Free Shipping

Discussion in Payment Methods started by Gelsemium • Mar 5, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When buying online I usually tend to accumulate some items so that I reach the minimum value after which I get free shipping. Do you usually do that too or you just buy what you need and pay shipping?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know the big local online shops over here offer free shipping no matter how much you buy, so when I buy from them I don't have to worry about the shipping fee. They even accept COD too. And when I buy from Ebay, I buy from mostly Chinese sellers, so the shipping is always free.

3. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Free shipping is something that appeals to me a lot, so I too will do all that I can in order to make sure that I qualify for it. If I am ordering something that will last, and that I will always use, I will usually order enough to make sure that the shipping is free for me. Over time, I estimate that this saves me quite a lot of money, as I no longer have to pay for what I would have done if I had just ordered the amount that I needed. Another thing that I do if free shipping is not an option is to order well in advance so that I can pay for just the cheapest shipping, or I will ask my friends and family if they need anything from the website so that we can share it. This works well for me and continues to do so!

4. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I try to use free shipping whenever I can as well. Shipping can cost up to $10 per order, so it is well worth trying to avoid paying for it. I have never thought about accumulating multiple items in my cart before actually making the purchase, but I am going to give it a try. I usually just wait until I have around $100 saved up and then I will make my purchases all at once. Most online retailers will let you save your shopping cart, so this is a good strategy.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually do because the minimum price to get free shipping isn't too high. Sometimes I'll wait around for another item that I can think of before making the purchase if I know my first item won't reach that amount. Sometimes when there are discounts I've used I'd be more open to just opting to pay for shipping since I've already saved myself some of the expense.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, pretty much like I do. I mean, I accumulate all the stuff I need and than I place my order, no need to be paying shipping taxes when all I have to do to avoid them is to organize myself and accumulate what I need.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never used to be fussed, but now because money's a little short; I might do what you do. Luckily for me, some of my favourite sites offer free worldwide shipping! Although that may turn out being problematic in terms of customs fees....what to do!

8. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have Amazon Prime, and it offers many benefits, and is well-worth the annual fee that they charge for Prime. Amazon is the online company that i mainly order from, and I either choose Prime-shipping items, or the add-ons that can be shipped free along with a Prime order.
    If I am ordering from someplace else, then I usually make a large enough order to get the free shipping. However, Amazon carries so many products that I can find about everything there, and not bother ordering anywhere else.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's lucky indeed! I am not so fortunate, but the main site where I buy from offers free shipping from 25€ so I just wait until I reach that value to place my order, I don't need to make a big effort, I reach the number fairly often.

10. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    Free shipping is great, but I think that they usually add that to the price of the product instead...

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I don't think it works like that philipgust, I've shopped in quite a few stores and the price is always the same, just from a certain amount on we get free shipping. I think this is just to stimulate us to buy more there and it works.

12. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    If I am buying from a retail store lie Walmart.com, Target.com, Fredericks.com or something else that has a brick and mortar counterpart I would normally wait until I can get to that free shipping threshold.
    If I am buying from an Amazon Seller, I purposefully search for sellers that offer free shipping no matter what.
    If it is sold and shipped by Amazon I will accumulate the $35 before placing the order though.

13. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    It depends on the total cost of items I am purchasing, and what are the prices of potential items I can add to the cart. Whenever possible, I'll go with free shipping. However, if the cost of the items is significantly less than the threshold, I'll pay off the extra shipping fees. Otherwise, if it's close enough, I'll add extra items in to remove the differential and exceed the threshold. After all, shipping and handling fees can go around $8 to $10 dollars or more here.

14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:

I agree, Gelsemium! I am very lucky and I doubt very much that the sites I frequent transfer the shipping fee elsewhere at all because they have very good ongoing sales. I rarely buy the full price items because the sales are just that good. Asos for instance, has a worldwide presence and is very popular. I love it and will always shop there for my clothes.

15. egrocket

egrocketNew Member

Threads:
    The greatest thing I have found is Prime shipping on Amazon.com. I buy a membership there annually and it is totally worth it, as it comes with free 2 day shipping on almost all products.

16. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I won't generally add something extra just to get the free shipping, but I might if it were only a dollar or two to avoid like ten bucks worth of shipping fees. Well, only if it were something I could use anyway. I wouldn't add in rubbish. I would rather just wait. I've often waited until I've accumulated enough to get free or reduced shipping. Hard to do if you're in a hurry though.

17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not all the time. Some online shops impose a rather exorbitant minimum purchase, say around $50 to $100. I see to it that I patronize online shops that offer free shipping for items around $25 to $30. There are many shops like that in my locality so I order from those shops instead of those based abroad. The latter have higher shipping fees (which usually cost more than the items you purchase).

#17Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  18. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Happyflowerlady@Happyflowerlady I really need to sit down and figure it out and see if it would be worthwhile for me. I tend to think not, since I do most of my Amazon shopping during the holidays. I just don't see to venture there too often throughout the year. Perhaps I should though. I'm usually above the $35 minimum needed for free shipping anyway, so I just don't tend to give it much thought. I usually have some gift cards saved up to use by then, so that's where I start my holiday shopping.

#18Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  19. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I usually go for free shipping, especially when I am buying from stores in foreign countries, as the shipping cost can be really expensive. I have checked several times, it's usually more than $25 just for shipping cost, and sometimes it's more expensive than the product itself.

I wish I can find more online shopping sites that offer free shipping.

20. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I am an occasional shopper now. I used to shop alot before when free shipping really was a useful thing.

Now that I just buy few random stuff I don't really see it as an enticing offer.