Free Shot Clinics

Discussion in Pets started by Zyni • Feb 20, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you ever taken your pet to an event for free shots or booster shots? I no longer have any pets, but I remember that during the spring and summer they used to hold these events occasionally. We took our pets for rabies vaccines. They gave us a little tag for their collars too.

Some pet wellness events were completely free, others charged a small fee. All were cheaper than the vet. It might be worth looking into.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I have a pet I would use the free clinic to get the required shots. If I had to pay for it the pet may not get the shot depending on the budget at the time. Free shots always work into a tight budget.

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have actually never seen any kind of an event where they offered free vaccinations for pets, and I had no idea that such things even existed.
    It seems like most vet clinic charge an awful lot nowadays for any kind of pet shots; and even at a clinic, where everyone came for that special thing all at once, I would think that they would still charge something.
    Years ago , when I had horses, the local vet clinic would have a similar thing, and it was for worming the horses, and might have also included the annual shots needed to take your horse on trail rides.
    Even though it was cheaper than just going to the vet with your horse, it still cost because of the expense of the worm medicine and vaccines.
    I think that this would also be a great promotional tool for the vet clinic. If I took my pet to a free clinic for their shots, then I would most likely use that same clinic the next time that I needed a vet for anything.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never been to any such events but I most certainly would take advantage of them if any were held in my town. A few years back when there were rumors that an infectious disease was spreading in the county, vets did come round to vaccinate pets. The owners had to pay for those services but they weren't charging much money.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think booster shots were part of it too. It's been a while, but I know they had these things all over. I think they aren't as widely advertised as they could be, which could be due to limited funding. They need the money for the vaccines rather than for advertising, would be my guess.

I'd ask your vet or local Chamber or Commerce or just take a look around online to see if there are any offers near you. Pet care gets expensive, so might as well save where you can while keeping your pet healthy.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have used those. The shots aren't free, but they are heavily discounted. It is a good way to save money on vet expenses which are often quite costly. They are very popular in these parts. Petsmart offers a wellness clinic for pets where I think you can get shots for low prices, and just generally get your pet checked out.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our local community government have those free vaccines for pets during summer - anti rabies, parvo and some other shots the so called 6-in-1. But we do not bring our dogs there. Although it is expensive to get the shot from the vets, we pay the premium on that instead of bringing to the public clinic because we don't trust the people there. A neighbor said there was not vet and the attendant was the one dispensing the shots. Their reason? They are just animals anyway.

8. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have only had dogs for a little more than a year and have not heard of these. They would be great to be able to do that instead of taking them to the vets as you said it can be expensive. I wonder if the big name pet store near me would hold this sort of thing there. I will have to look into that. Thanks for the tip.

9. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Sounds like a wonderful idea - but oh if only this was so everywhere - because if it was - its something that I would for sure take full advantage of.

Clearly I'm living in the wrong country - particularly as - whether something is mandatory or not - as the law where I live - dictates that the responsibility always lies with the owner - regardless of cost - and vets here never offer discounts for anything and nor do we have clinics offering special deals either - let alone any discounted or free - immunization, neutering or spaying programs - we have no option but to pay full price for everything ourselves.

10. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I am starting to wonder where these sorts of things were when I was really looking into getting shots for my dogs, or where they are now for that matter. Maybe it is just the area where I live because I have not heard much of anything like this, but I would love to see it and would very much consider it, and probably end up going. If it is in the name of public health I can see the reasoning, so maybe I just need to look harder.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I read somewhere that Petco has a mobile unit for this type of thing. I am pretty sure you can also get discounts of shots and other pet medications for this store. There are probably other pet stores that offer similar things by way of competition. I think it's worth looking into.

I know people who have lots of pets and could save a bundle if they got free or even discounted vaccinations, boosters, and other stuff like flea and tick medication. Some people are interested though. Oh well. That's their choice, but I thought I'd throw it out there for people who are interested.