Free Site For Movies, Books, Etc.

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Diane Lane • Feb 17, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are you familiar with

? I just learned about it, and it's based off of your library card. Here's information from the site:
    welcome to hoopla
    Thanks for signing up. Here's some information about hoopla so you know what to expect:

Your library allows patrons to borrow up to 8 titles from hoopla each month.
    Your library offers audiobook, movie, music, comic, ebook and television titles through hoopla.

Note that it's HooplaDigital, not just Hoopla, which appears to be an entirely different site. I like the fact that you can access HooplaDigital via their website, or also via their apps. All you need to sign up is your name, an email address, a password that you create, and your library card number. My library participates, but I'm not sure if all of them do. If yours doesn't, perhaps you could suggest it to them, since this is a nice resource for those looking to get more from their local library, as well as saving some money.

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, that is cool to know. Thanks for that Diane Lane! The problem is, I lost my library card a long time ago, and always use my drivers license, when I am checking out material, however, I guess I could get the number from the library. Hoopla Digital sounds like a really good site.

3. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    This sounds like a very interesting site. I would love to be able to get free movies and if it is as easy as using your library card then all the better. I will have to see if my local libraries do that and sign up. I am sure my children would love to be able to watch movies this way too. I may need to visit our city library to get new cards since I have not had one from them in a very long time. Thanks for the information on this site @Diane Lane@Diane Lane

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The site has audio books and music also. It has interesting titles to look thru. It is a site I have bookmarked for later. I like to read and will be looking for a few good books.

5. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Maybe you can check out the site and see if there is anything that interests you. Unlike some such sites, it seems to have a lot of modern, relevant items, so I think it will be popular with families and adults alike. If you see things that interest you, it might be worth replacing your library card.

I wasn't even aware that library cards expire. I don't recall that happening when I was growing up. It seemed once you had a card, it was good for life, but I noticed recently that 2 of my cards (one from Houston, when I lived up there, and one from another local town I would visit when I was in school) had expired. I enjoyed having the 3 different cards, because sometimes the others had items my library didn't, replacing the cards isn't urgent, since I still have my main card.

6. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing this @Diane Lane@Diane Lane . The site looks very interesting and seems to have some very update stuff.

7. Ke Gordon

Threads:
    I do know what my library card number is even though I don't have the physical card anymore. I think I could use that on the Hoopla site. I know you can get free books on kindle by using your library card as well. This is one of the things that I need. It is just one of the options that I might look for, and utilze although I haven't done it yet.

8. Diane Lane

Threads:
    You're welcome @atlmom5@atlmom5, I'm glad you found it useful. I love finding sites like this that not only save us money, but enrich our lives. I've seen more and more people talking about cutting the cord, and this can be a nice adjunct site to add to Hulu and Netflix.

@Ke Gordon@Ke Gordon Yes, I think you can use the number without having the physical card. It might be good to have them issue a replacement though, just in case you decide at some point to go to the library. I use my physical card to check books out, like at the self-checkout registers at grocery stores and Walmart. You scan your card, then scan each book individually, and can either print out a receipt, or have one emailed.

@Pat@Pat Yes, you're right, they have other things besides movies other videos. I hope more people become aware of it and use the site.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, I hope HooplaDigital isn't exclusive to Western countries like Hulu and other online media sites. But based on your reply above it seems my suspicion is correct. I currently make do with Putlocker for movies and Project Gutenberg for free license-free electronic books.

10. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Well, it's somehow based off of your local library system and individual library card, so perhaps it is limited to the United States or Western countries, but it might be worth checking into. I'm sure someone in your country could at least model a program on HooplaDigital to provide access to free entertainment, but I really don't have any specifics on how it works.

11. Ke Gordon

Threads:
    I just signed up for Kindle Unlimited but, I doubt I am going to keep it, as it is 10 dollars a month. That isn't alot, but truthfully, I will probably download some books and then cancel. Hoopla, being free sounds a lot better. There was one specific book I wanted to read so I got the Kindle Unlimited...rather than buying it. I am supposed to be on a free trial right now of Kindle Unlimited, but I bet they charged my card.

12. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I tend to forget to cancel subscriptions like that, and end up paying for at least a few months before I realize. $10/month is too much for me right now, so I tend to read library books and also the free ones I learn about through Bookbub. There are a few authors I've signed up with and get emails from who notify subscribers of free books, but I haven't read those yet, although I probably will in the future.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess this site is again intended for US residents, since they require a library card number. Well I am content with downloading using torrents and various websites anyway, so it's all good, lol.

14. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    Oooh thank you so much for sharing this site! I have been using Overdrive app to get books and audiobooks from my library, but I'm really excited to check this out now. I'd love more choices and movies too would be fantastic!

15. Naturalbeauty92

Naturalbeauty92New Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful information. I will definitely give this site a try. I usually go to the library twice a week but it is hard with a 1 year old son. I think this site will be useful for me.

16. Ke Gordon

Threads:
    I haven't signed up for this yet, but I plan to. I have some free books on my kindle that I can read right now, as I mentioned, so I will look at Hoopla when I get a chance. MOst of the free books are new writers trying to get established, so it might be nice to read some by writers who are already established! I don't get to the library that often either.

17. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Yes, it's definitely good to read some polished authors, as well as those just starting out. Hoopla Digital is a nice adjunct to the regular offerings of your local public library. It's amazing how many free and low cost books are available, but sometimes it's necessary to use the library to get some of the standard books and authors.

18. NickJonathan98

NickJonathan98Member

Threads:
    I haven't heard of that site but thank you for sharing it. However, I don't believe it's as easy to use as it claims because many people do not have a library card.

It would be much better if they allowed everyone to download the e-Books and audio e-Books rather than ask for a library card.

By the way, do they accept any library card or do they ask a specific one (e.g. public US library)?

19. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I am not a member of any library. The office where I work has a library but we use out ID cards to issue books. For e-books I use kindle. I am planning of subscribing to Kindle unlimited to get unlimited free e-books.

20. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I had never heard of this site but it is very interesting to know about. It's like renting but for free and free is always great. I will have to give this a try someday. Very great idea they came up with and thank you for sharing