Free Software For Watermarking Photos

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Theo • Nov 6, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Can anyone recommend some good free software to watermark photos? I have a Mac, and I though it would be better to do this now before I start posting on my new blog. I just want a simple watermark with copyright, but I need something easy and also subtle.

I hate to see heavily watermarked images, but I understand why they do it, but I don't want to ruin the overall look of the image.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you've got photoshop you could use it to add a watermark to the images you intend to use on your blog. And you could also easily add a Copyright notice to the images.

There's software I've heard of but never use which makes the whole process a lot easier. Since I've never used it I can't vouch for the veracity of the rumors. But since the software is free, you can download it, test it and find out for yourself if it's as good as it purportedly is.

You can take a look at the CNet review here:

3. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    Theo, I use Pixlr Express online almost every day. It's free and easy and it allows you to choose the density of any of the overlays or text that you would like to add. I would recommend creating a water mark that you would like to use, like your name and all rights reserved, and then adding it as an overlay to your photographs. Or you can simply add one as you go because sometimes placement is tricky. It also allows you to resize your photos which is great for uploading. Somehow, they do it without degrading the quality.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will bear this in mind and maybe use it later. Currently I have just added a copyright text and made the images smaller. It's more of a deterrent to be honest as they are images that other people can take too of products. Right now I am building up content on a site and don't want to spend too much time on images, but I have found they are necessary and do help.

I will experiment when I have more time and then create a watermark and then go back and redo the images. I'm still mulling over the name of the site, so that's why I may change the name and thus all the other things.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pardon me for my ignorance but this is the first time I have come across watermarking photos. I agree that in this age of digital copying, almost anything digital can be copied and worse, can be edited or retouched particularly with pictures. So maybe I have to check it out - the software that does watermarking and I will pass on this info to my husband who is the custodian of all of our digital photos.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even though people should know they cannot use images without consent, for example people that put them on pixabay allow them to be used freely, or other sites like that. Creative Commons has several licenses that may allow sharing with attributions. By watermarking them with even a text, it indicates that it is not to be shared without prior permission.

7. evelination

evelinationMember

Threads:
    Yeah, but... I pretty much believe nobody goes by that anymore and am also sure that this Creative Commons reglementation isn't really forced upon anybody. It's just not worth it, unless we're talking about millions of dollars of damage, which isn't applicable for the most part.