Free Trial Of Amazon Prime

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Zyni • Apr 12, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you tried the free trial of Amazon Prime? Did you think it was good enough to sign up for it after your trial? We're doing the free trial now. Although I never wanted to sign up for this, my husband is convinced that it's a good idea. So far, I've watched some of the original programming and he got free 2 day shipping on an order.

What did you do with yours? Are you still a member? Do you make the most of it?

I guess I just don't like signing up for new things. Do you?

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't checked out Amazon Prime lately, because I'm on a tight budget. I did look into it in the past, when it was fairly new, and back then they didn't have much in the way of programming that I was interested in, and I just didn't shop on Amazon enough to make it worth the cost. From what I've heard, the programming has improved, and I would like to see Bosch, because it looks like a show I'd enjoy, but I don't have the funds right now. If things improve, though, this is something I'd consider, because especially with the shipping aspect, it looks pretty attractive.

3. Jitters

JittersNew Member

Threads:
    I signed up for the free period.
    Used it to get fast deliveries and watch movies.
    4 months later, I obviously got suckered in and kept it :p
    I now just use it for the movies, it's good as now I don't go cinema as much so like to tell myself I'm saving money...

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Zyni@Zyni there's absolutely nothing wrong with trying things out for free before committing to a full subscription, so good on you :) I haven't tried Prime Amazon, simply because I don't think I'd use it to its fullest potential. However, about 2 months ago I tried their Kindle Unlimited service, which I'd been praying they'd offer. I actually really liked it, but in the end, didn't sign up. I kept seeing all these eBooks about why to steer clear of it, but I'm not going to have someone tell me why I shouldn't sign up hehe I actually plan on going ahead with it shortly, because I really liked it :)

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've tried it before and it's great to use especially for television shows and films. You do have to be careful and unsubscribe if you don't want to continue, as the money is taken out of any cards you have on account. I had signed up with a debit card with no funds left on it, but they took it from my credit card which was stored ages ago and I had forgotten about it.

For most people it's worth it with families and if they order things, but it depends on if you have purchases coming up too.

6. Lushlala

Threads:
    You're right there Theo....you have to be careful with these trials because I strongly believe part of the reason these retailers like them is because most people forget to cancel them before they elapse. The trial ends and they debit your account. By the time you realise your mistake, it's a little late and it becomes a hassle to wriggle out of the contract. Some people are even too lazy to get into all that and just seethe contract out. I was very careful when I tried out the KU free offer. I marked it on my calendar and made sure cancel it with a day to go LOL It's happened to me before and I didn't fancy a repeat hehe

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, that's why I tend to avoid stuff like this. My husband put a reminder on his phone for a couple of days before the trial is supposed to end. We'll decide then if we should go forward with it. I probably would forget to even set the reminder, so good on him. :p

You guys make some really good points. Even though they raised the price recently, it is still a good deal if you use it enough at roughly 8 bucks a month. It's just under what my Netflix subscription costs me, and it has other benefits.

I'm glad the Kindle one worked out for you, @Lushlala@Lushlala. I wanted to get something like that for my mother.

8. Lushlala

Threads:
    @Zyni@Zyni...I LOVE my Kindle and couldn't be without it. After I tried the Kindle Unlimited service I took a couple of weeks to decide if it was really for me. I was a little undecided because of some of the negative reviews. But in the end, I decided to go for it. I signed up this past Saturday, and I feel if it works for me, it doesn't really matter what the reviews say, right? Plus I can cancel at any time. We got my mum in law one and she too loves it. I'm sure your mum would, too :)

9. rubymusic1

rubymusic1New Member

Threads:
    I got it and didn't realise I'd clicked to get it, so therefore didn't get the chance to try it. I did get a few free one day deliveries though... But I thought that was just down to my student discount!

From friends who have had it though, they've said it's great and worth it.

10. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To add to this, if you have more than one card stored in their database (and they keep them forever), it might charge a card that you don't want charged. I prefer to pay for most things with a debit card for example, but they also have my credit card number. I wouldn't want this put on a credit card, even if I do decide to keep it.

For people who might have forgotten to cancel, it could get charged to a card that you don't have enough money on or something, or put on your credit card instead of debit. Something to keep in mind.

I did see (well, my husband did) that you can also pay for this monthly now as well, instead of pay a lump sum. Of course, paying the lump sum gives you a discount and is the better deal.

11. kdb890

kdb890New Member

Threads:
    My free trial ends tomorrow. I have been absolutely LOVING Amazon Prime. The free shipping and the movies/TV shows are awesome. Hell it's cheaper than Netflix, which ends up being over $120 a year when Amazon is only $99 a year, plus they have monthly installments now instead of just having to pay the $99 all at once. I don't have the money for Prime right now, but it's definitely something I want when I'm more financially stable!

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used the Prime membership for the movies in the past. My daughter used it for free shipping and quick shipping. I have Netflix on a monthly payment which is about the whole year Amazon Prime and that is just for tv shows.

13. Lushlala

Threads:
    @Zyni@Zyni I hate how sneaky they can be like that! I too would much rather pay on my debit card. I'm glad to say I cut up my credit card and no longer have one, anyway :) I think it's great that you can pay on a monthly basis, and the fact that you can also cancel whenever you want. I mistakenly signed up for the KindleUnlimited service about 2 weeks ago (oops!) but wasn't too put out because I'd been eyeballing it for a while ever since I tried the service. I figured I'd go along with it and cancel it if I needed to at point. Not sure why it seems so unpopular with some, I LOVE it :)

But what baffled me was that it stated on the page that you could only pay via credit card, yet it went off my debit card??

#13May 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  14. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I have signed up for the free trial and I got free delivery but I pretty much forgot about the amazon prime video. Just now I got remembered of the movie that I wanted to watch and I will search and try to see. It has got a wide range of movies and I will try it in my free time :)

15. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Something about Amazon is still a little unnerving to me. It has to do with a personal experience so I do not like to really talk bad about the company and hope it was a one time thing, but still I have that second guessing now.

16. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I have got the free trial too but I never tried it. I never used to try such free trial period where we need to pay later on. I mean why to go for it if we have other options with free. Here we having Jio sim card with jio apps on which we can see live TV channels, movies, programmes , music videos and many for free and in HD mode. So why to pay for the same.

17. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    @rubymusic1@rubymusic1 This happened to me and I wonder if I actually did click on it or whether they just subscribed me to it and thought I might not notice or would decide to use it anyway. I cancelled mine for the time being as I don't need any extra expense at the moment but I might look at it again later.

#17Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2017
  18. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bought from Amazon the other day and they are sneaky, as soon as you click check out and go to delivery, they go to a whole page of Prime and ask to sign up to get free delivery. It's hard to locate the 'no' button and looks misleading because it didn't give me the options.

I had to go back to the basket and try to get rid of the page, and then look through the options. I've had Prime before, but I don't need another trial because it's fine for regular users but not for someone who buys a few times a year. The problem is remembering to cancel it, as no reminders are sent, and if you cut it close, you may end up getting charged.

19. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I had an option to try Amazon Prime for 1 month for free then it was 9$ per month for a year. I think it was not a bad deal. And as you can see some of the time we don't use Amazon that much. So subscribing after the free trial is not much of worth it. So I have not yet subscribed. If amazon chooses to offer the extended trial more than a month, I may be up for it. I guess I just have to check out other offers before finalizing.

20. annetam

annetamNew Member

Threads:
    I also signed up for the free period. I think It`s GREAT