Free Trials - Anti-virus

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Jason76 • Feb 14, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes we either don't trust a product or for some reason, we cannot fit in a bill for a yearly anti-virus subscription. In this case, we might go for a free trial. Well, two popular trials that exist today involve a 15 day one with Webroot and a 30 day one with Avg. Both don't require a credit card. Does anyone view one as better than the other? Does anyone know of other free trials besides the ones I mentioned?

2. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    360 Total security is the best, It's free version is not free trial, it has ads but despite of the existence of ads, I can tolerate it better than Avira and AVG because those two slows down my PC really badly. I like 360 security because it is not laggy and to make it better it is also a junk file cleaner!

This software just gets rid of 5 GB worth of junk file on my pc! Now my PC runs faster with no worries. This Anti-virus is also game friendly, I hate how suspicious Avira about how "dangerous" the games I play. This Anti-virus can run smoothly even if you are playing a game. the ads are not that annoying compared to the lags Avira and AVG gave me.

3. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    @Beast_Titan@Beast_Titan Thanks for the recommendation. I will give it a try. At present I am using Avast free version which is working fine. But it never comes up with any alerts or anything. I think it is just sleeping on it. Earlier I was using Bitdefender which is a fast antivirus and very light on PCs. But once it freezed my entire PC and collapsed. So I uninstalled it and switched over to Avast.

5 GB of junk file is too much I guess. I think you were not maintaining your disk space well. It is better if you use a trusted freeware like Ccleaner to get rid of unwanted files.

#3Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2017
  4. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I have used the free version of Avast, Avira, AVG, Kapersky but they couldn't warrant a better computer's protection. At the present my anti virus app is ESET Nod32 and likewise I am using the CCleaner top get rid of those junk file after I clean my PC.

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Actually, the 360 anti-virus people aren't stupid, far from it. They are making a ton of money off ads and their web browser is the 2nd most used after Internet Explorer. Finally, they control 96 percent of the market share in China, the world's most populated nation. However, honestly, I haven't heard of them until I read this thread, so I went and checked out their web page.

6. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I hadn't heard of 360 anti-virus either and sounds reasonably good. I am tired of using free trial versions for only a limited period. I have used many AVG, Avira, Kaspersky, Norton, Malaware Bytes etc

7. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    360 is really good for a free Anti-virus. The ads only show up when you just turned on your PC but after you closed it, It will only show up the next time you turned on your pc. The ads are not aggressive at all as it is an anti-virus and a junk file cleaner at the same time. It can also detect some viruses that Avira or AVG will never notice. I use to make a rotation of free trials from different anti-virus softwares but now I am very contented with 360 security.

8. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Regardless of what area or product types you are talking about, taking advantage of the free trials is a great way to get some savings. It is also great to actually try things out and see if they are worth the money.

9. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    You are actually safer with free trials and free softwares because you are not giving out your credit card number to pay for a full version. Years ago the personal information of paid members of Bitdefender got compromised because of a major hacking to it's clients. Your personal information won't be safe with a paid version because you will give out information that might be sensitive. Free softwares like 360 security is much more better because not only it is free, it is much more safer and lightweight.

10. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I don't have any antivirus installed on my computer right now. Well I've tried several ones before like AVG, Avira, Kaspersky and Avast but I don't find them helpful. They even make my computer sluggish and laggy so I uninstalled them. The only one I'm using right now for protection is MalwareBytes which I find more helpful than those antivirus, with the help of Clean Master. They are both light and does the job well :)

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've tried AVG, Norton & laptop came installed with McAfee. The ads drive me up the wall, so no thanks to them. I like free and safe, so I found Microsoft Security Essential, which is totally free. Microsoft Security Essential is very good, non intrusive, I play games too, so I got a lot of feedback with the other trial security ones, but Microsoft Security Essentials is good, fast& works. Then my friend put in my laptop COMODO, which is free, fast and works. I've tried those free trials, but free is better. I've asked the techs and they say we can have one security service download in our computers at a time.

12. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I like Kaspersky. You can try it for free. The paid version, offers much more, of course.

It's regular price is higher than what I want to pay, but I always find great deals on it around the holidays. It may be on offer at other times, but that's when mine runs out. I always get great bargains on it at that point in time.

We originally got it way back when my husband's computer was infected. Between it (the free version then) and Malwarbytes, we got things cleaned up and it saved us a wipe. Since then, we started buying Kaspersky. Newegg and Amazon both offer good deals on it from time to time.

I think the cheapest deal we got was 2 computers covered for $14.95 (for one year). The best one we found this year was 3 systems covered for $24.95. It's well worth it to me.

13. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I try to avoid antivirus with the trials. They seem to be more annoying than the virus. They keep on giving some warnings and message. And they make people pay for the product. And that's how they seem to be keeping the money. Most of the virus companies also have the fake viruses. So they stay into the business like this. I have instead settled for the AVG antivirus for now.

14. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I would suggest trying Avast and malwarebytes, their trials are pretty far. You are better off using both for a while and really think about using an anti virus that will service you longer.

15. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    McAfee and Norton also offer free trials, but I didn't really purchase their paid version because I'm already content with my free AV, I have used Avast and AVG, and so far, I'm satisfied with their services, so why pay when I can get one for free, right?

16. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I guess avast also provides free trials sometimes. I am not sure if this free trial available all the time, but few days back I got the offer to try out paid version for certain period. Though I didn't try it as I am quite satisfied with free version too. It is going really well since many years. So I am not looking for any paid anti virus for now. I can go with free and save money for now.