Free Tupperware

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Sunflogun • Sep 14, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Tupperware is not that expensive, even so if we can get it for free why should we buy it? That's what I do would ice-cream plastic boxes and similar stuff, I save them and use them as tupperware... :) Anyone doing the same?

2. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I do this too. Ice cream containers are sturdy and always come in handy for food storage. It's a great way to save money. You get the ice cream and then continual use of the container for a long time. Since I love ice cream, I have a nice collection of containers.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I get free plastics when I buy deli meats in the plastic wares like Hillshire deli meats that I buy at Walmart. It comes vacuum packed in their juices neatly placed in a plastic container. I reuse the plastic container for everything. I like it when I can get a free container to reuse when I buy deli meats at Walmart! Free is best.

4. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, makes perfect sense. I try to keep larger plastic containers for that same reason. I find takeout containers from Chinese food places to be particularly well-suited for leftovers and the like.

Just be careful that you don't keep the same plastics for too long. Some containers that were meant to only be used once, or maybe a few times, will start to break down at a chemical level and sort of 'leak' into food, particularly when heated. It's not a contamination you'd ever really notice, and it probably wouldn't hurt your body after a few times, but the chemicals can build up over time.

5. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    My mom does that. She save margarine tubes, yogurt containers, and cottage cheese tubs. They are great for storing things. They really come in handy when she wants to give you some food to take home, then she doesn't worry about getting her tupperware back. I personally have switched to using glass containers to store food since I usually take the leftovers to work and worry about the chemicals leaking out when the container are heated in the microwave.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also save and use those ice cream containers because they are quite useful for storing things in. I don't know anyone who throws them away. We also haven't bought Tupperware for the longest time and we just use those ice cream containers and microwavable containers that come with the food that we buy.

7. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Experience have taught me that storage space is best used when containers are square or rectangular. This is why I used to love a boxed-storage system available on Tupperware until my budget ran so low to afford them.

It was then when I began to reuse food containers, but privileging square/rectangular shaped, like those pretty red canisters of Hill Bros coffee, and many more that serve for the purpose like these:

0002900001818_A?$img_size_233x233$.0004060004332_A?$img_size_233x233$.FrenchVanilla.0007874209732_A?$img_size_233x233$.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally prefer to buy proper tupperware, because it's sturdier, more durable, seals flush and is easier on the eye. I have tried using old containers and I hate that they become warped and misshapen after a few uses and washes, probably because they're not really designed to be durable. I have a set of gorgeous tupperware that I've had for years and it looks as good as new.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I get lots of plastic containers from takeouts and various products from groceries as well and I always try to wash and keep them just for future use. If the container is something I think I don't want to reuse again and again, then I will just save it for one more use such as when I want to give some food for guests to take home or if I'm bringing food to a place and I don't want to have to bring back the containers. There are lots of uses for these disposable containers which is why it really is best to keep them when you find a good one.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    oh
    Oh yes, I rarely buy any storage containers form the store. I use cool whip containers a lot of my storage needs. These are the the right size for many leftovers I choose to keep. Anything sold in a plastic container with a lid is helpful to store items. I haven't had any real Tupperware for years.

11. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I reuse plastic containers in the freezer. They don't last very long at all but are OK for a couple of uses. I make a lot of tomato-based dishes and find that this will stain any type of plastic container. So rather than pay out for something that's just going to look grotty after its first use, I'll reuse something like an old Flora margarine tub. You can also write directly on the lid or tub too, which helps prevent those "mystery lumps" that sometimes happen after food has lost its label.

12. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I reuse many containers, but usually the glass ones. I don't trust a lot of plastics these days, especially the ones that weren't designed for repeated use and/or to be used with heat, since I will sometimes re-heat food directly in the storage container. I don't have much Tupperware these days, but I do have one in particular that is large and square, and I use it whenever I make a large amount of something, because it holds a lot. I'm still planning to replace my Tupperware ice cream container, but haven't gotten around to that yet.

13. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    In my area we call that "Italian Tupperware."
    I use it all the time! I find it doesn't last very long though.
    One word of caution, DO NOT use it in the microwave as it can release chemicals into your food its not meant to be heated.
    Real Tupperware is still awesome though and worth the money, I have pieces my mom gave me from the 80's that still work and seal great.

14. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I'm actually collecting plastic containers and dishes from Chinese takeouts because they are fancy and cost nothing compared with the price of these as ceramic/porcelain piece in stores.

I remember to have been fan of Tupperware even after my budget for these recipients was over, but I suddenly realized that they are designing exactly the same items that they did 25 years ago and probably 50 years ago, as some of those items that nowadays come in fancy colors, were already in my mom's collection when I was a child.

I like to have some "classics" and yet have a few Tupperware items of those I bought over 20 years ago, but another advantage or recycling plastic containers coming with foods is that we can indeed give them away with no sorrow if these are not returned, and whenever you are tired of a style or a specific recipient, you can always discard and get a replacement with ease.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do that too and sometimes I'm even more inclined to buy somewhere that uses those containers just because they are so convenient to transport and very useful past the initial use. I also like to cook for others and I also sometimes like to bring lunches so these are great for me. Additionally, I also collect plastic spoons I get from deliveries and takeout for the same reason. It's nice to be able to bring lunch and then just throw everything away afterwards instead of having to bring them home again.

16. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, I thought it would be unlikely that I was the only one doing it... After all why buying special boxes and Tupperware when we have them for free in the products we buy. After all, we are paying for the packages too.