Free WiFi finder?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by Alaska7 • Aug 10, 2012.

1. Alaska7

Alaska7Member

Threads:
    I was wondering if anybody knows of an app that locates free WiFi close to your location? With the new data restrictions, I'm always looking for free WiFi! Something along the lines of this:
    free-wi-fi.

2. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    i haven't tried it though but there are lots of it if you look at the app store. SHAW EXO WIFI for example. there's also
    Free Wi-Fi Finder By JiWire Inc, WiFi HD Free and Boingo Wi-Finder. You should at least look at their ratings before downloading.

3. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    Free Wi-Fi Finder By JiWire Inc is the one I use. You can download the listings to your iPhone so that you aren't using data in looking for hotspots.
    Wifi Get Scan Lite is another one I use. You can save your search results as well so you aren't using data.

They both do the same thing.

4. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I usually don't use an app I just roam my Wi-Fi and look at the list and see if there are any open connections. I tried using an app in the past, but it would locate mostly hotspots, and business Wi-Fi. Some of them claimed to be free like a coffee shop I found, but I found out you have to buy something for them to give you the password.

5. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Please check this link it might have relevant information to your Question:

6. Alaska7

Alaska7Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the responses everybody. I think the JiWire app might be what I'm looking for, it definitely seems close to what I posted in the picture. The trick has been finding a good one with Android support- most seem to cater to the iPhone.

7. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    I have an app called, as may be obvious, "wi fi finder"
    You can download the database so when you don't have wifi you can still find the hotspots
    It's free in the apple store

8. guardgold

guardgoldNew Member

Threads:
    I need another application... share with me :(

9. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I don't like any of them that I have found so far. They miss a lot of them. There are more wifi hotspots that I have found on my own. I do keep looking tho for a wifi finder.

One thing I have done recently is notice where my phone has picked them up. I noticed that when we went to dinner the other night, the ones we must have driven by as they were in the phone. That gave me ideas for using them later.

10. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just look around for Wi-Fi hotspots manually through my phone. It's easier, and I generally know where the free WiFi is in my area, which is common at Starbucks and McDonald's locations. There are tons of others though. I mean, I'm from San Diego, so you can't go that far without finding some free WiFi.