Free Windows 10 Upgrade.

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by LilAnn • Jun 28, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah it is funny. I feel the same way too DreekLass I like Windows 7 though. I believe that Windows 10 is for persons who are "that" tech savvy or just purchased a new PC or laptop. I have a backup PC that doesn't have anything on it so I did the upgrade on that one.

My biggest problem is the "Cortana." It doesn't let you set your default internet browser to Google Chrome which I prefer over Internet Explorer. Incompatibility to Windows 10 I suppose.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would consider myself to be someone who is tech savvy. All things computer and techy, I taught myself, and most systems seem to follow a similar procedure and way of doing things. But I just cannot be bothered to have to learn something new, even if it is similar to the previous model. I have no experience with windows 8 either. So I'd be going straight from windows 7 to windows 10.

I have never heard of Cortana before. Perhaps you could Google how to set your default browser as Chrome using W10?

3. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass Maybe when I venture over to my backup computer if had Windows 8 and I didn't like that version either. Just trying to find the start button was a headache. There comes a time when you become comfortable in your ways and just don't want to be bothered with the challenges of the changing times. It's kind of like 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.' In my case, 'if it works for me, I'm not going to change it.'

4. DreekLass

Threads:
    I have seen Youtube videos - tutorials on various different things. And the people who were doing some of the tutorials were using Windows 10, and it wasn't so hard for me to follow the tutorials despite the operating system differences, since I have windows 7. There were a few differences that I did not like though. Just trying to find the start button was a headache? Lol. I completely understand, as I feel the same way. I work online too, so I don't have time to be learning something completely new.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass I told my son the exact same thing yesterday as we were talking about Windows 10. One shouldn't have to go to Youtube to find out how to do anything some kind of instructions should have appeared after the download was completed not just Cortana. Maybe if that had happened I would have been more apt to keep Windows 10. To tell me my files are where I left them was misleading to me. I also had problems finding the start button and the programs I had on Windows 7, and my files, and my photos da da da...

I wonder if anyone else has had problems.

6. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard bad things about the windows 10 update. I kept getting notifications to upgrade, but I was too skeptical to even try. I have 8 right now and it's just fine for me. I was also worried that I wouldn't be able to get used to the upgrade fast enough. I like sticking with what I know. But I started to consider it until I heard horrible reviews about it. It still had quite a few problems, so I decided against it.

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    If you can't find the start button, have you tried pressing the start widows key on your keyboard? Whenever my computer is being a bit unresponsive, I hit the windows key, and the start menu will come up. I can't see them changing that in more upgraded versions of windows, because all the keyboards are still the same.

8. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My son asked me the same question and I looked at him and said 'What?' I don't use 'that' button and never have. I click, click, click :rolleyes:. You just shared something new to me, thanks.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    Lol. You are welcome. But if there appears to be no other way for you to access the start menu with the operating system upgrade, that button always seems to come in handy. I seldom use it. But it does come in very handy when my computer slows or freezes. It almost wakes it up again, and I am able to get to all of the programs that are installed.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm starting to think this Windows 10 is a total scam. My laptop had just blacked out around 2 months ago after I opened Blue Stacks - something that never happened before. I mean, my Blue Stacks program had been there for a year and now, after downloading Windows 10, my laptop crashed. I tried rebooting it but to my dismay, all my files disappeared. I'm so at a loss right now. I don't even know if using a recovery software will work but I'm crossing my fingers it will.

11. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not want Windows 10. I am on a limited data plan here, and 10 users a lot more of my data. One of my computers tries to keep downloading it too. I also know alot of people who have had problems with it...maybe someday if I have unlimited internet I will experiement iwth it but not now.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    For a good month or so, the windows 10 notification was not appearing at all, and I had no way to get it back up again, not that I wanted to, as I do not trust Windows 10, or want to upgrade to it. But a few days ago, the Windows ten notification appeared again, and it has changed in its presentation. I don't know how to get rid of it.

13. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have noticed the change as well. It has become more frequent too, it's really annoying. Does anyone have any idea how to stop it from popping up or when this promotion will stop?

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yes, and I am sure that it is slowing my computer down. Usually when my computer wants to install updates, it runs sort of slowly until I install them, and it has been crashing and lagging a lot since the windows 10 offer reappeared. I don't know how to get rid of it. i am afraid that if I turn my updates off altogether, I won't have any of my updates come through at all.

15. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I Googled Windows 10 and read FAQs and found the following. I'm going to do this. I hope this helps others who are tired of the pop up promotion for Windows 10.

How can I cancel my reservation? I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 at all.

Open the Reservation app in the notification area (double click it)

Click the Hamburger menu in the upper left corner, then select View Confirmation.

In the lower left, click Cancel reservation and then confirm (twice).

16. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Just to follow up I cancelled my reservation yesterday and haven't had any pop ups for the Windows 10 promotion.

17. jamesfende

jamesfendeMember

Threads:
    Been a rough ride with Windows 10 but I still do think you will be better off upgrading. There is a lot of good stuff, like the Action Centre, that makes it worth it

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    It has been a rough ride with windows 10 for you? In what way? I think I would be better off upgrading to Windows 10 too, because sooner or later there will be things that do not work with Windows 7, I am sure. I hate how users are forced to upgrade to the new operating system every so years. At least this one is free though.

19. laurelbell85

laurelbell85Member

Threads:
    My computer is still trying to get me to upgrade to windows 10. I don't even like windows 8, so what makes me think I'm going to like windows 10? I really like windows 7 and I refuse to upgrade my laptop because that is what I am running off of on that. On my home desktop I'm on 8.1...which is stupid. I'm going to keep my computers the way they are until I'm forced to update to a newer OS. If I don't like 10...can I go back to an earlier version? I heard some people when they upgrade, windows 8 is saved on their computer in a folder where they can revert back to it? I don't know if it's just something that happens when you upgrade during the free upgrade period or what though. I guess I should do more research before I decide what to do.

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    I have not made the leap from windows 7 to windows 8 either. I just could not be bothered to have to learn a new operating system ,especially when a lot of the reason why I use my laptop is because I earn money online with it. I need to work every day on it, and I don't really have time to be learning a new operating system, or dealing with the faux pas of not knowing a new operating system well enough. I will not be impressed if it costs me money, you know?