Free Windows 10 Upgrade.

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by LilAnn • Jun 28, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I believe if you upgrade to Windows 10 you have 30 days to revert back to your previous OS, if you don't revert back then you are stuck with it. There are some videos on YouTube that you might considering looking at before you do anything. I chose to reject my reserved upgrade of Windows 10 because I like W7. I did download W10 on another computer that I have as a backup because it doesn't have any programs on it, just a clean slate.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing that info, although I still would prefer Windows 7 over Windows 10 at the moment, because I'm so used to it already and I don't feel the need to upgrade to a new operating system.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel exactly the same way. I think I might leave the update on my computer, just in case they make it so that Windows 7 becomes obsolete soon enough. That way I will be able to jump to the latest operating system, without having to spend hundreds of pounds in money. But unless something drastic happens, I will remain with Windows 7.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also have a CPU that still runs Windows XP, and even if there are no updates available anymore for XP, it still works perfectly fine. So I think that outdated OS with no updates are still ok to use.

5. DreekLass

Threads:
    I still have windows XP on my desktop computer too, lol. But the computer is currently dismantled, as there was no space for it. But Windows was going very slow, due to the lack of updates, and there were only a certain amount of things you could download and install, because it was not compatible with XP - but with the more up to date systems. I am worried the same thing will happen with W7, which I am sure it will eventually.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still have Windows XP because it can run older games that won't run on Windows 7, so Windows 7 does have it's disadvantages in the sense that some games won't run on it. I guess Windows 8 didn't click that well for Microsoft to release Windows 10 so quickly.

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    Really? You can't run older games on Windows 7? I am actually pretty shocked to hear that. I am sure that there are many more disadvantages to Windows 7 too. Yeah, I also thought that it was peculiar how they released W10 so soon, and not only that, but for free? They are very insistent about it too, which makes me very suspicious.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I can't run Need For Speed Most Wanted and Splinter Cell and a lot of other games using Windows 7, where it was able to run on Windows Vista and XP. I didn't know that they released Windows 10 for free. Maybe they are trying to win back customers after losing a huge chunk of them when they released Windows 8.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    do you get an error message when you try to run those games? Or does it just not play with as much smoothness? I can't believe this. Maybe it is your computer specs? You would think an upgraded system would be able to play older games effortlessly. So I am thinking there may be another factor involved. On my laptop, my mothers, and the computers of other's people are being prompted to upgrade to W10 for free, but there have been a lot of dubious reports about it.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Both games were installed properly but both did not run. I tried this option of right clicking "Properties" and choosing the older OS so that the game can run, but it did not work. I was using a stock HP PC, but when I was using Windows Vista those old games were able to run on the same PC. A google search led me to results that other people were also having a similar problem getting those games to run.

11. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    @sidney@sidney. @DreekLass@DreekLass. I have experienced this also with games on W7. I have PC games and if I understand correctly from reading the systems requirements those are designed to operate specifically on the OS designated. You would have to purchase the appropriate game that matches the OP you are using. Basically, buying a new 'anything' for W7. It was a bummer for me when I could no longer play Tetris. If I had known that ahead of time I wouldn't have been too quick to donate my old computer with XP on it.:oops::oops::oops:

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    Well that sucks. I have a few games that I burned to a disc image, so that I would be able to play them later on down the line on newer operating systems. I have never tried to play these games on WIndows 7, but this new information makes me want to try it. There is nothing worse than paying for a game, and then when you upgrade it becomes unusable.

13. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My son teaches me this stuff. He's my tech person.:) Always read the system requirements first especially what operating system is required.

14. laurelbell85

laurelbell85Member

Threads:
    Thank you for that information. I love W7 and would hate to get rid of it on my laptop. I'm going to go to YouTube and see what I can find. I have honestly heard mixed reviews about the OS. We shall see. Thank you for suggesting that and sharing your experience (because it helped).

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If those games were released before 2009 when Windows 7 was released then those games might not be able to run properly, so go ahead and install them just to see if they would run.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    The games that I am talking about are older CSI PC games. I have no idea which ones I have. I will have to search through all of my discs and see which game titles I have, and then find out when those specific titles were released. But that sucks, because I would love to be able to play those games again.

17. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks so much for the tip. I'm going to look into it as soon as I can.:) I love a fast computer so I can multi-task and finish so I can do my chores at home. Luckily I can borrow a netbook from the library and we can download on the netbook borrow.

18. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    It has been more than 6 months since I have installed a free Windows 10 upgrade, and it is operating smoothly so far. Its has not been infected with any virus as some may fear. It should be noted that Microsoft is phasing out some of the older versions, so I don't think Microsoft will try to penalize anyone for having the free upgrade.

19. Gavin

GavinMember

Threads:
    Windows 10 isn't too bad. Its a bit different then Win 8.1 but all in all you can navigate one that means you can navigate the other. They did end support for Win 8 straight up, so my guess is that Win 8.1 won't be too far behind. Win 10 also has a lot of driver updates for your computer so if you do update and find something not working you might need to go download some drivers. Graphics cards especially are important for this.

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    They ended your support for Windows 8? That sounds strange to me, but only because I am still operating on windows 7, and they have not stopped the updates for me yet. Do you have any idea when they will be switching it out and stopping updates for windows 7? I thought that graphic cards were attributed to your laptop specs and not operating system?