Freebird Burritos

Discussion in Food & Drink started by jneanz • Sep 1, 2014.

1. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    This is kind of a cool place that, in my opinion, is better than Chipotle when it comes to taste. The operation is an assembly line similar to Subway but it would be nice if they had margaritas.

Anyway, they have a wide selection of items that are made with different tortilla flavors and meats. I got a vegetarian quesadilla but they forgot the vegetables (including the free guac). It was still good, even though they melt the cheese before adding ingredients.

What has your experience been?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I will have to keep an eye out for this place. I am checking their web site out now, and it looks delicious. I will keep an eye out for them when I am traveling, but sadly it looks like they are just on the west coast for now, and I live in Ohio. Their menu sounds really good though, and I noticed they appear to serve beer too? Even better!

We have our own Chipotle knockoff here in Ohio as well (but it's branching out into other locations) called HotHead Burritos. They are more or less a Chipotle ripoff verbatim. Their only different selling point is that they offer a big selection of sauces you can get on your burrito just before they wrap it up. Their "signature" sauce is a sweet habanero, hence the name "HotHead". I was really disappointed with their food though the handful of times I tried them out. Somehow they managed to screw up every step of the burrito process, despite copying Chipotle so much. Their tortilla's are really rubbery and semi-translucent - it's literally difficult to take a bite out of your burrito because it's so tough and chewy. Their meats for some strange reason taste like they weren't seasoned at all. They look fine in the window, but have no flavor when you eat them. The rest of the toppings were unremarkable, guacamole, beans, cheese, etc... only their stuff did not look as fresh as Chipotle's. I suspect most of it comes in already processed/prepared. And the sauces at the end, including their signature sauce, are terrible. It literally tastes like straight corn syrup with some pepper flakes in it. No depth of flavor or smokiness at all. I don't see them lasting much longer to be honest.

There is another Chipotle like place that's been around for about as long as them though, called QDoba. They are pretty decent, though again, their flavors leave something to be desired.