Freecycle: Saving money, ending waste.

Discussion in Freebies and Giveaways started by FortisLupus • Sep 20, 2012.

1. FortisLupus

FortisLupusNew Member

Threads:
    A lot of people know about Freecycling already. Some have still yet to learn of it's mystical ways...

Freecycle is a FREE community based recycling service available, I believe, worldwide. Users are encouraged to offer household items (not pets, firearms, drugs or children) that have been replaced to other users. This saves on landfill space, save the original user the cost of disposal and saves the new user the cost of purchasing needed items.

With today's economic climate, Freecycle has quickly become a place for people to find items that they need, and a price they can afford (FREE).

Now, if you're one of these people that HAS to buy new all the time, then I'm really happy you can afford to. The rest of us however tend to struggle just making ends meet... We weren't all born with a silver spoon in our mouths!

The basic rules of Freecycle are simple: What you offer MUST be given away free of charge. Collection of items is preferred, though some "freecyclers" will offer to deliver, for a small donation. I agree with this, after all it's the item being delivered that's free, not the petrol.

Some groups add additional rules, such as "Items you gain MUST be for your own use and not resold". Personally, I feel this is controlling is some respects. If you can make a profit out of something that was going to be thrown away, then well done I say!

Check if there's a group or centre near you today. Simply type Freecycle and your town/county name into a search engine. Post your unwanted items to help others out, gain some new (used) items to help yourself out.

Just one tip... If you DO decide to sell anything you acquire, don't boast about it. It may not be against the rules, but it is frowned upon.

Go Freecycle today. What are you waiting for?

2. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    I wish you could just browse through the posts instead of having to have a yahoo account, join the list and then get bombed with email notifications. Unless something has changed this is why I stopped using it.

3. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    This is a great way to save money and to acquire much needed items for free. After reading your post, I did a quick search on Google to look for freecycle outposts near my place and I found one. Although it looks like it isn't being updated anymore. Anyhow, thanks for this sir and I'll be trying to find some available freecycle outposts here in my country.

4. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    I've gotten a few items from Freecycle such as a coffee table and a wall unit air conditioner. Great site.

5. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    I for one completely vouch for Freecycle. As an immigrant, I came to this country literally with nothing. I was able to furnish my entire house using FreeCycle, and since I have a job now, and have some money, I have freecycled all my old things!

The best thing I ever got was a 20'' LCD flatscreen TV.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm on my local Freecycle Yahoo list but I haven't really been active or looked for items. I'm apartment hunting and when I do move, this summer hopefully, I'll probably have some usable stuff to give away and I might find some useful stuff too. I think its great that Freecycle keeps stuff out of landfills and the items find a good home with people that need them.

7. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of freecycle before, I'll have to go and take a look at their site and check it out. I think it's a really good thing for people who don't have much. A place they can go to and get second hand stuff that's still worth having. :)

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm also a member of my local area Freecycle. It's a great way to find great items for free and to get rid of unwanted items. Every once in awhile, so people offer up some really great items. You have to be quick on the draw.