Freezer Burned Meats

Discussion in Food & Drink started by cluckeyo • Aug 22, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    It never fails that from time to time I will buy too far ahead on the food. Perfectly good meats get pushed to the back of the freezer and forgotten. When I finally dig them out, they are covered with freezer burn. So disappointing! Recently I learned that it only takes a minute and a sharp knife to simply slice away a thin layer and get rid of the burned part. Then you will have a nice fresh piece of meat to eat and you don't have to throw it all away. Not only can you still eat that meat, but if you put the pieces of freezer burned meat into the microwave for about a minute, you will then have something to give your dog for supper. My dog loves freezer burned meat.

2. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    This is good to know I like to buy my meat when it is on sale and i have had a few times as well that meat has gotten freezer burnt! Thanks for the tip!

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We used to stock on meat in the freezer when we lived away from the market. But even before we moved to this house in 2001, we were residing near the mini market so there was no need to stock food in the freezer. In fact, our freezer contains only ice and sometimes ice cream but very seldom do we have meat and if ever there is meat, it is stored in the freezer for only a short period of time.

Healthy eating for us means fresh ingredients so it doesn't matter if we go to the market every day as long as we buy food items that are fresh including meat and fish.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't bother with freezer burned stuff to begin with - at all. There are certain specialized bags you can buy which not only keep the food fresh - but much fresher than ordinary bags. They do this trick by sealing in the air better. Anyhow, they are available at Wal-Mart and while they may not save money more than cheaper bags, they give you more value cause the food packed will be tastier.