French Press Thread

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Jul 27, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    french-press.

I recently got a French press as a gift and so far, I haven't been too happy with it, and I'm not sure if I'm just doing something wrong or just have a faulty or cheap one, so I'd love to hear from anyone here who has experience with these things as I've grown curious and fond with it regardless of its fault ones. I'm just wondering if I could instead just buy a better type or brand out there so I'd love to hear some suggestions or thoughts regarding this. Thanks!

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love my French press. First of all,you don't want to use coffee that is too finely ground or it'll pass through the holes in the mesh and you'll end up with grounds in your coffee. Secondly , you want to use water that is just off the boil, not boiling hot. Pour the water into the grounds in the French press , stir them and wait a little bit before putting on the top and pressing the plunger down.

3. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    We just recently switched to a French Press. It took some experimenting, but now we've gotten our taste down to a science and we're very happy with it. Water temperature and brewing time make a huge difference. I agree with ACSAPA - just off boiling is perfect. We have a hot water dispenser on our sink and keep it on the hottest setting which is just perfect for our coffee. We've found that 4 minute brew time is perfect for 2 cups of coffee. Also, if you brew 2 cups and are only drinking one, consider putting the remaining coffee in a carafe or travel mug so that it doesn't continue to brew as it sits.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's always worth visiting various chain coffee shops to see if they are offering any free samples of their cafetiere grounds. They quite often do and this is a great chance to experiment with different flavours without wasting any money.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's true. If you don't remove the remaining coffee from the French press, it keeps brewing and becomes bitter.
    You don't want it sitting there more than a few minutes. I forgot to mention that. Thanks.