Fresh or Frozen Veggies

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Jennifer • Jul 30, 2012.

1. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    I personally prefer to buy fresh vegetables, but seeing that there is only the two of us I find that I often have to throw away vegetables that have gone bad. I could buy smaller quantities but that would mean I would have to go grocery shopping more often. So to be practical I stock up the freezer with frozen veggies which comes in Handy if I have been too lazy or too busy to go to the grocery store. But whenever I can I will buy fresh.

What do you prefer? Fresh or frozen?

2. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    I am the same way. It depends what type of veg I am cooking. There is one bag of frozen mixed veg I buy because I like the herbs that mixed through them. I also buy swedes and carrots, cabbage, green onions, broccoli and cauliflower. Those are pretty much the fresh veg that I buy. The corn I buy frozen, and the peas I buy frozen. I love my vegetables.

3. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    It would have to be fresh vegetables for me...however, I have discovered that one can buy the fresh vegetables and blanch and freeze them for later use. Which cuts the waste. Thing is: I just do not like the taste of most store bought frozen vegetables. I know they have the nutrients but I just do not like the lack of 'something'. So, the solution we came up with takes a bit more time but one still gets the tastiness of the fresh vegetables.

4. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    The pace of modern life does not always possible to bring fresh food to our table and often ended up buying frozen vegetables and fruits that become part of our diet. Frozen vegetables are processed soon after being harvested so their properties are better preserved. Many nutritionists recommend eating frozen vegetables. However, it is best to find a good balance between the consumption of fresh vegetables and those that are frozen. I prefer fresh, but the others are a good alternative.

5. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I never buy frozen vegetables. I don't know why... I just can't do it. There are only two of us as well, but it's okay, because I'm fine with making frequent trips to the grocery just for vegetables. The grocery is only a few blocks from my house, and vegetables are not heavy.

6. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I normally buy all of my food at Sam's Club. It's just not practical for us to buy fresh as it goes bad since I go shopping just once a month, so I buy canned and frozen veggies.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    So uh...

Why aren't you just freezing your own vegetables? You can buy them fresh, enjoy them fresh, and then anything that you can't finish before it goes bad, you can freeze and have later anyway. That way you have the best of both worlds without having to always choose one over the other.

8. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Fresh vegetables are the way to go. The frozen stuff tends to taste like freezer burn. I don't like to eat too much frozen foods they aren't good for you. I would rather take in the fresh vegetables because you can really taste the flavor.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love fresh vegetables, I go to the farmers market when ever I can to get my local vegetables. I freeze the vegetables that will not be used right away. I plan to make a zucchini bread today with a zucchini I got from a friend before it goes bad. If the bread is not eaten up:) right away it goes in the freezer also. If I can't get fresh I will use frozen, I try to stay away from the can food due to the added salt.

10. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer fresh vegetables. What I do is buy those which can keep quite well in the fridge. Things like carrots and cabbages can remain fresh in the fridge for about a week without any problems.

11. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I love both fresh vegetables as well as fresh fruit. I also like frozen fruit, because I can make a nice smoothie without having to use ice, and well the fruit won't spoil as quick as the fresh fruit. Now I have even gone so far as to freeze bananas, blueberries and strawberries for my smoothies. Aw man, now I have a hankering for a nice smoothie.

12. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I tend to buy my produce seasonally and adjust my cooking accordingly. Seasonal items are cheaper so buy when in season and then buy frozen when certain things are not in season to save money.

13. PurpleWasabi

PurpleWasabiNew Member

Threads:
    Though frozen vegetables are convenient, I would have to say that I'd go for fresh vegetables all the way. The taste of fresher greens is just hard to beat next to vegetables that have been shelved in the freezer for who knows how long. I guess it's because I'm more sensitive to different tastes than most people. However, in your circumstance, I would go with the frozen veggies if you're okay with the taste difference.

14. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    That's what I do as well. Not only do you save money, the taste is so much better as well. I always keep in some frozen peas and mixed vegetables for emergencies, but generally I go with fresh vegetables and fruit all the time. We have a street market near us most days of the week, and when my neighbour goes shopping, she always asks if I need anything, and I do the same, so keeping a regular supply of fresh produce is not a problem.

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would sometimes have a field day at Trader Joes stocking up on frozen items including frozen veggies. The only drawback is I grow tired of microwaved frozen veggies very quickly, and I start dreading mushy waterlogged veggies steamed in the microwave.

Peas are fine frozen, but stuff like peppers and onions and broccoli I prefer fresh. My mom used to even freeze parsley from the garden, which works out really good if you're using it to cook - not so much as a garnish obviously. It keeps nicely and is better than the dried stuff. Not sure if basil would work, but they always have good deals on that too at the farmers markets.

16. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Well, I prefer both. I have no problems eating either, especially if they're both going to give me the necessary nutrients that I need. I find that it's actually cheaper purchasing frozen veggies than fresh ones, especially broccoli!

17. donaldplozha

donaldplozhaMember

Threads:
    I don't eat vegetables a lot, but when I do, I prefer them to be fresh and well hand-washed :)

18. Tinee

TineeMember

Threads:
    I like fresh veggies because frozen ones have more preservatives and I don't want those for my body.

19. fishyfinz

fishyfinzMember

Threads:
    I prefer fresh vegetables but sometimes you just have to make-do with the frozen ones. As you correctly mentioned, the fresh vegetables get bad and can't be kept for long; even if kept in the fridge. Why waste money buying fresh vegetables, when you can get good quality frozen ones? Frozen veggies are cheaper too.

20. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    I lean toward fresh, but they take a little more time to prepare (depending on what you are doing). I really don't mind frozen veggies at all though. I can tell the difference in taste, but it's not so big a deal for me to really care, and I'm not picky when it comes to vegetables. I'm not a big fan of canned vegetables, but I will eat those too. For me, it seems the frozen vegetable package sizes are too small. I make the whole bag of frozen vegetables and I'm lucky if I get three meals of of it. That's what I can't stand about buying frozen vegetables.