Fresh or Frozen Veggies

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Jennifer • Jul 30, 2012.

1. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use both, fresh and frozen. I only use Trader Joe's frozen vegetable in a dish. I like to use frozen spinach in a quiche like dish. I will mix some defrosted frozen corn in a batch of cornbread. I don't like to limit myself as long as the frozen veges are not loaded with sodium and other preservatives.

2. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    Fresh is always my first choice. If I do need to get frozen, it depends on the vegetable. Something's are great frozen, peas, asparagus and spinach. Others not so much, onions, mushrooms and celery. Certain things I always just wait til they come back into season.

3. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    Ideally, I would have all fresh, organic vegetables, but unfortunately as a student I can't afford that. Most of my veggies are frozen, but I do get fresh veggies as well. I would say that a little less than 1/2 of my produce is fresh. When I am able to afford it, I will purchase all organic veggies and fruits.

4. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    I hate the taste of frozen veggies. Now that we cook more often at home, we buy fresh vegetables and we buy according to what we are cooking for that particular day.

5. Mama2three

Mama2threeMember

Threads:
    We use both. I buy fresh when I have a menu an made out. I also like to have a few options stashed in our deep freezer for those spontaneous meals (in which I haven't bought the fresh needed veggies), and I usually use frozen in soups and stews.

6. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer fresh vegetables as well. In my opinion, fresh tastes better and seems to have more versatility. However, now that our family is on a grocery budget, most of the vegetables we purchase are frozen. We do waste a lot less produce and consume a wider variety of vegetables this way. In end, I believe eating frozen vegetables are a great way to eat healthy while cutting costs.

7. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I like fresh vegetables. I just don't like the frozen type that you get to buy on groceries. I'm fortunate because a neighbor sells fresh produce every morning. She gets it from her brother's farm. So we never really have to buy vegetables from the supermarket.

8. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    I prefer fresh vegetables. I am lucky, because I live near a couple of produce markets and I am able to go a few times a week and buy fresh stuff. I would however choose frozen vegetables over canned any day.

9. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    That depends on where you live. Where I live, the fresh vegetables are cheaper than the frozen ones. So it's always fresh vegetables for me. And fresh vegetables can keep quite well if you store them properly in the fridge.

10. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I buy a variety. I do like fresh veggies better, but I know we won't get to them all before we need to. So I will buy a few frozen ones as well. I never used to buy canned vegetables, but it's hard to get my toddler to eat very many vegetables. He really likes the canned green beans and will eat a ton of them. I buy them for the nights I just can't get him to eat the veggies we're having.

11. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Why are frozen foods bad for you? Is it because you think they taste funny or because you were told they are unhealthy? Or really what? Honestly there isn't anything really wrong with them and most have about the same nutrient level if not better. Not all "fresh" vegetables are really that fresh. Nothing like sitting under hot artifical lights while everyone touches on them with their germy, filthy hands or drops them on the floor. That doesn't even take into account flies or people with their many colds sneezing just everywhere. Also how were they transported to the store and who was handling them how?

12. malia22

malia22Member

Threads:
    i prefer to always buy fresh and preferably from a farmers market. i will buy frozen peas for risottos though.

13. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads:
    Fresh veggies are the best hands down. They have way more vitamins minerals and antioxidants. Frozen is also a good back up option and usually less expensive. For the last few summers I have been planting a fruit and veggie garden so I have fresh produce all summer long for "free".

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer fresh vegetables, and luckily because the local supermarket and the fresh market is quite near from where I live, then we can buy them in small quantities because we can always buy them whenever we want.

15. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've just recently gotten into buying frozen veggies (a big step for me, as I've always been biased against them). My schedule has recently gotten so busy that I can barely manage to make it to the grocery every week anymore, and sometimes I don't go for two or three weeks. When that happens I'm definitely glad to have some frozen veggies in the freezer. They don't taste as good as fresh vegetables to me, but at least I'll be getting some vitamins and nutrients until I can carve out more time to go to the grocery store for fresh ones.

16. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I love vegetables to be fresh every time I eat them. I have never been a fan of anything frozen except yogurt and ice cream and I typically
    try to stay away from foods that are in the frozen section. This is why steaming vegetable fresh is my favorite way to eat them.
    I also have always thought that this is much healthier and beneficial to your health.

17. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    It definitely is. I just hate when they go bad before I get a chance to eat them.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on what vegetable it is. You can't freeze lettuce, tomatoes and cabbage, so I buy those fresh.
    I buy things like peas and broccoli frozen. I think canned vegetables are disgusting. The only canned vegetables that don't taste bad are corn and baked beans.

19. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    Fresh tastes better and retains more of its nutrients, but some of us don't have the time to get and prepare fresh vegetables all the time, so we settle for frozen for convenience. Personally, I do a combination of each depending on how busy I am.

20. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Frozen vegetables are good for people on a budget because they tend to be cheaper than fresh vegetables. Personally I don't buy frozen vegetables, unless you count peas as a vegetable (technically they are not).