Fresh or Plastic Flowers

Discussion in Home & Garden started by chiofthenorns • Sep 2, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I really love flowers. So, whenever there is a chance, I make sure that our house is decorated with them. Sadly, fresh flowers are becoming more expensive every year. Even if I want to buy roses or marigolds, my budget wouldn't be able to handle it. So I won't get too disappointed, I just buy plastic flowers at the mall. They are not as inexpensive, but they don't have the scent that I love about fresh ones.

How about you? Do you decorate your home with flowers? Which do you prefer: plastic or fresh ones?

2. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Having a garden I am able to plant flowers and then when they are ready I'll snip them and put them in a vase, it is much cheaper than buying them at the shop. I also grow my own veggies as well. But if you haven't got a garden (and your window sills can't accommodate a window box) then just buy plastic ones and use a deodorizer to help with the lack of smell. :)

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    While I understand why plastic flowers are a better long term investment (the cost), I find them sad. For a flower lover there's nothing worse than lifeless plastic without smell posing as lovely plants. I don't have a garden and live in a flat but I've bought a few pots from the supermarket (flowers that bloom often) and I planted a few on my own in DIY pots - a much better solution than buying sad plastic flowers.

4. sharpayvargas1

sharpayvargas1Member

Threads:
    It's really more on how you view it. So, I'd choose a plastic flower and use a deodorizer. Not only do practical but they can can be really good decorations because if you you will have to grow it by yourself, you cannot decide on how it's gonna look like. There's a chance that all you'll ever get is a flower or two. Just like what I said, it will depend on your point of view. I'm a sentimental person but in decisions like this, it doesn't matter if my decoration is a sad lifeless plastic.

5. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I have always used plastic flowers, because I have an allergy to fresh ones but still like to have the colour of them in my home. I also think that it is great because it means that you're able to save money, as the flowers can last forever. You can even buy a few different types if you wish, and then swap and change them perhaps every few months to have a bit of a change. I never liked the thought of growing flowers just to make the home look nice, because they are dead within days. At least in the garden they can thrive, and some will flower again year on year. You do have to make sure that you dust them regularly, though, because they hold dust badly and this can trigger allergies, too!

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like potted plants because they don't die in 3 days like cut flowers, but they're not fake and plastic. In some cases, a potted plant is cheaper than high quality plastic flowers.

7. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fresh flowers are they way to go. Plastic flowers just seem so... fake. It's not perfect for home. Maybe if I had a store, I'd probably put plastic flowers because I won't have to maintain them each and every day. It would be a lot cheaper too. Still, I think it really won't look all that good.

Also, when it comes to giving flowers as gifts, I would never, ever give a plastic flower. I would only give fresh flowers. It means that your intentions are pure if you give fresh flowers.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why don't you grow your favourite flowers in pots around your home? You can get really creative with growing colourful bouquets in pots. You never have to be without flowers again. :)
    Personally, I don't like cut flowers. Their life span is short, and there is something sad about seeing them removed from the soil they grew in. Perhaps it's only my perception, but isn't it much more interesting and satisfying to observe the entire life cycle of a plant rather than just sticking the blossoms in water for a few days?
    As for plastic flowers, they give me strange and unsettled feelings.

9. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I like the theme of this blog. Personally, I love flowers, I'm a nature fanatic! And I appreciate the delicacy of each petal, as well as the fuzzy or smooth texture of different types of leaves. I love the patience that caring for flowers develops in me, and I really do believe that real flowers add "that extra edge" to the overall beautification of my home's interior.
    However, I must agree with you that the cost of flowers has risen to an all-time high this year, and it was sporadically increasing from even before, so this makes it much harder now for us to "scrape together" the money that we have, to spend it on these flowers. It's almost as though buying these flowers has become a rare occasion, a "hobby for the rich", and something that only persons with a considerable amount of "disposable income" take part in.
    But, the thing is, I still want the beautiful fragrance that only flowers have the power to naturally emit. That does not, however, mean that I am going to become complacent with not being able to find any obvious answers.
    There are several alternatives to which I know we, flower-lovers, can turn: there are beautiful, aroma-inspiring scented candles, there are also household mist sprays that are neither allergy-triggers, nor are they harmful for the environment.
    There are also several modern scent-triggers, such as Glade and Plug-It-In, that have proven effective, time and time again, as a great replacement for using flowers to enhance the smell that permeates our homes.

If you're like me, you're going to have to "roll with the punches" with this one, and adjust your spending to the rise in cost of flowers, by investing in longer-lasting options that may not look and feel the same, but that do a pretty good job at fulfilling the same task.

10. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I actually don't like to have fresh flowers around, I prefer to just have a few fake ones. I always forget about the fresh flowers, even if they are sitting on the kitchen table until they smell and someone is already annoyed with me for not throwing them out days ago. I feel like it is such a waste to cut flowers of their bush and take them inside. They would last so much longer if they were left where they belong.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer fresh plants and flowers as much as possible but if i were in a place where it wasnt practical or if i wouldnt be able to keep it alive then i could settle for a plastic one just for the looks. I prefer fresh ones because i actually like the natural smells and freshness it gives off to the surroundings, and admittedly without it i probably would just do without, but if it were essential to my decor then i wouldnt mind a fake one here and there.

12. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I dislike plastic flowers. I also can't afford fresh ones so I grow my own roses and put them in vases. I understand this isn't much of an option for apartment dwellers, although they do make miniature roses, but in that case I'd use potted plants - African violets are lovely and there are some other houseplants that are really pretty. But if you like plastic flowers go for it, it is your house:)

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I grew up with plastic flowers in the home. I really don't like plastic flowers. Real flowers add such a nice touch to the home. The only downside to fresh cut flowers is the cost. Buying fresh flowers can really add up. I rather not have any flowers in my home. I just have a thing about plastic flowers. There are some plastic flowers that look realistic though.

14. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I like both, fresh and plastic flowers. I only use fresh flowers on special occasions because they are expensive. I like plastic flowers because they last longer and I can always just spray fragrance on them. I have bought some plastic flowers that have scents so they smell like fresh flowers.

15. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer fresh flowers. I do not think I have ever had plastic flowers before. Plastic flowers seem like a weird concept to me and I don't think I will ever use them. It's easy to have some flowers growing in your yard here. Here, I can buy fresh flowers for less than plastic flowers as well.