fridge deodorants!

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Konstantina • Apr 12, 2012.

1. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    Hi everyone, I would like to know if any of you use these little things you stick to the fridge that are supposed to eliminate smells. I am kind of sceptical because it has to do with food and grocery and I am interested to know if they release any toxics like deo's. Thanks

2. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of something like this before. Could you please show me a picture of them?
    Actually, these fridge deodorants seem to be a very clever idea. I really hate when my fridge has a repulsive smell. Nevertheless, we must not forget about the toxics it might have, as you said...

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    No, I don't. I just use baking soda! A whole box costs maybe 30 cents at most. Open the little flap, stick it in the back of the fridge, and change every few months. It'll keep any odor out and you don't have to think about any toxins.

4. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I have used them once but they are a little more expensive than the good old baking soda remedy. I use baking soda and it works very well and it is much cheaper. I would go that route. It is safe which is important as well as saves money instead of using a store boughten deodorizer.

5. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of this in my entire life. I want to find this online and buy it just for the heck of it. I don't have a problem with smells, but this sounds really cool.

6. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I also just use baking soda. They make containers specifically for the fridge/ freezer in which you just open the back of the container (preventing spills). Seems to work great for me!

7. Popatar

PopatarMember

Threads:
    What? Why would you need one in the first place. If the fridge stinks its a sign that something is rotting. A safety net if you must.

Instead of getting a deodorant for the fridge keep it clean.

8. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I use the baking soda box. A smell in the fridge doesn't always mean that something is rotting in there, it usually means we are having fish tonight for dinner!
    I have not seen the little things that stick to the fridge but I doubt I would pay any money for them.

9. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    That's really a fantastic idea! I've never thought of using baking soda to keep my fridge without disgusting odour, I might try it.
    Thank you for the tip Jessi, it's very useful

10. shanontherocks

shanontherocksNew Member

Threads:
    Like a PP said, I use baking soda. I dont have to make my fridge smell like spring linen. As long as my food is fresh and my eggs and cheese smell like eggs and cheese, I am fine. I am happy with Arm and Hammer for cooking, cleaning, upset stomach, and odor reducing.

11. l33t

l33tMember

Threads:
    Like 2 people said, I use baking soda. I use baking soda for everything. There is no need to buy another similar product but only for the fridge. Yes, there are arm and hammer products for the fridge, but I find they last longer than the "little things you stick to the fridge"/

12. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    Baking soda works best. Try to avoid deodorants, they contain loads of bad chemicals that can have ugly effects on long term.

13. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    Hi everyone and thank you for your answers. Friend Gonzalo, I tried to paste a picture here, but I can't, I don't know why. You can search for them a bit though, they look like small tennis balls. I will probably use baking soda as you guys suggested, but I also found an organic mineral crystal which is really cheap and comes especially for the fridge. I don't know if I will get it though because it looks like candy and I m afraid someone might have it! Thanks everyone!

14. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    Don't worry! I've just found a couple of pictures on google. Are these the kind of deodorants you are talking about?

41v3w647RUL._SL500_AA300_.

fridge_keep_fresh_refrigerator_deodorizer.

I can see baking soda is used by most of us. However, it's the first I heard about it

15. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    Like most of the others, I have used baking soda for this in the past. My problem though is that I'm horrible about remembering to change it out. I know you are supposed to after a few months or something, but I can't ever remember to.

I have never tried anything apart from baking soda to deodorize my fridge.

16. thiefraccoon

thiefraccoonNew Member

Threads:
    Baking soda does work great! I've been using it as long as I remember. They're cheap, lasts a long time, and versatile. Just buy a few, and use it in the fridge, use it in cooking, use it for cleaning sinks, tubs, etc...

17. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    Baking soda honestly works! Just buy a box rip the tab off, and throw it in! Its amazing what that harmless looking white powder can do!

It also works wonders for the cat litter box, and the bathroom. It only costs around a buck for a box, and it will last a long long time in your fridge. Give it a shake about every so often.

If you really wanna get creative. Get a mason jar, and fill it with 1 or 2 inches of baking powder. Put in a couple drops of essential oil. And pop holes in the top. Put this in your fridge. Shake it every time you need a "freshen up", and you get not only the odour absorbing powder for the Baking Soda, you also get the fragrance.

18. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I always use baking soda. It is the cheaper and safer alternative but these fridge deodorants are safe for food. They are produced with the food in mind therefore no toxins are released into the food when these are placed in the refrigerator. I dont have odor issues in my fridge, I make it a point to keep it very clean as the food that I will be consuming is stored in there but the baking soda in the back is an old school trick my mother taught me and I have never had an issue.

19. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, definitely baking soda. It's a good stand-by. I don't recall how often you need to replace it, though, but I guess it's just whenever it stops working. Probably takes a lot longer than those deodorants.

And my fridge stinks to high heaven if my husband makes tuna salad. Yuck! Even in a plastic container with a lid, you can still smell it. I can't stand the smell, sight or taste of fish. Any other super fragrant foods will stink it up too without being rotten. Chili, egg salad, etc.

20. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    It seems a lot of people are already using baking soda... Am I the only one who didn't know about it ? LOL
    I have a question, how often do you need to change the baking soda? What happens if you forget to do it?