fridge deodorants!

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Konstantina • Apr 12, 2012.

1. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I normally use baking soda in the fridge as it really works well. There are however other natural deodorizers you can try that are also effective like a small bowl of vinegar, orange peels and used ground coffee beans.

2. sue321

sue321New Member

Threads:
    Baking soda is really good for cleaning kitchen surfaces if say you set something rusty down and it makes a mark. Just rub in a bit of baking soda to the affected area with a damp cloth. It works like magic, costs pennies and is environmentally safe.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Like what has been said, I also only use baking soda if I want to get rid of any smells in there, it's safe and it's cheap too. You just place a handful of that on a container and let it sit there for months or maybe a year, since it does not seem to rot when left inside the ref for a prolonged period of time.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For the odor of the fridge, there is always a piece of charcoal in the corner. Yes, that's the black charcoal that we use for roasting in the griller. It is very effective in absorbing unpleasant odor inside the fridge. We inherited that trick from my mother because my father is very meticulous when it comes to the odor of the fridge. Especially the odor of fish, my father would get angry at my mother.

5. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I'd never heard of these before this thread, so no I don't use them. Having said that I do clean my fridge out quite frequently, and rarely fill it with much anyway, so smells have never been a problem. I assume they work like a dehumidifier?

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use bicarbonate of soda too. I just put a few tablespoons full into an old yogurt pot and stick it at the back of the fridge. I'll change it over every 2-3 months. Seems to do the trick.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It has been some time since I have seen those little refrig deodorants! I use baking soda like most of the people here. Also I put the smelly stuff into containers or baggies to help keep the odors down. I often forget to change the box of baking soda and have not noticed anything different after the box has been used for some time.

8. bittersblue

bittersblueNew Member

Threads:
    I've never used fridge deodorants. I don't think they'd be particularly toxic--they're produced for using in the fridge. I'm sure the makers took some consideration when making it. As pretty much everyone in this thread already said, I use baking soda. It's a far cheaper alternative and had no risk at all.

What I didn't see mentioned, and is also one of my favorite things, is using vanilla. Take a cotton ball and soak it in vanilla and put it in your fridge. Baking soda eliminates unpleasant smells, vanilla makes your fridge smell wonderful. I think technically you can do that with pretty much any extract flavor but vanilla is my preferred one :)

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Can you use baking soda as a fridge deodorant? Honestly this is the first time I'm hearing it. We once kept packs of baking soda in our refrigerator but they were stored there for rust-cleaning purposes. Never once have I thought they were there to ward off the unpleasant smell of rotten food.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is news to me, I've never heard of these! I'm curious to know if the fragrance doesn't transfer onto the food. I've never even used baking soda because my fridge never gives off any funky smell, unless people are just doing it as a precaution? To clean my fridge, I just use warm soapy water, sometimes with an anti-bacterial detergent and that works just fine for me.

11. Pabmart

PabmartMember

Threads:
    I've never tried this thing out, mainly because I feel like it's kind of weird to have this near all your food. I prefer to clean my fridge ocasionally rather than putting products near my goodies.

12. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Not only you can use, but this is exactly the contain of the box that Fuller sells as fridge deodorant.

Besides baking soda, charcoal and ground coffee as proven refrigerator deodorizers, you can use the same trick used to remove odor from the microwave oven; put into a cup of water with lemon.

Difference is that water should not be hot, and rather and a few drops of lemon, you must put water and lemon half in half, and change the mix weekly.

13. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I have always just used baking soda.
    More important than that is to actually clean out the fridge on a monthly basis. If I don't know what it is then it gets tossed.
    Also making sure you are mindful of how to store things with respect to humidity makes a huge difference.

14. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of this product before. I wouldn't think they would be toxic since they would be in such close contact with food. I use baking soda in the fridge and I don't ever have problems with odors. Its very inexpensive to use also which is always nice. I can see how this would be a good selling product though.

15. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, I never heard about deodorants or even baking soda ... I don't use anything! There is food on the fridge, isn't is supposed to smell like food?
    If something is smelly or spills there I will simply clean it up with a cleaner.

16. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I also cannot vouch for fridge deodorants without knowing their chemical composition. Deodorants are by nature volatile compounds and are likely to impact on stored food. I am not understating their usefulness especially with regard to ameliorating the smell of raw meat. I think baking soda or slaked lime can solve the problem.