Friends Or How I Met Your Mother?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by angelicagapit • Jan 21, 2015.

1. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    Alright, here's the real question.

What do you guys enjoy more? Friends or How I Met Your Mother?

And why? State reasons below :)

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How I Met Your Mother it is for me. There was too much hype around Friends. Although it was fun watching it and the cast had great chemistry, each blessed by the script with a kooky character, there's something about How I Met Your Mother that appeals to me more. Maybe because Neil Patrick Harris was there and he is worth all the Friends cast put together.

3. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I've always liked Friends more. It's funny because Friends started out as a show that I never gave a chance because it just seemed boring. I think one day I was just too lazy to change the channel and actually ended up enjoying a couple of episodes.

My brother has a couple of season of How I Met Your Mother on DVD so I watched it. Although it was funny, I did get tired of it after a couple of episodes.

4. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Friends. HIMYM was such a blatant rip off of Friends that I never understood how anyone even enjoyed it. I've attempted to watch a few episodes and the comedy was just missing for me. I can't believe the hype that show got.

5. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Friends is a much older show, some younger people might feel a bit of a disconnect with the show and its culture/humor at the time. I enjoyed both of these shows, it's really hard to pick a favorite but I would probably lean towards Friends for the nostalgia.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think there are a few shows that are a rip off of friends. Look at The Big Bang.. Penny is a clear Rachel rip off lol, right down to her acting.. and her and Leonard's relationship is a clear Rachel/Ross thing too. Anyway.. I prefer Friends.. but maybe I'm biased. I feel like I grew up on it. It was different than every other show in the 90s and made it's way to the 2000s still going strong. It saw me through my teen years, right into motherhood. My youngest used to come running to dance to the theme song when he was a baby lol. I watched HIMYM for a bit.. Neil Patrick Harris makes the entire show and I love what's his name.. the big guy. But that one whiney character, that was in love with the Canadian character, sort of ruined it for me. I couldn't hack him or his storyline anymore. Friends for the win,.

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Friends. It still makes me laugh even after all these years. How I Met Your Mother never made me laugh once, I honestly don't understand the appeal of that series. It's like they are shooting for the absolutely lowest common denominator with it...

8. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Friends was a okay show, good for its time. However, I like the show "How I Met Your Mother" much more because the characters are more dynamic and interesting. Neil Patrick Harris's character is simply entertaining and amusing to view, he's what a lot of single male humans wish they can mimic and live like. The other characters are great too, and they all compliment each other well, and the narration by Bob Sagat acts like a TV host guiding his viewers to pay attention and relate every so often in the show.

9. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I like the formula of HIMYM's storytelling better -- it allows for a lot of pretty fun jokes and moments. It's also one of the only shows I followed to the end as it played on TV -- vs waiting it to be done and binge watching it (like I did with Friends). The finale sucked, but I loved The Mother more than I loved any cast member on Friends, so there's that.

Friends is still awesome.

10. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am still sore about the ending but before the ending I enjoyed How I Met Your Mother. I don't see how people think How I Met Your Mother is a rip off of Friends. I guess that is not fair to say when I never sat down and watched a whole episode but from what I saw Friends was such a boring series. I guess the concept is somewhat similar but How I Met Your Mother had funny situations and Neil Patrick Harris seals the deal.

11. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    Both 'Friends' and 'How I Met Your Mother' had similar genres in the sense that they were following the events from a group of friends, however, the plots in both series' are different. Friends was a very well written show in my opinion, with many of the jokes still funny to this day. It has also become integrated in social conversations, with many people having watched the show. In addition, the show does not get boring upon watching it more than once.
    How I Met Your Mother had some great episodes that were hilarious, and the chemistry between the cast was very strong. Although, the ending has had some mixed reactions which may prevent those who didn't like it from re-watching episodes.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Friends as I never really watched How I Met Your Mother. I guess I could relate to the characters more in Friends as their experiences mirrored a lot of what was happening and you felt it wasn't only you and it was always a good talking point. Many of the episodes you could imagine actually happening, and while entertaining it was also something that helped me look at what I was doing at the time.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't watch HIMYM for too long and vaguely remember it, but I think the only similarities to Friends I picked up was that it followed a group of 5 friends and they had a hang out. And one was in love with one of the girls. And they were on and off (weren't they? I didn't make it that far, but I assume so). It seems a few shows went off the same ideas and made it their own. Not that it was a rip off.. but it's totally similar.

14. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I also don't think that HIMYM is a rip off of Friends anymore then The Big Bang Theory is. Yes, both shows share similarities to Friends such as being about a group of well friends who hang out with each other. But all three shows have their own personal format and their own personal appeal.

As for which one I prefer, I guess I would have to say Friends, I did watch it for quite a few seasons on Thursday nights when it was on TV. However, I was never a big watcher of HIMYM, I have seen it from time to time but it never really grabbed my attention, although I did think the Neil Patrick Harris was good in the role of Barney.

15. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I had the same experience. I grew up watching Friends, and I own the whole entire series on DVD. I wouldn't say that I'm biased, but Friends really has the humor that attracts me most.

HIMYM is interesting, the characters are cool, and the actors are amazing, but I don't see the chemistry within them as much as I see in Friends. Friends is awesome, and HIMYM does get a bit tiring to watch.

16. jewarren

jewarrenNew Member

Threads:
    I enjoy both, but I definitely prefer Friends. Like everyone else, I note all of the similarities between the two, but at the same time, I think the writers of Friends did a better job in sticking to the true characters throughout. With HIMYM, I didn't watch it while it was live on TV, just during reruns, and it would always take me a while to get back into it and figure out where they were in the plot line (who was in a relationship with who, etc.). With Friends, I felt like no matter what season it is, I could jump right into the show without having to analyze the plot line as much as HIMYM (as I'd rather with a comedy).

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like Friends a bit more and I also think it's a little bit more of a classic than How I Met Your mother. They are both good shows but I think Friends just was on another level for some reason. I don't know if it was the writers or the actors or if it was just the time it was aired, but it probably was a combination of everything and I think that type of success is very hard to replicate.

18. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I only saw a couple of episodes of How I Met Your Mother and didn't really care for it. Mind you I didn't see it from the beginning and maybe that was necessary to appreciate it. I did enjoy Friends because the cast just seemed perfect for their roles. They had a chemistry that is rare to find in a sitcom.

I am glad that it finally ended, though because it was starting to wear a bit thin but all in all I did enjoy the series.

19. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    They are equally good and I think that to choose one over the other would be unfair, because there's really a great difference between the two. Comparing against each other will do them both an injustice.

20. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    How I Met Your Mother.
    That's a cool show.

Both are kind of awful without a laugh track :D

But Bing Bang Theory is the very worst...

Proof: