Friends Wasting Food

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ProNine • Jul 7, 2016.

1. ProNine

ProNineMember

Threads:
    As the title states, I have some friends who are wasting food. One of the biggest problems is that their fridge is almost always full of leftover food that no one even bothers eating. They tend to overcook then throw it all out. Once, I saw my friend taking out two trash bags full of leftover food. What can I do to convince them to stop it, mainly for their own sake?

2. shcoo

shcooMember

Threads:
    You could offer to donate it for them - soup kitchens or even grocery stores have donation areas. I know it's usually for canned goods but I'm sure some places would accept refrigerated goods or cooked leftovers as well.

OR if you enjoy cooking, you could offer to make a stew out of their remaining ingredients and share with them? Do you have that kind of relationship with them where you could cook together or would that be odd?

Another thing would be helping them make more detailed grocery lists to avoid overspending. If they have a recipe in mind, help them only buy the quantities and ingredients required for that and nothing else that might expire.

3. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    You could try recommending some recipes to them with the number of servings stated in the recipe. That way if they follow the recipe then they shouldn't end up with loads of leftovers. Only buying and making the food they really need should help. Giving them recipes they can use their leftovers on could be another useful thing for them as it seems they don't know how to use the leftovers they have. You could also recommend they make larger batches of food than they do already and freeze enough of the leftovers to make another meal. That way they get two meals from one.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are sites that give you recipes based on just what you have in your fridge or pantry. It sounds like your friends are in need of something like that. In the United States at least, there is some horrendous statistic like one third of food that is purchased is never eaten. I think we should all be more conscious of what we are buying and eating. I mean some things just go bad, and that needs to be thrown out or composted...but most food is that is thrown out is probably perfectly edible.

5. ProNine

ProNineMember

Threads:
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I actually offered to go and donate the extra good food which they no longer want. I also suggested this website called Supercook which can give you recipes based on what you have at hand. Thank you @Ke Gordon@Ke Gordon for that suggestion! I guess one of their faults is that they tend to buy too much groceries which they don't need all of it. They try to get rid of that excess food by overcooking. Once again, thanks everyone!

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know what my friends have in their fridge, and I don't think it's a ok to tell them what they should do. It does bother me, but I don't pay their bills, so I don't have a right to criticize - Even if it is wrong. But I'm always telling my grandmother that her fridge is to full and she shouldn't buy so much food at one time. As she is for my family, I do think that it's OK to say things like this to her.

7. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I would not dare to tell my friend that they should not waste food.
    I do not even know what they have in their fridge.
    We also throw food away sometimes and it is a really bad feeling already.
    But if I would have the opportunity to help them then I would also say donate it because ethen people get it that really need it instead of throwing it away. But that starts with myself I have to also stop wasting food before I can tell someone else to not waste their food.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How about presenting statistics on the world's poorest country or hunger rates across the globe? If that does not do the trick, then show pictures. But if you want to be more frank about it, then you can confront your friends and let them know, in a diplomatic and kind way, what you think about their food management habits and the reason why you're so concerned.