From seed or young plants?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Lostvalleyguy • Mar 20, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    It is approaching gardening season here and has probably already reached many of you. One way we can save a lot on our gardening costs is to grow what we can from seed. It takes more time and often more care and planning, but it is the one way a gardener can cut costs. Growing from young plants saves a lot of time and effort. Often there is a money back guarantee if a plant dies. The young plants usually take off well and the garden starts to look like a garden in a much shorter period of time.

For you, is it preferable to buy all of your plants as young plants to get that instant garden look, or do you prefer to save a little cash and start things from seed? It is sometimes needed to do a little of both, if so, where do you draw the line?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For someone like me who lives in the country, I always obtain my seedlings straight from my nurseries. If I don't have what I intend to plant because my neighbors are helpful and kind, I can always express my interest in getting some free seedlings. $0 cost.

Those who aren't as lucky as me would be better of buying seeds to plant in their gardens. It may demand some hard work initially but it takes about a week for seeds to germinate and not more than three weeks before the plants you'd have bought. So, why buy expensive young plants?