Frozen or Fresh Fruits

Discussion in Food & Drink started by chiofthenorns • Sep 1, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's little difference between frozen or fresh fruit so depending on someone's beliefs, they'd quite obviously prefer one over the other.

For me, I don't like fruits so if I'm buying any I'll get fresh fruits which I'll consume once. I don't buy fruits in large quantities so I've never had the fear of [them] going bad but I suppose frozen fruits are better [for you] if you intend to store the fruits longer.

2. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    I'm almost completely sure that freezing them will not damage much if any of the nutrition of most fruits. I eat fruit everyday for breakfast and have had both and feel the same kind of boost from both. Go ahead and stock up if they're on sale they last forever if sealed right.

3. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Freezing fruits the instant they are harvested does help in sealing in the nutrients and hence it is not wrong to say they may potentially be fresher than the fruits we buy off the shelves. However, I would be more concerned about the possible addition of preservatives to them and also how they handle the product. Mis-handling can lead to the product being contaminated, where in Australia a few months back, there was an outbreak of hepatitis A with frozen berries! I will still lean more towards fresh fruits. Texture wise, they just seem much more pleasant to munch on!

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I agree with Gemma that it saves money buying frozen. I buy other frozen food and it lasts all month, so I save money not wasting anything. I pass by the frozen fruit section and in Hawaii it's high. I like small packages of frozen fruit and all I see is big packages way too expensive for me. I'll keep looking for I like to add to my sugar free low carb ice creams with frozen fruit & nuts too.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is an S&R here that has a big pack of frozen strawberries. The grocery attendant said that the frozen strawberry is normally used for shakes and smoothies although it is also good for baking. But it is not advisable for eating like a fresh strawberry. My husband is fond of durian fruit which he buys from a special store that sells frozen durian. He said it is like eating ice cream with durian flavor. No, I haven't tasted durian.

6. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Its normally quite the opposite with store produce and although choice will very much depend on how your are planning to eat the fruit - when you consider the fact - that the moment a fruit is picked it immediately starts to lose valuable nutrients

As the fruit sold in stores is generally far from fresh and more often than not - probably more like a month old at least and therefore totally lacking any form of nutrient by the time it reaches our tables - due to the fact - that it has been transported from growers, to warehouses, to stores and then sat around on shelves waiting for the consumer to buy it and then of course there is the aspect - that not only are out of season fruits usually quite expensive - but have most likely been sprayed with chemicals in order to help them grow, to preserve them during transportation and to increase their shelf life.

Unlike frozen fruits - which as they are harvested at their prime and frozen immediately - are not only fresher than those bought in the store and therefore more likely to still contain most of their valuable nutrients - as well as way less in terms of chemicals and preservatives.

Generally speaking - as fresh is only best - if grown yourself and picked at its prime or bought fresh from a local producer - as that is the only way that fresh produce is likely to still contain any nutrients - buying frozen would be the better option - not just nutritionally - but as frozen fruits are generally harvested when in season - the price normally remains stable - which makes them better value for money - especially as they are usually way less expensive than their " fresh " counterparts.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I once saw a TV documentary that claimed that most fresh fruit and veg no longer have the same nutritional value as what they used to. In fact, I was shocked to hear that the nutritional could be approximately about a tenth of what it used to be. The program actually said frozen fruit and veg is more nutritional. I sometimes buy frozen veg, but even with this knowledge, I still can't seem to buy into frozen fruit.

8. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    If I'm making smoothies with the fruit I usually buy frozen fruits that are already packaged. It's so convenient to pop the frozen fruit into the blender and add yogurt, coconut water and some honey. They last forever in the freezer too. With fresh fruit I will sometimes buy too much and end up throwing it out when it spoils. I like to buy fruit that will keep a bit longer like apples and oranges. I only buy a few bananas at a time as my kids will only eat them if they are perfectly yellow. If they go brown they get relegated into the freezer for banana bread or muffins. I will sometimes freeze my fresh fruit too if I know they aren't going to last. Strawberries and raspberries are great for this. I'll just pop the whole container in the freezer, let them freeze and then toss them into a freezer bag.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use frozen fruit in my smoothies. I would prefer to eat fresh fruit but frozen or out of the can is good. To save the fruit from spoiling I will freeze it, I freeze bananas all the time to save them to make banana bread later.

10. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to snack on fresh fruit, but have bought frozen fruit in the past, especially berries, to use in pies, breads, or cakes, on ice cream, or for use when making milk shakes. Frozen berries can also be used as a topper on things such as pancakes, to add in some extra flavor and nutrients. Now that it's Fall, I will be buying some frozen fruit again, since most berries are out of season, and I will want to do more baking when the colder weather hits.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends where the fruit came from and how old it is. Frozen seems to be the best option, from a nutritional standpoint, while shopping at a grocery store.. but not always and it would also depend how that food was grown etc etc. My answer will always be "depends" when it comes to the food I choose.. because it's not a simple choice between A and B, but where they come from.. who grew them, how they grew them and how old the food is (before and after picking/freezing etc). I care very much about these things. I will always go for fresh, as long as fresh is newly picked.. and I will chose it regularly even if it's not, because I prefer the taste. I will also make sure to have plenty of frozen in the freezer though. I love fruit, so I have a lot in the house at all times.

12. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I like the taste of fresh fruit more, but we almost always buy frozen fruits in this house. We just don't eat our fruit quickly enough to warrant getting the fresh stuff. The markets 'round our house also suck, so the fruit we get seems to go bad within a day or two of purchase, refrigerated or not. I also find frozen fruit to be a little bit cheaper.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't bough any fruits yet at all, but I would buy the non-frozen ones and I would just freeze them myself at home when there are leftovers.

14. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I usually go for fresh fruits, because I tend to eat them during that same week. I have heard that frozen fruit is comparable to fresh nutrition wise, so if I had to I wouldn't mind buying frozen.

15. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fresh for sure! The taste is not comparable, not to mention when they are frozen, they don't maintain the vitamins and nutrients as they do on fresh fruits.
    I only have frozen fruit when making smoothies. I like freezing strawberries to prepare the smoothie with yogurt and some milk.

16. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I always prefer fresh fruit because they are more nutritious and have not gone under any food processing that may have altered its nutrient content and quality. Fresh fruit are also better for fresh fruit juices and making fruit desserts because they are much more delicious. I have nothing against frozen fruit because they may also come in handy in times when we are travelling or we need to bring some snacks on a trip which needs a greater food shelf life. It would depend on your preference, but for home and daily use, I always prefer fresh fruits.

17. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    I have no problem with frozen fruit. It probably is "fresher" and it lasts longer. However, the unfrozen fruit that's on display is more than likely not fresh by any means. If you add on the shipment time and the time it sits on display, the fruit and veggies are probably near rotting. I have an ex boyfriend that worked in the fruit and veggie section in Wal-Mart. He used to tell me horror stories about how many shipments of the foods they'd get that was already rotten and still put them on display. I'm staying weary of buying those foods being displayed.

18. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I also prefer fresh fruits over frozen ones.
    The only time I like frozen fruits is if I make a smoothie or milkshake out of them or I warm them up and add some vanilla ice cream to it.

I think health wise there is no big difference but I could be wrong.

19. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really see anything wrong with frozen fruits, i mean we do put our fruits on the fridge right after we purchase them from the stores anyways, at least that's what i do. As long as they are still edible, I'm fine with it.