Frozen Pizza Reviews

Discussion in Product Reviews started by RaidAurora • Mar 10, 2014.

1. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    Look, I'm not going to beat around the bush here. I've eaten upwards of two hundred frozen pizzas in my life, of various shapes and sizes, of a dozen brands and topping combinations, and let me tell you, it isn't pretty. The world of frozen pizza is one of sadness and regret. You want to have a real pizza, one where a chef (or yourself) kneaded out the dough, mixed the sauce by hand, sliced the pepperoni and mozzarella, you know. Real pizza. Well, that's not what this is about. This is about those long nights when you don't have time for that nonsense, the nights where the only thing that matters is getting greasy, cheesy food into your mouth ASAP while still working on other more important things. This is about the frozen pizza.

I'm just going to spitball some brand names here and rate them out of 10. You all can tell me what you think of them. This list will hopefully become more comprehensive over time.

Jack's - 7, good cheese and sauce, bad toppings, eh crust. Special: Mexican Jack's pizza is a solid 8.
    Red Baron - Varies, usually a 6. Microwavable pizza was never meant to be, but they try anyway. As for the oven, I'd give it another 7. Average.
    Digiorno - 8, really does taste like a delivery chain. I tend to avoid thicker crusts but they do a good job.
    Celeste - 4, really awful cheese.
    Roma - 7, about the same as a Jack's.
    Tombstone - 8. Would prefer to buy over nearly all other brands.

Keep in mind I'm making these ratings conscious of them being frozen pizzas. Compared to regular pizza, they obviously rank far lower than the numbers you see here. The comparison is between one another.

2. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    They can be nasty. Digireno used to be pretty good, but over they last couple of years there quality has gone downhill quick. I haven't tried Tombstone in a long time but I remember it tasting like cardboard, it was terrible, we would have been better off eating the box. I thought Romo's looked like it might be good but I think for the most part I am don't with frozen pizza. I wish I could give you a ranking list, but we just don't get them anymore. Unless they have improved over the last 2 years, I just have to pass on trying anymore of them, at least for now.

3. Manny

MannyMember

Threads:
    They're pretty bad for the most part. I usually go for what's on sale and stay away from thin crust. There's a brand called Mike's where I live that has decent frozen pizzas. They're more expensive but are also much larger. They have a 1kg "international" pizza that's pretty good.

4. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    We've done our fair share of trying frozen pizzas as well. The thing that I can't typically stand about them is the sauce, there is something about it that just always tastes off to me. With that all said, pretty much the only frozen pizza that I can eat is Tombstone.

5. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    Perhaps my opinion of frozen pizzas is tinted by nostalgia. I've been eating them for so long (their convenience has saved me on many a sleepless night) that I don't even recognize them as tasting bad anymore. I think the trick is to separate in your mind what regular pizza tastes like and what frozen ones taste like. The sauce is never actual pizza sauce (I'm convinced it's watered down) and the cheese is incredibly suspect on nearly all of the pizzas listed.

If you're used to eating food of about a similar quality to frozen pizza, it honestly isn't that bad. During days of desperation, my roommates and I will head to the corner store and buy their frozen burritos for about 50 cents to a dollar a pop. Now that's a meal that you won't forget.

6. DebValentine

DebValentineNew Member

Threads:
    We always buy Tombstone, its the best pizza for its price. When we want something a little different or have gotten sick of pepperoni, we use California brand pizza. Its in a bright yellow box, with a nice huge picture of whats inside. The crust is nice and thing, and you never feel jipped on toppings or sauce (at least i never have). The only thing that i don't like is that it is a little pricey compared to other frozen pizzas.

7. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I use to eat frozen pizzas, but they are not worth it anymore. Why would i pay $10 for a frozen pizza, when i could go to Dominoes and get 2 medium 2 topping pizzas for $12. It would be a waste of money to buy a frozen pizza when i could get a hot, fresh pizza for cheaper.

8. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    See, my counterargument to that is that the frozen pizzas around here are ~3-5 dollars, and thus much cheaper than any "real" pizza I could buy at a moment's notice. The only exception to this rule is Little Caesar's, but they're located prohibitively far from my house and do not deliver in my town. Again, I'd prefer to be eating homemade pizza or even Domino's. This is more of a "I'm on a budget and have to eat trashy pizza" sort of rating system.

9. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    Frozen pizza is one of the few things that, if I buy it, I always buy the most expensive ones. Have you ever tried Tony's frozen pizza? It's in an orange box and is insanely cheap. I could not even finish a slice. It was absolutely the worst frozen food I've ever experienced. Same with those cheap Tostino's pizzas. No thanks!!

10. winsomenotions

winsomenotionsMember

Threads:
    Frozen pizza constantly continues to disappoint me. I don't understand why it's so difficult for manufacturers to make it taste like real pizza! What is the difference? I think my favorite brand is Amy's. It obviously isn't as good as chain pizza or home made pizza but I still look forward to getting it. One downside is because it is organic it isn't quite as cheap as all other frozen pizza brands. I also like Digiorno's, it is almost a suitable replacement for delivery, but not quite. Thanks fro your great reviews, I'll try some of those brands out. :)

11. starfox64

starfox64Active Member

Threads:
    Frozen pizzas are generally pretty lame. The only two that I really eat are Digiorno's and Sam's Club. I always pull Digiorno's out of the oven a couple minutes early because if not, if also falls victim to tasting like cardboard like the other cheaper frozen pizzas.

12. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    I have tried Tony's and it is honestly one of the most horrible frozen pizzas on the market. They sell them at my college's corner store. Everything about them is wrong. Probably a 2/10 in that I would eat one in a dire emergency, but never any other time.

13. klieny

klienyNew Member

Threads:
    Frozen pizzas are for people with no taste. They all have the same distinct taste, but just a different box. Fresh pizzas are the way to go. i rather make a homemade pizza than a frozen one loaded with preservatives.

14. kindredsoul

kindredsoulNew Member

Threads:
    I like DiGiorno pizza best.The crust could be better, but they really do have a lot of cheese and pepperoni on their pizzas. I do not like Red Baron. Yuck. I would have to say that I would tie the yucky award with Tombstone pizza. I have never tried Jack's pizza. I have never even heard of it. I did try Celeste pizza and it tasted like cardboard pizza. Even when I am really broke, I don't buy that brand.

15. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    I never understood the cardboard comparison for frozen pizza crust. Mine cook pretty well. Maybe I've wandered into "frozen pizza is comfort food" territory, which could be pretty bad news.

16. DebValentine

DebValentineNew Member

Threads:
    The Tony's pizza is the absolute worse thing i have tasted! I licked the cardboard it came in and it had a better taste. I don't know what they make it with but that crap is nasty.

I live fairly close to a little ceasars and i would much prefer to buy from them instead of frozen. The only thing is, is that i have to go get it every time i want pizza (aka quick dinner for the family). Instead i can just pop the frozen pizza in and continue doing things at home without having to get ready and leave.

#16Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  17. starfox64

starfox64Active Member

Threads:
    The only problem that I have with Little Caesars is that their pizza is only good about 10 minutes after buying it. If I have to pick it up and drive back to my place with it, it is usually already becoming kind of nasty looking by the time that I sit down and begin to eat it. But for the price, it really is not a pizza for someone that is looking for something quite cheap and quick.

18. astockd1

astockd1Member

Threads:
    Digiorno has a stuffed crust, five-cheese pizza that I recently had the pleasure of experiencing. The crust tastes just like a legitimate stuffed crust, freshly made by a delivery chain. I didn't like Tombstone- I got it on sale for $4 once, and it just wasn't nearly as good as Digiorno. This stuffed crust pizza is really the best frozen pizza I've ever had, and I plan to eat it regularly now. I also really enjoy Party Pizzas- they're small, for one or two people, and only $1.48 per pizza. Very tasty for such a cheap pizza.

19. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    This is incredibly accurate. Little Caesar's was always fine when it could be eaten on the spot or within a few minutes of purchasing it, but given the time differential between my dorm and the storefront, it doesn't seem likely that I'll be able to enjoy some anytime soon. I've purchased three Little Caesar's for a party before and that was very satisfying but only because the house was nearby. At 5 dollars for a large pizza, though, I could rarely turn it down when a friend offered to split one. That's just money in the bank.

20. sidd230

sidd230Member

Threads:
    There is one called Mama Bosso in my area that is really good. They are made locally and make a point to state that they have hand tossed dough.