Frozen Pork Is Cheaper

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Corzhens • Jun 28, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Frozen pork is cheaper in the meat section of the supermarket. But lately, due to health issues, there are magazine articles that advocate against eating frozen meat. One culinary expert here said that frozen pork is good for 1 or 2 days and it has an effect on the taste after being frozen for more than that period. I'm sure housewives were glad to read that rebuttal against avoiding frozen pork.

Generally, most of my female colleagues pass by the supermarket on their way home after work and they usually buy frozen meat particularly pork. The cost is sometimes 20% cheaper than the fresh ones. And they say that it helps in stretching their food budget.

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure they distinguish here between frozen and fresh. It seems much of the meat I see at the supermarket has been previously frozen anyway, so I don't know that there's much of a difference between currently frozen and previously frozen.

I'd just as soon it stay frozen, rather than having been frozen, then thawed for sale, since I tend to freeze meat when I buy it, until I need it. I don't like feeling rushed to cook it right away before refreezing it, but I will do that if the meat has previously been frozen. I'll have to pay more attention to see if the packages marked previously frozen are priced lower than the fresh meat.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy a lot of pork. When I do it tends to be fresh. I don't think there is generally alot of frozen pork for sale here in the United States. We tend to have more items that are frozen like steaks, hamburgers, chicken and fish. Any pork we bought frozen would likely be part of another dish. I would say in general, frozen items tend to be cheaper than fresh, as they don't require as much maintenace.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If it's just a bit of difference in taste I have to say I don't think I mind as much. I'd only be worried if it would get us sick to freeze these meats and eat them a week later but more or less I think they are at least still safe when prepared that way. Most of the time we just put the meat into stews anyway so whatever subtle difference there I'd it will just end up being covered up by the sauce so like I said I don't really mind that much unless it really was that unhealthy, but if it's just a bit of difference in taste I think that's pretty much true for many other food items where it's definitely much better tasting to eat them as fresh as possible.