Frozen Yogurt Or Ice Cream?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by barkingsquirrel • Apr 21, 2015.

1. integrity101

integrity101New Member

Threads:
    As any diet watcher would say, frozen yogurt is healthier than ice cream but if truth be told, all yogurts are not made the same way. Some, if not most, frozen yogurts have more sugar than your average ice cream; ask any nutritionist worth her name. My vote still goes to a good coffee flavored ice cream.

2. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, it depends on where you're getting it from! If I'm going out and getting it in a shop in soft serve form, frozen yogurt is hard to beat. It has nice, light flavor, whereas ice cream can be a lot heavier. But I don't like it much from the freezer section in the grocery store. In my experience, it gets freezer burnt easily and doesn't hold up to what you can get at a froyo shop. It could save you money to buy it and take it home, but I don't think it's worth it, in this case.

3. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    I used to treat a frozen yogurt as an ice cream. Now I realize it was a huge mistake. I prefer using both products. The first FY I tried was at Burger King. It, however, was very simple and even tasteless. No additional elements.

4. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    OMG this topic just started a war within me. I want to say Yogurt because I love it so much. But I also want to say ice cream because... I love it so much :p Its like chosing between children, I can't really decide.

5. knitmehere

knitmehereMember

Threads:
    I prefer ice cream. I only go for either when I really want a treat, and I figure that if I'm treating myself then I might as well go all the way and have real ice cream.

6. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Well, that's a nice argument for ice cream. Hmm... well, I only like certain flavors, so if I find those flavors, I would definitely go for the ice cream. With yogurt, any kind of yogurt would do... Wait, so I'm confused again :p

7. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer ice cream any day. I'm just not a fan of yogurt on the whole and I find that the flavours are generally better with ice cream. I like frozen coconut milk as well as another alternative to the two of them. I've heard that frozen custard is meant to be good but this isn't something I've ever tried as far as I'm aware. I usually go for ice cream because it's cheaper on the whole than any of the other options though.

8. CaptainOblivious

CaptainObliviousMember

Threads:
    I always go with the complete experience and prefer to go with Ice Cream, always. Frozen yoghurt just dosent feel right to me I guess. The idea of ice cream is just so much nicer... :p

9. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    For me it really depends on my mood overall. Here in Mexico we have an amazing frozen yoghurt brand called Nutrisa which lets you prepare your frozen yogurt with a bunch of different options. When I get it I usually add a bunch of strawberries and cereals as well as some cookie crumbs sometimes. Ice cream is definitely cheaper though so I tend to eat that a lot more often. The heat here really pushes you toward frozen stuff all the time.

10. Norjak71

Norjak71Member

Threads:
    I'm always going to choose frozen yogurt. For me, it's more about texture than taste and it's something that I can enjoy walking along the pier or beach as well. It's way smoother, the flavors are more comparable with my tastes and it's not something that I need a spoon to eat it with, since I usually get it in a cone. Yes -- I know you can get ice cream in a cone too; however, my teeth are really sensitive as of late and it's just not the best option.

11. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I love both ice cream and frozen yogurt, but I vastly prefer when I make it myself. I have had several ice cream makers, some which work better than others, but I really enjoy experimenting with creating different flavors and perfecting old favorites.

12. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I enjoy both too. Since you've had several ice cream makers, which ones would you recommend to someone who is interested in getting one. My budget isn't very high for this item, could I get one between $40-$70?

13. Naturalbeauty92

Naturalbeauty92New Member

Threads:
    Who doesn't love a delicious bowl of ice cream but sometimes what you love can have a major impact on your health. I am now a frozen yogurt fan because it is tasty as well as healthy. I usually go to this store called Peach Swirl and get my frozen yogurt because it has so many flavors and toppings. Ice cream hands down taste better but I choose healthy over taste any day.

14. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I love ice cream! I've only had frozen yogurt a couple of times and while it's good, nothing can beat good old ice cream. Ice cream is definitely my go to summer treat since I grew up with it. I prefer the texture of ice cream and I love going to my local ice cream shop and getting all sorts of toppings and delicious add-ons.

15. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    In recent years, frozen yogurt has become a popular alternative to ice cream due to its reputation for being healthier. Actually, It Depends on the type of frozen yogurt and toppings you eventually choose, because given that ice cream may actually be the healthier choice.

Ice cream and frozen yogurt are both frozen treats made from dairy, but there is a significant difference that sets both apart. In order for a frozen treat to be regarded as ice cream, it must contain at least 10 percent milkfat. Frozen yogurt is not made with cream and does not have a fat requirement. Instead it is made with yogurt although probiotics do not survive the freezing temperatures.

If you choose to eat frozen yogurt, remember totake into account your portion size and choose the healthier toppings. Choose toppings such as fresh fruit, granola and nuts to get the antioxidants, protein and fiber. These toppings will also likely be lower in calories, fat and sugar than other toppings in comparison. If you prefer ice cream, try decreasing your fat intake elsewhere in your diet to make up for the higher fat content.

16. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    Right off, I would have to say ice cream. I have not eaten yogurt in a very long time, and the times when I have eaten it, which was years ago, were very seldom. However, I have always liked ice cream and I tend to like most flavours. The yogurts that I have tasted always had a kind of acidity in them. Having said that though, I think yogurt may be the healthier choice since both the sugar and fat content would be lower than that found in ice cream.

17. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I would usually just say ice cream and think nothing of it, but recently I had this raspberry frozen yogurt and it was fantastic, and it felt a lot better than eating ice cream. I think on flavor alone I might still go with the ice cream, but when you factor in feeling a little lighter and not really feeling guilty or anything like that, that frozen yogurt was a nice alternative. I am not sure what the brand was, but I will find out and report back, because they do deserve some recognition.

18. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest I have never actually tried frozen yoghurt. I have been like you and all my life had ice cream or plain ices. I've often seen them in the chiller and thought to myself that I must try one some day but I wouldn't know what flavour to go for. I suppose I would like to try a blackcurrant or cherry one would be nice.

19. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I have had frozen yogurt a few times and its not bad, also its pretty healthy-although if you choose low-fat ice cream, its about the same as far as the calories and saturated fat go. I think I would go with some kind of low-fat vanilla ice cream with some cherries or strawberries in it though. I scream,you scream,we all scream for frozen yogurt or ice cream !

20. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    If you would have asked me this a couple of years ago it would have been a much different response. I really never gave the fro-yo a good shot, but I must admit that it is pretty close and generally much healthier.