Frugal Living

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Zyni • Dec 31, 2014.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm raising my daughter to try and get the best value for her money. At the supermarket, she notices a good deal before I spot it because I've been teaching her about unit prices, comparison shopping and coupons since she was little. I wish someone had taught me. It would have made my college years easier.

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So many great tips and comments. Thank you all for the replies. Acsapa, I too am proud of my girls when they get a great deal on something good. They were listening! At least some of the time, lol.

My mom did teach me. She is very good at getting the best for the lowest cost... getting the most for her money. I think it's a good thing to learn early in life.

It's also important to know how to get by when times are tough.

3. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I think that's insane because nothing that isn't a computer or household appliance should cost that much. That's worse than people spending that much on a pair of shoes. What's the point, because you can? It's not even something you would get to enjoy over any real period of time.

Frugal folks are the ones who end up being secret millionaires when they are older.

4. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's important to say that noticing a good deal is only part of making early adult years easier. The biggest thing is learning to set appropriate priorities and not spending money before you actually have it. Young people tend to spend because they know there is more coming, and often that can backfire.

5. LAGuy

LAGuyMember

Threads:
    Chanell, that's good advice even for older people. I look around and see people wasting money constantly. They need to have the newest everything - cars, phones, computers - anything, as long as it's shiny and new.

I actually take not spending as a challenge every month. I like to see how much I can put aside.. Then when I need a new car, or phone, or computer, it doesn't mean I'm making 6 years of payments...

6. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    LOL, I take not spending as a challenge every day!

I know someone who spends money like it's an incurable disease. This person is constantly buying stuff and it's worse because the things purchased are not necessarily new or shiny. My car, and the one I had before it came from the thrift store.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find that so many people do this. It seems to be worse in certain areas, and amongst certain social groups, than with others, and in other areas. Certain people will make out that they really have money like that, and are forfeiting the important things, such as bills, in order to simply appear like they are 'balling.' Ridiculous!!

8. LAGuy

LAGuyMember

Threads:
    We know a couple who look like they must be making millions a year, even though I'm pretty sure they're not... They put pictures on Facebook of their first class European flights, their trips on the QE2, their trips to Disneyland every few months and pictures of every restaurant they eat at - several times a week... they seem like the ultimate "consumers", but went from living in a large house to now living in an apartment... Something tells me they're spending what they don't really have...

9. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I believe a "frugal" life style is one of the first steps to a life of freedom, and happiness. By purchasing only things that add value to your life, you will be able to reduce clutter and wasteful spending.

My best tip is question every purchase you make. So when you are about to buy, ask yourself if this will truly add value to my life, or am I buying on impulse. I also do this with my current belongings. If it just takes up space, I will sell or give it away. A organized life is vital to limit wasteful spending.

10. LAGuy

LAGuyMember

Threads:
    Eagletai, you are SO right... Filling your life with things doesn't make you happy. I think as I get older, I need and want less things... Things I used to think were really important just aren't any more... an that's a good thing...

11. guineapigsandgardens

guineapigsandgardensMember

Threads:
    One of my favorite ways to live frugally is to use everything in the kitchen. I have started a garden using the scraps from my romaine lettuce, red leaf lettuce, onions, garlic, avocado, and lemons. The lemons don't grow the trees, just leaves, but they are a great natural room refresher!

If I can't regrow it from the scraps then I 'll add it to my compost. I hate letting things go to waste.