Fruit Directly From The Tree

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Sunflogun • Jul 2, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    One thing I love the most is to pick fruit from the tree and to eat it. I feel it has more energy and it tastes better. I am fortunate enough to do this from time to time. What about you, do you have this possibility too?

2. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    I sold my rural belongings and moved to the city a long, long time ago. I don't plant any seed because I can't do it in the front of the bulding I'm currently living it, haha, I buy absolutely everything. Though yeah, I see where you're coming from. You could save up a lot of money if you planted your own fruit, but I'm incapable of doing it, haha. I'm glad you can though.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh I wish! Nothing healthier than food from the source. My husband's grandmother has pear trees in her yard and she gives us bags and bags full, it's awesome. That's the closest I get though, I won't go anywhere near his family lol. Oh and strawberries.. we usually pick our own. So good :)

4. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's great if you have a home where you can have some fruit trees that will thrive. In my country, it isn't always the best weather for fruit trees, however we do manage to get apples and pears a lot of the time, which are always very nice. The great news is that we get enough to last us for the whole of the season, and this means that we don't have to worry about paying for them from the store, which always saves us at least a little bit of money.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Before our mango tree was felled by the typhoon last year, we used to do that - pick and eat. My husband is fond or ripening the fruit on the tree so it would be fresh when we eat it. Yesterday he picked 4 sugar apple and asked me to eat because it will not be fresh anymore the next day. But I was able to finish only 2.

6. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Sadly I don’t have any fruit trees where I live. But I know a few people who do, and sometimes they’ll give me some of their fruits. It’s wonderful stuff indeed, and free to boot! That alone makes it even better, haha. There does seem to be a massive taste difference too; I generally don’t eat store-bought oranges anymore because the local ones, while they’re a bit less attractive, are usually sweeter and juicier.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Almost everyone here [where I live] has at least two fruit trees growing in their compound. I don't like fruits that much though so most of the fruits once they ripen are food for the birds. However when I have kids visiting, the usually enjoy eating fruits from the trees. They certainly are healthier and tastier than anything you'll get at some store and saves me lots of money since I don't have to buy them [the kids] fruits.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We don't have trees we can pick from here because we live in a building complex but we do have lots of friends who give us fruits from their trees from time to time and although I enjoy it and it does end up helping me save from buying fruits from time to time the fruits I'd get will be under or overripe since the pickings are more random, but with only that as a drawback I have to say I consider this to be a mostly positive thing since I don't lose anything in the process of receiving these anyway.

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    You're very lucky! I would absolutely love to, my grandma has a huge, beautiful garden with a lot of fruit and veggies available to her right from the tree/vine. There is nothing else like it! Unfortunately our tiny, very urban apartment allows for some container gardening with herbs and little else. Certainly no fruit trees here.

10. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't picked fruit and eaten it, but I have grown veggies in my garden, picked them and eaten them. There is something nice about being able to go out into the garden and pick some veggies to at that you know haven't been smothered in pesticides.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sadly, I don't anymore. But when I was growing up, we used to have lots of fruit trees growing everywhere; pawpaw (papaya), oranges, mangoes, bananas, tangerines, grapes, guavas etc They do taste better, and notably sweeter. I miss those days because the only fruit and veg I have is from the supermarket and it's not quite the same :(

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We do have mangoes in our garden, but I don't really notice that it's better-tasting and has more energy than those fruits that are being sold. I do think that growing fruits and vegetables in your own garden can be very beneficial and it can save you a lot of money if you grow lots of plants.

13. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    We do have a mango tree and guava tree in our garden. We also have a lot of vegetables in there. I do love the taste of fruits and vegetables freshly picked from the garden. They are juicier and flavorful than store bought ones.

The only problem is even insects love their taste. Lol. We have to inspect each fruit before eating as there may be worms or bugs in it. As they are pesticide free, insects feast in these fruits.

14. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    Yes in my area you do and there is nothing better then an apple picked right off the treat. They are so sweet, crunchy and juicy. I love apples when they are in season. All fruit and vegetables are so much better and healthier for you when they are freshly picked.

15. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    Where I live fruit trees do not really grow, unless it is inedible apples!
    It would be nice to grow fruit, but I am not in the right area for it, although I have picked strawberries in a field before, and they tasted fantastic!

16. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I live in a community where most people own the property they are growing their fruit on & can become a little obsessive. Which normally I could care less about but when you see rotting fruit just being neglected you start to think why the hell did you start growing this anyway? The point is to not be wasteful & feed as many people as you can from a tree or a bush or a garden. That's always been my way anyway. I'd give everything away before I'd watch it wilt or rot.