Fruit

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Sep 30, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fruit is most likely one of the most healthiest foods ever, yet there are people who don't consume them. I've heard that it's more healthier to eat fruit between meals or even before the meal, but the common practice is to eat it after meals. Any truth in this that you are aware of?

2. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I think some people get caught up in the sugar content of fruit but they don't realize that natural sugar is different from refined sugar. The sugar content in fruit will not harm you. It's a great way to snack throughout the day. Eating fruit excessively can be bad for you, sure, but that is true for any food! An apple or two a day will not harm you. I love eating fruit in the morning with granola or as a side with eggs. I'll also eat it as an afternoon snack by itself. It keeps me from eating unhealthy snack foods like crackers or chips.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't remember much from the article regarding this that I read a long time ago, but eating fruit before the meal is better because your body retains a lot more from the good stuff. Why? After the meal a lot of acid is released for digestion and that acid tends to destroy a lot of what makes the fruit healthy for us. So I made it a habit to eat fruit daily, apples mostly, in between meals.

4. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That's interesting prettycolors, I hadn't read that.
    I always eat fruit after meals, as dessert, especially peaches, apples and bananas.
    I'm sad to hear that it's not as good for me but it can't hurt + it leaves a pleasant taste in the mouth.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think sweet fruits should be eaten before meals, they should be accompanied by something like cheese or nuts that balances the sugar with good fats. Tart fruits and berries are very low glycemic and can be eaten anytime. I personally have a hard time getting fruit into my diet because I just don't want to eat for some reason. I know I should and I make an effort to, but I usually end up eating more dried fruit than fresh. It's easier for me in chewy form for some reason.

6. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I like fruit at any time. I put berries in my cereal. Tomatoes and cucumbers (both are fruits) make every sandwich better. Apples with peanut butter are a perfect snack. And peaches, berries, kiwi, or even bananas are great with vanilla ice cream for dessert.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know of people who have cured themselves of all kinds of ailments solely by consuming certain fruits over a period of months. Obviously, fruit are full of vitamins and minerals, and they possess curative and cleansing properties. People often forget that tomatoes, avocados and a range of other "vegetables" are actually fruits.
    I have a friend who has been a fruitarian for many years. He swears that his particular diet helped him overcome his cancer.

8. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    Does your friend eat only fruit, Dora M.? I have been vegetarian for twenty years, and could not imagine a diet that restrictive! I tried being vegan, but stopped when it seemed like my diet was consuming my life. Of course, if it can help cure cancer, it's worth the extra planning! Fruits are chock-full of antioxidants, so I'm not surprised. Bananas are still quite affordable and have lots of potassium. Here, the Dollar Tree carries bags of frozen fruits for a dollar. They are exactly the same as the frozen fruit in the grocery store, but at $1, they are only about a third of the price. I use them in smoothies or thaw them to put in pancakes or over ice cream or cereal.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not aware of the time best to eat a fruit. But I am one among those who practice eating it right after the meal as my dessert. But I think that it's really quite good to eat them before the meal, if your goal is trim down you body because doing so will give you less appetite for the meals to follow that are higher in calories as compared with the fruit.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    What I've heard is that if we eat the fruit after the meal it makes digestion slower because it get's mixed with all the acids from digestion. If it's between meals it passes quickly through the body and it has a cleansing effect.

11. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Well, unlike other people, I eat fruit all the time. I like it. I am even open to trying different kinds of fruit from different countries. I eat a fruit such as a banana before a meal to avoid eating too much rice. I sometimes eat it after a meal to remove the taste of meal from my mouth. I also eat fruits as a snack. :)

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I think that is one great healthy habit you have. Just recently I managed to get myself the discipline of bringing fruit to work and it's great to eat a piece of fruit in the middle of the morning and afternoon, the body thanks us for that, I feel lighter and healthier.