Fuel Saving Tips

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by chiofthenorns • Sep 6, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Does anyone have fuel saving tips to share? For the past few months, the price of diesel and gasoline has been soaring in the Philippines. This is the reason why my dad refuses to drive me to the office or wherever I need to go. Public transportation fare is also increasing because of the same problem. If you have tips on how to save fuel, please share them here! Thanks!

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    What about carpooling? You can share a ride to work with someone else or a few other people who live nearby and everyone can share the costs. Or you can rotate which days each person drives so that you're only having to spend a limited amount each week.

3. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:

That might not work especially in the Philippines. The only thing that I can see that will work even to other countries is bicycle. Thailand, Japan and elsewhere uses bike to travel. If you have electronic bike/jeep which i think is already available in the philippines, this will be great.

4. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    There aren't many ways to save on gas, the fact is, cars will use gas, the best ways however to avoid using excessive gas is to; desist from using the a/c seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day. The second way to improve gas mileage is to; drive at or u der 50kmh. The faster you drive is the more gas is consumed. Lastly, you ought to service your car every six months, the better your car is performing, the less gas it will use.

#4Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  5. Timetrvlr

TimetrvlrMember

Threads:
    Driving Miss Daisy

A great movie! I can imagine having to be her Chauffeur and how I would have to drive in order to pleas a cranky old lady. first of all I'd have to drive very smoothly avoiding any sudden stops or starts and moving gently around the curves so as not to disturb her. turns out that that's exactly what it would take to achieve maximum fuel economy with a limo or a Smart Car. So, sit back, relax and imagine you are a Chauffeur driving Miss Daisy. First thing; always leave early so you won't feel rushed.

When you start your car, is it necessary to warm it up? Well, no, not any more, we have modern engines and modern lubricants, so get in and go, no warm up needed.

My mother was a jackrabbit starter; she put the pedal to the metal and always spun the tires leaving. My father could only shake his head and buy new tires every year. She used a lot of gas too.

Years ago, my driving instructor told us to imagine we had an egg pressed between our foot and the gas pedal. I have a vivid imagination and that worked for me. If I ever had a job like Driving Miss Daisy, I could do it without slamming her back in the seat cushions.

Of course, if we are Driving Miss Daisy, we would be careful about slamming the brakes on too. Old ladies don't like that much either.

Did you ever wonder why people accelerate to a red light? I wonder about that sort of thing a lot. It's like they can only see that 20-foot space right in front of them and are totally unaware of what's happening a half block ahead. Why is that? Moral of this? Drive ahead, way ahead so you don't get in a jam or an accident and can react smoothly to slowing traffic. I like to get off the accelerator and coast up to red lights while being passed by drivers who are anxious to get to it faster.

Learning better driving habits can save a lot of gas for each of us!

6. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    I find that you save a lot of fuel if you drive at a constant speed, and minimise the use of your brakes. Try to set off slightly earlier to avoid the rush hour traffic congestion, and if possible, you can look for some alternative routes that lets you bypass the traffic jams, as I have found that sometimes, traveling slightly further, say a route that is 16 km with no congestion, actually uses less fuel than a route that is 14km but 2-3 km of it is start-stop traffic.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    There are several ways to do better on gas. They include the avoidance of under-inflated tires, keeping a vehicle free of heavy stuff, keeping the AC off, driving slower, having the air filter checked, and driving a smaller and/or more economically efficient vehicle. Does anyone know of more tips?

8. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    We are choosing to walk more than using the car or the bike. This is helping us a lot for the health. You can see that those who make use of the transport too much are known to have that issues. And another thing is that fuel saving requires a lot of effort on our part. If we can do that then sure it'd be easier that way. I don't however make choices all the time though. That's not something we should think of every single time.

9. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    That's the same thing happening here which has become a big problem as transportation costs has really increased. When I used to work my co-workers would take turns taking their cars and would give us all a ride, of course we would all pay our share but it would be much cheaper than the transportation and it was more convinient for the car owner as she usually made enough money to fill an entire day worth of gas.

10. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    There is no way to save money on this issue, if you will try tips and advice from the Internet you may break your car pieces from the engine and that will cost you even more than buying gasoline.
    You must save money from other domains in your house and you can buy gas with that money!

11. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I've been carpooling on the way to work for sometime and it has saved me not just gas money but parking fees and toll fees as well. I would be spending 10x the amount I'm currently spending on the car pool if I bring the car to the office. We only use the car on weekends when there isn't that much traffic congestion. I also use one of my credit cards to gas up as it offers 3% discount on fuel. Other than that, I make sure that we don't carry excess baggage in the trunk as this can raise fuel consumption particularly when the maximum payload is exceeded.

12. BMT1014

BMT1014Member

Threads:
    In my own experience, when I drive my car I noticed that if I drive fast like I'm in 4th gear to fifth gear, it really save my gas. I used diesel car because it is much cheaper than gasoline the only disadvantage of diesel is that it is not eco-friendly. When I go to the market I walk instead than using my car. It's only 20 minutes away from home and it benefits me by saving gas and its a form of exercise as well. I don't know where you in the Philippines but if you live in Manila, you can save more by commuting than using a car. That is base on my experience when I came to Manila for a short vacation.

13. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our way of saving fuel is to travel earlier to avoid the heavy traffic. In going to work for 8am, we have to leave the house before 6am otherwise we will be late. But leaving for work at 4:30am gets us to the office before 6am. Instead of the 2 hours travel due to heavy traffic, our trip is less tha 1.5 hours. It's a lot of gas saved.

14. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard of a lot that I am not sure work, but they make sense. Gliding is one of the ones I always try to do and get by without using the gas, but I am really not sure if it makes any difference.

15. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you on the need for those that owns cars to service them once or twice in few months. That's the best way to keep the car performing at optimal rate and one good thing again is that you won't have to stress much about how much fuel it is going to consume as long as you don't put on the AC on a daily basis. Amazing tips you gave out.