Fully Synthetic Or Semisynthetic?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by lindbergh • May 6, 2016.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Im about to get an oil change for my car again, probably when payday comes.... When I last got an oil change, I told the mechanic to put semisynthetic oil because it was a lot cheaper than fully synthetic oil.

Now, Im kinda thinking on getting fully synthetic oil since they say that the next change oil will be after traveling 10,000 kilometers as compared to only 5,000 kilometers for semisynthetic oil. Which do you think is more cost efficient?

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Generally speaking - the best and most cost effective option when faced with this dilemma - is to always go by the manufacturer's recommendation and only use the oil specified in the owner's manual.

Especially as using the wrong oil can land up being a costly mistake - as not only will it make a noticeable difference to engine performance in terms of power and fuel economy - but more importantly can reduce the life of the engine - as well as - if the vehicle is still under warranty - invalidate the warranty altogether.

3. bogo

bogoMember

Threads:
    First, manufacturers give a weight/viscosity rating of something like 5W30. It is very important to use this no matter if it is conventional or synthetic as using others can cause damage. Secondly, whether or not you use conventional oil or synthetic has a lot to do with your car. Is this a brand new high end car that you want to keep for years and years? Or is this a beater that you are looking to unload in the next year or so? I ask this because, why spent up to 100% more on oil for a car that's not going to live long enough to see the benefits?

Also, if a car has had conventional oil, it's best to stick with what it's used to getting. Same goes for synthetic. At the end of the day, it's mostly marketing that makes synthetic so sough after. Here is some food for thought:

Honestly, it's more a personal choice. But if you want to be frugal i would go with brand name conventional when it goes on sale at wal-mart.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on how long you will own the vehicle. However, on the bright side, even if you don't own it long at least with a better brand you have the possibility of perhaps - never needing an oil change, Note, surely oil changes are always more expensive than buying oil - no matter the brand. Am I off-base here?

5. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know a lot about this but my dad always told me to get the most expensive one since it was recommended for our type of car. He said it all depends on the car itself and it's performance. Some may get affected by the semi synthetic oil. But for me the best deal is the fully synthetic option since it's double the miles.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our car is 4 years old but I still bring it to the dealer's shop for the regular maintenance. The mechanic there prefers synthetic engine oil and I agree to that. He had explained to me the effect of synthetic that it lessens friction at a higher percentage than other types of oil hence the wear and tear of the engine is slower which adds to the longevity.