Funniest Things You've Seen at the Gym?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by kingusama92 • May 3, 2012.

1. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    Those that go to the gym spend a lot of time there. As you spend more time in the gym, you start noticing funny things. This is usually in the form of another person horribly messing up their technique.

I think it's poor of anyone to laugh at people with poor technique because most are beginners. It's usually best to perhaps chirp in and help them out or let them figure things out on their own without you smirking in their general direction.

Nonetheless, for this thread's purpose, tell a funny incident you have noticed at the gym.

2. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if this is funny but to me it is. I usually laugh(secretly!) when I see some people workout with their jeans! I mean seriously? You're gonna workout with those tight jeans? How will you able to squat and thinking that they are lifting heavy weights, I am pretty sure that they sweat pretty much down there. I don't know why they use to do that.

3. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    It isn't kind, and I do check to be sure they're okay but... The thing about treadmills is that you should focus only on them not on trying to impress the girl who isn't into you or checking your expensive phone in way the guy next to you can't miss or trying to do tricks like skipping. Otherwise you're likely to take a fall.

Awful as it is I never get tired of seeing that fall happen especially if the guy (it's usually a guy) has had more than his share of chances.

4. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    Funniest thing i've seen is the guy who's literally checking his abs every 30seconds, like literally after each set he goes up to a mirror and lifts his shirt up.

5. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    LOL! This is actually true! I also have notice this scenario in the gym where I go to. Sometimes I am guilty with this act too. I don't know but I am use to looking at the mirror after every set or so. I don't know why. I just do it.

6. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    There was this one guy at the gym who was very vain. And basically used every reflective surface he could find to check himself out. I have never come across anyone who loved their own reflection so much. A real and true narcissist. Yeah, but really funny...my friend and I used to laugh non-stop, quietly of course. (-:

All these years later...he still does it.

7. Shaggz235

Shaggz235Member

Threads:
    I would go to the gym sporadically in high school during the summer depending on my work schedule and no matter what time I would go there was always this one guy who would wear a gray hoodie with the hood up sleeves cut just below the elbows (which were very pionty), with gray sweat pants. He would just walk around the gym grunting and psyching himself up for some big lift. However, I never saw him lift one thing EVER. He would just pace around and scream and grunt at himself looking in the mirror but the dude was huge and look like he could throw some serious weight around. My mind was blown.

8. love2loveu

love2loveuMember

Threads:
    What I think is funny…well at least to me is people who used those abs machines for less than 30 seconds and walk away as if they did a great abs workout. Most of those machines do not work at all. It is funny too when I see people get on a treadmill put it on incline then hold on to the railings to walk. You're not giving yourself a proper workout by holding yourself up. I know it's not laugh out loud funny but funny in a sense that people need to be properly trained on how to get the best workout for your body using equipment.

9. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    I find it funny how a lot of people capitalize in using this so called technologically designed ab burning machines thinking that these contraptions would get them fit in a matter of seconds. What these people fail to understand is that it takes determination and dedication to successfully become physically fit. Relying on these flimsy fake equipments will just frustrate them more.

10. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I don't go to gyms for many reasons but I did walk into a Bally's once because I won a free 1 week membership ( which turned out to be a scam) and while I was there I noticed a group of teenage boys working out and they were attempting to carry the heavier weights. They should all be spotting eachother and considering their size each of these kids needed at least 2 spotters because they were tiny and flimsy. I guess one of them thought himself stronger than he was and tried lifting it when no one was looking. His arms fell back, the bar rolled on the floor and he literally flipped back on the seat and landed on his knees behind the bench from how much more the bar weighed than he did. He wouldn't let it go so it flipped him over!!! :D His petrified face was priceless and a sure sign that he would never try anything like that again without someone spotting.

11. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I just find it really funny to watch the posers strutting about and looking to see if anyone's watching them. Usually, they're not, and you see the poser's look of disappointment. They seem to shrink by several inches when they realise their studied pose has not been witnessed, and that people are more interested in what they are doing than in their silly posturing.

12. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    The funniest thing to me is when I see, a rather muscular man walk up to the squat rack, throw on a bunch of plates and then do an improper squat. He can barely get to parallel and then does about three sets like he is really doing something. I would love to teach them how to do one properly, but they've done it for so long and believe that the results are clear, that it isn't worth it.

13. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    This isn't really funny... but more ironic. There is a gym across the hall from us, and I can't tell you how many times I see people come out of the gym, all sweaty from working out, and the first thing they do is light up their cigarette.... AM I the only one that thinks, why bother exercising if you are killing your self with smoking.

14. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    :D Exactly. Why the hell do they bother getting physically fit when their lungs are failing them. Slowly but surely, the nicotine from their cigarette will eat them up inside and all their hard work to earn muscle will just go down the drain because they never thought about being healthy in the inside. Pity.

15. Ja'cobeC

Ja'cobeCMember

Threads:
    OMG LMAO! I still laugh at it to this day. A women came in the gym and went right for the treadmill. She got on there for a least 10 sec and stopped. She said she was tired and walked out lmao, I killed myself laughing.

16. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    There is many an older gentleman or lady who has smoked like a chimney for ages. I used to light the cigarettes for the seniors at Kolbis. Cigarettes kill as fat kills as alcohol and stress kills - which is to say they do not kill evenly.

17. Sampson

SampsonNew Member

Threads:
    I think the funniest thing that's happened in my gym, happened to me!
    I was doing squats on the assisted rack (can't remember the proper name, I'm sure it'll come to me once I post haha), finished my set of proper squats, flipped the bar back to what I thought was locked position, and completely fell down with the bar! To be fair, most guys came and helped me up and made sure I was ok; I laughed it off and was very careful after that :p

It's either that, or when you see people load too many plates on the chest press, pump out 5 what I can only describe as pumps and boast about it to the people they're with. It's usually at this point my gym parter puts on more weight and does a full set, the look on their faces are priceless.

18. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    So far, I've been only one to the gym since signing up a week ago. Already I've noticed some things:

- A man dressing up to exercise: dress shoes, dress pants and a button-down shirt.

- The arrogance of some people. My fiancee and I were having fun, but we got a dirty look from a woman, who was looking around and thinking of signing up.

- Two people working out next to each other on a treadmill: one man is walking and the woman is doing an intense workout.

19. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I have not been to the gym in a good long time, but when I did go there more, there always seemed to be mostly guys, who would stand directly in front of one of the many mirrors around the place, and just watch himself doing his particular exercise. It was so very narcissistic to me and I would laugh to myself.

20. boone

booneNew Member

Threads:
    Funniest thing I have seen in the gym was actually me. It was mid winter and I was running on the treadmill. I had been running for 30-40 min and was nearing the end of my run. I don't know what happened but I kind of zoned out. Well I started to get pretty far back on the treadmill. I mean I could feel the roller at the end. So I tried to take a couple of big steps to get back up to the front but ended up stepping on the side of the treadmill. This caused me to loose my balance and fall, with the treadmill still going (who clips the magnet to them anyways). It shot me back off he end and into the treadmill behind me. I hurt. All I could do was sit there and laugh though cause I knew it looked funny. I casually got up after a minute turned the treadmill of and left the gym. Every now and again someone will ask me if I was the guy that turfed it on the treadmill.