Fur or Faux Fur : What's Your Opinion?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by maddie619 • Aug 8, 2014.

1. maddie619

maddie619New Member

Threads:
    Fall is quickly approaching my friends, much to my own dismay. And with fall often comes the trend of those poofy, calf-length fur coats. Personally, I don't think I like the idea of skinning an animal just to decorate yourself but then when you think about it, it's really no different than eating a chicken nugget from McDonald's. Then I think about all the poor animals that died to make you a coat and I don't think I can support that. Fashion is very important to me but fur tends to creep me out, but faux fur is something I can get on board with! It looks just as good as real fur but there is no skinning of the animals. Sounds like a win-win to me. What about you? What's your opinion on the matter?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only buy faux fur. There's a difference between killing and animal for food and killing an animal for fashion. We need to eat. We don't need to wear stupid looking long fur coats that make us look like bears.
    Plus fur is expensive and I think there are better uses for money than unflattering coats.

3. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I do not wear fur but I don't have a problem with people who do. It's just one of those things that isn't for me, but I'm not going to judge other people. I buy a fair amount of faux fur because I think it is a fun look. I do not think I will ever wear real fur, honestly the idea of it weirds me out a little.

4. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't wear fur. On the one hand I feel pretty bad about the idea of animals being skinned for fashion. On the other hand I admit I own a pair of real leather boots and I really like them (for the design, not just because they are leather, I would still like them if they weren't). The boots where a gift but I accepted it. So I'm a big hypocrite, because leather also comes from animals. I eat meat but I feel there's a difference between killing an animal for food vs for fashion. We don't need animal skin to keep us warm, we have other kinds of fabrics.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think real fur is used that much anymore these days, if at all, and I agree that it's a much better way of going about it. I personally don't wear fur but only because I'm in a tropical country, but I'd surely wear one if I lived somewhere colder because I think they look very cool and luxurious. I honestly dislike clothing and accessories made with animals skin including alligator or snake because I find it kind of gross.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the days when people used to go hunting for animals so they could sell their pelts are long gone. In China even some pet owners decide to own pets [cat or dogs] which they later slaughter and make some money off their fur. I suppose that happens in a few other countries.

Keeping an animal simply to get it's fur is [may I say obsolete?] since there are many alternatives including faux fur if you really like fur that much.

That's why I'd be a faux fur advocate anytime.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's absolutely no difference in eating and wearing an animal in the eyes of the animal. And both are completely unnecessary. We don't need to survive off animals anymore at all. The earth completely takes care of our needs when it comes to diet, and fur for fashion is disgusting as well.. would you wear dog fur? Eat a cat? Why are other animals ok? I'm not lecturing, to each their own, I'm just answering honestly and you just know I could go on and on about this lol. My own hypocrisy was why I finally gave up eating meat and I'll never buy animal skins again (leather coats, boots etc). If I could look a sweet animal in the eye and eat it later for supper that night, than so be it. But I absolutely couldn't. I wonder how many animals would be saved if it were up to us to do the killing these days when food isn't something we have to chase to survive anymore.

8. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Faux fur please. Besides being cheaper, this type of fabric is stylish. You don't have to kill off a community of animals in order to stay warm and look great!

Naturally, certain looks appeal to me more than others. Below are examples. I am a HUGE fan of the faux fur vest because it's a fun way to liven up an otherwise boring outfit.

081210-Faux-Fur-400.