Furless cats

Discussion in Pets started by H.C. Heartland • Sep 23, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I am thinking about buying my mother a furless cat as a pet. My father is very allergic to cat fur. However, my mother is really in need of an animal to give her company. She works full-time and feels a cat would be self-maintaining (more so than a dog). What do you think? I have found 6 different breeds of hairless cats: The Sphynx, Donskoy, Peterbald, Bambino, Ukranian Levkoy, and the Elf Cat. They aren't the prettiest to look at but I am not finding any ailments that are common among them. The price is pretty high. Do you think its a good idea? Yes or no? And if yes, do you know of any places where I might be able to purchase one at a reasonable price? Thanks!

2. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've seen those super expensive furless cats you mention and let me tell you I find them pretty scary, so I don't think they are the best option. I would ask your mother before buying her a pet, maybe she has other things in mind? Parrots for example are super cool, very intelligent and they can even talk!

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I never even thought of that! This summer we went to visit our friend who has a bird that spoke (I'm not sure what type of bird it was, maybe a paraqueet but it had cool feathers that fanned out on top of his head). My mother was enthralled with it. She sat there for hours and talked to it. That is also a good idea to ask first. But if I ask I know my father will end up saying, 'no'. I was thinking of going the 'forgiveness route'. But I don't live with them, so maybe I'm being braver than I would be if I were still in the house! lol

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Indeed, I would not like if someone just gave a pet because that is a huge responsibility, I would like to be asked first. If your mother did love the bird, so maybe she will go for it, they are certainly less work, but I think that a parrot is not a cheap animal to buy.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you should show those pics of those furless cats to your mom first and see if she will like any of them before you buy one, after all, I have seen some pics of such cats, and they look scary indeed! I also think fish or hamsters would be a good choice, that is, if hamsters don't cause her any allergy.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Furless cats are by far the creepiest pets anyone can own but though they are really look like that, they just are cats. And can make great pets. Don't strike them off your list just because they are not pleasant to the eyes.

Sphynx cats are the most communicative of all cat breeds but they also eat a lot. If that's your kind of thing then go ahead and get yourself such a cat.

7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Contrary to popular belief, furless cats require more maintenance than ordinary cats because they are more susceptible to cold and other diseases. :) If your mother is allergic to cats, you should just get another pet like a fish or a bird.

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do think that furless cat is very great for people who allergic to cats. I also love to have cats that are furless, but unfortunately these cats are not locally available here. Hence, I do not think about buying one from overseas and taking care of them in a region that they are not used to. I understand that the cats are very expensive, but I think it is very much worth it.

9. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I personally don't like them, just because I like fluffy cats, but that's my opinion. I know they are extremely expensive, but I've heard they're well worth it because they're very loving. I think they would be good for somebody that likes something different and maybe if they're allergic to cats too!

10. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    Let us know what you end up getting. I kind of like the look for furless cats. Some of them can be nice looking. One would make a good companion for your mom if she is truly does want a cat.

11. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it is a good idea. The hairless ones aren't even necessarily hypoallergenic. Source;

It looks like a Siberian is the cat of choice for allergy sufferers:

As she's decided she wants a cat I don't see a problem getting her one as a gift if your father is in agreement. Studies actually show that animals given as gifts are highly valued by the recipients and almost all remain in the home:

12. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't get a hairless cat just based on my principles alone. I don't really believe in paying so much money for a cat when there are millions of cats killed in shelters every year. While I understand this situation is different because there is a medical reason that requires a specific breed, Id still try to make sure the cat comes from a good environment. If you don't have much money, try using petfinder. Sometimes rare breed cats can be found for adoption there. If you must buy it then please keep in mind you get what you pay for. Cheap cats will most likely come from backyard breeders that mostly exploit their cats to make money. A lot of the time they don't feed and take good care of the mothers, or they don't take the time to socialize the kittens. Backyard breeders are illegal. Avoid those people, don't support animal abuse.

13. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I'm allergic to cats, yet have two of my own because I simply adore the species. I managed to find two bengals that I adopted as rescues. I have no problem with them allergy-wise because one of their perks is that they don't shed their fur. Even when wet, I comb their fur and not a single hair gets caught in the comb. I'm able to rub my fave all over their fluffy bodies without invoking a single sniffle.

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They're quite popular pets although they're far from cute. I hear they're not as unruly as other cats, though. Scottish Fold, Tabby and Siamese cats are really a handful. I saw people raising furless cats and the cats seem to be well-behaved and naturally tamed. Well you can go for it. You may want to ask your mother for approval as well (unless it's a surprise). I suggest you go to animal shelters and see if there's a furless cat you can adopt. I think you don't need to spend that much. Animal shelters are a good place through which you can get new pets. Those animals there need your kindness more.