Fvaorite Natural Alternatives To Pricey Supplements?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Dame6089 • Jun 8, 2016.

1. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    If you have every looked at pre-workouts and protein powders, you have probably noticed how expensive they can be. I have stopped buying these in favor of natural and cheaper alternatives. For example, instead of a pre-workout, I eat a banana before exercising. After workouts I will often eat a handful of nuts or some plain lunch meat and cheese for some protein. This has saved me a ton of cash. What are some of your favorites?

2. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    It is not necessary in my opinion to go about shopping for supplements unless I want to periodically need to improve on a flagging aspect of my health. Some of my favourite health foods are groundnuts, eggs and garlic. An avocado to top up is the icing on the cake. These come with a wholesome pack of nutrients straight from the farm gate and are quite easy on the pocket.

3. Nero-Bianco

Nero-BiancoMember

Threads:
    Chicken is really cheap for me so I tend to buy more of it than I would protein supplements. Chicken breast in particular has very good nutritional value as it is high in protein but also low in fat. Eggs are also a good cheap source of protein, but they are a little higher in fats, although these are good fats! There's also the added bonus of these things being actual food products and more eating of real food is always preferable in my opinion, haha.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do take supplements, but none that help with working out, because like you say, they can be very expensive. And to be honest, I just don't see the point. In fact, I do exactly what you do, I either take a weak cordial with me or have a small banana pre workout. If once I'm done I feel a little peckish, I have a piece of fruit or a small handful of nuts and dried fruit if my meal is a long way off. My husband prefers to go with a snickers bar because it's also crammed full of nuts.

5. HealthAndVitality

HealthAndVitalityMember

Threads:
    There are always cheaper alternatives it is just that we humans have a disease called 'impress one another'. I actually heard a lady telling her friend that she does not drink cheap water, that she only buys the volvic brand. What sheer ignorance, as I said, she wanted to impress her friend that she works out and only drinks the 'best water' whatever that is!!!.
    People get real, that does not impress anyone, it only shows how little she knows, putting it very gently.

6. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    I couldn't even afford to go to the gym but it should never stop anyone from getting into a healthier lifestyle. Natural is always the best bet. A combination of fruits and veggies makes a good smoothie that one can have as a snack or even a meal replacement. The nutrients they have not only aids in weight/fat loss but also helps the body resist infections. Veggies can give just as much protein as powders and meat but they're healthier and easier on the pocket.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have not confirmed this but I have heard multiple times that most supplements only serve as a placebo for people or at most the effect they offer is minimal. I have not looked into this myself but I tend to believe it because I have many relatives who live and have lived very long lives without ever buying even one vitamin or supplement in their life and mostly they just eat healthily and get a fair amount of exercise and fresh air. For me I choose to just eat fruits and vegetables instead of buying supplements and I think ultimately that is the cheaper and better alternative.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My preferred natural alternatives to pricey supplements would be matcha green tea, turmeric and fruits. First of all, these natural foods have one thing in common: they're rich in alkaline and anti-oxidants, which help improve your digestion. Turmeric, especially, produces the same results as a regular exercise regimen. In other words, regular intake of this herb can greatly reduce fats and toxins in your body just as if you've gone to the gym. For better results, though, you should drink turmeric tea while exercising regularly.

9. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    Yeah, I agree with most of the posters here that natural foods are the way to go! For me, I make a big smoothie for breakfast every morning with berries, spinach and greek yogurt. It's a great low-fat breakfast with tons of vitamins that I can have on the go. I take a regular, generic multi-vitamin also just to cover all the bases. I personally think protein powder is a waste of money for all but the most hardcore bodybuilders (maybe them too but whatever, that's never going to be me LOL)! I prefer to just try to eat a healthy diet.

10. Amanda Simon

Amanda SimonMember

Threads:
    trying to eat good nutritional foods like chicken, so can take that. I don't believe on powder proteins. And that protein powder is quilt very expensive. Instead of that add nutritional food on your diet plan.

11. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used a lot of whey protein powder when I was following the 20/20 diet. It is not all that inexpensive, but it was recommended on the diet. However, one thing, that is quite inexpensive, in fact you can even find it at Dollar Tree for a dollar is flaxmeal. I like to add that to cereal, oatmeal, yogurt and other items like that because it is a way to add a lot of fiber to your diet.

12. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I try to eat some fish once in awhile to get my fix of the omega-3 fatty acids without supplements-and some fish to stay away from that have high levels of mercury are swordfish,and king mackerel. I would try to stick with light canned tuna,salmon,freshwater trout and sardines to be on the safe side though. They say to eat fish 3 times a week to help you out without taking supplements.