Gadget that Fell Apart ...While Cooking

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by jneanz • Apr 4, 2014.

1. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I don't remember the name as it was more than 10 years ago but I can describe it. It was a wire instrument that was shaped like a spatula but it came with a hinge attachment similar to salad tongs. The purpose was to make pan cooking easier and reduce splatter. On the box was a picture of a large hamburger patty being flipped. It might have been about a half pound of meat and that's pretty heavy.

Anyway, it set me back a whole 10USD and it was already assembled so all I had to do was wash before using. The weekend came and I made simple quesadillas. For those outside the US, quesadillas are like grilled cheese sandwiches but use tortillas instead of bread. I used small-sized tortillas that are used to make street tacos (about 6-7 inches in diameter) and maybe a 1/4 cup of shredded cheese. Much lighter in weight than the average burger.

So I place my tortilla in the pan, followed by the cheese. After the cheese has melted some, I add another tortilla and press together using the flat part of this gadget. I then open slightly and hear something hit the floor. It is a screw but from the looks, everything is still intact. So I grab the tortillas quickly and flip in one motion. It made it but once I placed the thing on the stove to rest, it fell apart. No lie.

When I went back to the store to return this, they no longer had this on the shelves and have not seen it since.:)