Game Making Software

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by thisnthat • Oct 21, 2016.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Does anyone here have experience with game making software? If so, I'd love to hear your advice.

Is it better to start off with a free version to get your feet wet, so to speak, or is it better to just jump right in a get a paid version? Which brands are the best? Why are they the best? How do you get the best deals on stuff like this? Is there a preferred place to shop for game making software?

I'm interested in potentially buying something like this as a gift for someone who has always dreamed of making video games. Are there special requirements or special skills needed to use it?

2. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Some tools exist like Game Maker Studio, Construct 2, Unity 3D, and Unreal Development Kit. In addition, other ones include Sploder, RPG Maker XP, Multimedia Fusion 2, Construct Classic, Flixel, Blitz Max, Pygame, and XNA Games Studio.

Possibly some of these tools are free, but others might require some sort of upgrade. Anyhow, at the least, I'm sure the learning curve is steep on most of them.

#2Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  3. serbog

serbogMember

Threads:
    That really depends on what games he wants to make. There are tons of applications that are free and tons of applications that are paid, all have their bonuses and their down sides. There are some basic programs like Game Maker Studio (Don't get me wrong, by saying basic doesn't mean bad. Undertale which was a huge hit last year was made in this) which are used for beginners. And then there are some more advanced programs like Unreal Engine which is used for high graphical games which are used by big companies.

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Good to know. Thanks to both of you for adding your input. This gives me a place to start. I'll look into each of these and see what I can see.

I have heard of some of these, and yes, this would be for a beginner, so nothing like Unreal is probably necessary (at least not yet, not at this point in the process).

Basic sounds good. It sounds like a good place to start anyway. I'm sure they do all have their pros and cons.

Is this stuff available as downloads or do these kinds of things need to be purchased in a package? Where might I look for some good deals, if you know of anything off the top of your head?

5. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    Making amusements advancement open to everybody implies taking endlessly the obstructions to beginning. Utilizing instinctive 'Simplified' improvement environment you can have your diversion up and running in a matter of minutes while never writing any code!

Requiring a major spending plan to make wonderful looking recreations in now a relic of past times. In spite of the fact that it's conceivable and less demanding to make your own particular amusements, that doesn't mean it'll be simple.

6. haivu721vn

haivu721vnMember

Threads:
    I've tried Game Maker. It was great until Yoyogame come in.
    You should try the free version first. If the software is good for you, then you pay for it.
    Some Game making softwares still need a little programming knowledge. Some don't.
    I suggest RPG Maker for making RPGs, Mario Maker for making platformers if you're really suck on I.T.

7. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I really wish that I was able to actually use something like that and actually do something nice with it. I suppose I could operate it, but nothing worthwhile would come out. If you could master it and then end up making games though, that would be exciting and a good way to make some money I suppose.

8. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    If you have background on Internet technology. What I mean is making game through the use of basic programming. It would be very easy for you to do it. Nevertheless there are tons of free game makers in the Net which you could use them. Some of them have to be interpreted and compiled by an application which is self-explanatory as long as you know how to read the instructions. If you are used to it, it is a big opportunity for you to sell your games. Good luck to your plan of making computer game.

9. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    The easiest game genre to make is a visual novel. Renpy is the best software for making visual novels and it is for free. You will be able to make a game on your own with no employees then sell your visual novel online. Visual novels is a growing genre and it can get you funded at kickstarter programs much more faster. You just need to study some basic coding.