Game Pre-order

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Casiox • Aug 3, 2016.

1. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Hey everyone, I had a couple of doubts about buying a game's early access or wait until the game gets fully released instead of wasting money on something that's partially complete, the last game I ever pre-ordered was Rust and I had a really bad time with it because the game specs and requirements they had made public for the Alpha version of the game was not what it really needed to be ran decently, I ended up wasting $20 and I've not had the chance to play the game yet because my PC could not run it properly.

Do you consider the Pre-Order option as something good or what do you think?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pre-order was great back in the day when games could be sold out. As there's no likelihood of that ever happening again, even though preordering comes with some perks, there's no good reason to preorder games any more.

You can wait and buy a digital copy of the game the day it is released or if you are patient enough, wait a few months and buy the game when it is discounted.

3. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    I completely agree with you, I do not really think games get sold out like they used to in the past since they've somehow become something unlimited that can be copied in so many ways, however, there are many people all around the globe who are into buying pre-order or they're just dedicated to it for business purposes.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I suppose the reason why some people still preorder games is because at times publishers offer exclusive content to everyone who preorders the game. It could be more weapons, unlockable characters, more levels, etc that won't be on the game everyone who didn't preorder will get. They use that to entice players to preorder the games. But since you can get some DLC later anyway if you so desire, still I think there's no need to preorder a game.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't pre-ordered a game in yeals. The last time I pre-ordered a game, I think I was seventeen, which was nine years ago. It was Smackdown vs Raw, a wwe game. Games are much more accessible these days, so if people are not long standing fans of a particular gaming franchise, then I don't think they are going to pre-order.

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with all of this. There really is no reason to pre-order any more, but game makers have conditioned players to do so. I think it can contribute to the downfall of good games. I've seen some companies get quite lazy with the quality and quantity of content, once they already have the money in their hands.

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor is a good example. It was the highest priced but lowest quality expansion pack yet. The devs basically abandoned it half way through the expac cycle as well.

Also, if it's not a competitive game (where you need to keep up with everyone else), I'd wait until it goes on sale.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also think that game makers use the whole pre ordering thing to get numbers up too, and have the game seem like it is doing better in sales than it otherwise would have had people not pre ordered based upon whatever offer they were offered. Many loyal gamers don't care though. They just want the next installment of the game, and will pay ahead of time for it.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, it does tend to boost their numbers.

In some cases, there aren't even any special perks associated with pre-orders. That's what I don't understand. I kind of get it when you get something exclusive for pre-ordering, but when you don't get anything special, why bother? It's not like they are going to run out of digital copies, so there's no need to pay in advance.

I used to be one of the people who would be ready to go at launch, so I get that part of it. You still don't have to order in advance to do that though (or maybe just a day or two in advance). Months out when the content hasn't even been finished and you don't know what you'll get (or what content that was promised will end up getting cut)? No thanks.

9. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    It's only good if you get something aside if you pre-order that is worth your time and money. The only time I pre-ordered something was Pokemon Colosseum for the extra CD which you can use to obtain the legendary Pokemon Celebi.

10. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    If you have the money to burn for the game, it's all good. As long as there are other perks if you buy one. But in my point of view, I would just wait for a few months after the release until they put the game on sale. But if you are a hardcore fan of a game or just a person who really is into gaming and you do have a lot of spare cash. Go for it.

11. serbog

serbogMember

Threads:
    No, I don't think you should pre-order a game ever. In the past, maybe sometimes if there was a chance the game to be sold out, but now where you can buy a digital form of it I don't really think pre-ordering games is good at all. There are many reasons why:
    1) It is overpriced
    You can wait for it's release and if it is on steam, then you will definitely see a sale sometimes soon, and it can be a pretty big sale too. Pre-ordering games is way more expensive.
    2) You can get disappointed
    Well, you don't really know what the game looks like, and you are paying for something that isn't even finished yet. Don't be fooled by trailers, even gameplay trailers - most of the time they are not telling the truth. Wait for it's release, look some videos about it, and then buy it.

But if you don't care about wasting money on a game, then you can totally pre-order the game because it usually comes with some in-game bonus.

12. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I don't pre-order games. I just monitor them until they are out then observe people who actually bought it reviews. I also watch game play and other features that I'm interested in on YouTube. After that is when I decide to buy it or ignore it.