GameStop - Don't sell your games!

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by toughtrasher • Jul 19, 2012.

1. toughtrasher

toughtrasherNew Member

Threads:
    I'm a very avid videogamer, so it's no wonder I use Gamestop for my game-shopping needs. I really like the place, to be honest, since there's so much variety to what kind of game I want for what kind of system I own.
    They also sell systems at cheaper prices than most retailers. I prefer to shop here because they have the most selection out of everywhere else I've purchased games (Walmart/Target). There really is no competition to game-selling than GameStop.

However, selling your games is a big no-no. They are extremely cheap when they purchase old games that you have from you, because then they sell it for much higher later on. I once bought COD: Black Ops for my PS3 on launch day, and I liked it very much. It got old though, so I decided to trade my working copy in. After purchasing it for $60+tax initially, I was shocked that they were offering only $10 for it.
    It was horrible, so I decided not to sell it.

Use GameStop only if you're buying games. Do not ever sell to them because they make it a business with your pre-owned games.
    Cheers!

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My grandsons sell their games there all the time and get more games with the money from the old games. It does seem like a reap off to me. Kids to get some games for around $10. Where else do you sell your games?

3. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I am in agreement with you, toughtrasher; Gamestop is a terrible when it comes to buying your game back. Seldom will they give you more than $10 on any game you want to sell them.

It is better to sell your used games on Amazon or eBay. I've done this with my kids games they tired of and make 2 to 3 times the amount (sometimes more) that Gamestop offers for the same game.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a gamer, but my nephews are. I do know that they sells their games to Game Stop. I don't think they sell them very often though. Unfortunately, they are young and impatient. I doubt that will try to sell them on ebay or even Craigslist, but I will talk to them about it.

5. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly, just wait until someone Is interested in buying your game, instead. That way you can say to them "how much is gamestop selling it for"? "I'll sell it to you for a liitle less than them" That's getting you much more for the game than gamestop would be offering you. A win win for you and your customer. ;)

6. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    We trade our games in there but only because it gives us enough credit to buy some other used games they have for sale there. I think I am going to see how much the pawn shop up the street would pay for them, they may actually give a better price! What I thought was funny with Game Stop is that they don't take regular XBox games and they didn't take most PS2 games, but yet you can trade in your PS2 for I think $25. We opted to keep our PS2s (we have 3) but may go back and go for the low price just because we still have them with no use for 3 of them.

7. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:
    I figured by now it was common knowledge to not sell your games to Gamestop. They are rip off professionals to the max. They buy the game you purchased for $60 off you for like $15 or less, then they'll go and sell that same used game for $50-$55 dollars.

8. koko

kokoBanned

Threads:
    I sell all my used games on Amazon and Ebay, or use them as "gifts" for my nieces and nephews who want the games but mom and dad really can't afford them. I've even used them as barter on Craigslist, so you may want to look into that if it is a wildly popular game.

9. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    I traded some old games I wasn't playing anyways and got the Spiderman for $12, played it and sold it on ebay for $50. If the game is newer than I would go to Ebay to sell it. If it's older I just trade them in. Black Ops is worthless, there are a zillion of them out there and a new version of COD plus a new Black Ops on the way. I kept my copy but will probably never play it again.

10. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I agree eBay or Craigslist is the way to go when I want to sell games. I don't like to deal with Gamestop because they rip you off. I sold a brand new game that I paid $60 for and I finished it in a week. I sold it to Gamestop and they gave me $20. I looked at the clerk like she was crazy, and I told them never mind I don't want to sell it anymore. I sold it on Craigslist for $40, so everything worked out for me.

11. Fashionista

FashionistaNew Member

Threads:
    I live in Canada and I’m pretty sure we’ve got to a have a GamesStop somewhere here but I haven’t come across one yet. We have EB Games and a bunch of smaller game stores (most of them privately owned). I know that EB Games doesn’t give the best prices for used games (hardly ever more than 15 dollars) but that’s only if you want cash. I know you can get more if you get paid in store credit. You can also get a lot more if you have this “Edge Card” thing (you can get it when you order a subscription to “the game informer”). My cousin’s have it and they get a decent price for their games. However, you’re still much better off selling it on kijiji.com or to one of the privately owned game stores.

12. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely good advice not to use GameStop. It really is a ripoff. I always use eBay. It is so easy to use and I can always sell my electronics for more on there. :)

13. dreyz

dreyzMember

Threads:
    I never really tried selling my games, even the old ones. I just keep them because I didn't know who to sell it to. Mane of my games are old and I doubt that people would want to buy them.

Nevertheless, I would take some of the advice above and avoid GameStop, and instead go to eBay or Craiglist.

Have you tried Offgamers? I usually buy my gaming needs there, and I never really went to check out their "Sell" feature.

14. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Well, not to defend GameStop, but if they sold 100 copies of a game on Tuesday for $60, how much sense would it make for them to buy them back at $40 on Wednesday? They'd eventually go out of business and they are a business. The profit margin on games and music have always been historically low, that's why they do sell used games as that is where the money is.

Of course, you'll have a better chance with an individual or a pawn shop as they aren't going to buy 100 copies. If they were, they'd lower their payout also.

15. Meow

MeowMember

Threads:
    I'd suggest trading them in online through a site like eBay instead of Gamestop.

Even the store credit you receive for them is absurdly low compared to the products worth. From experience it's usually a tenth of even fifteenth of what they sell it back for.

Also the average selling price of a used PS2 is $35 which goes as high as $60 if it's a PS2 Slim. Just goes to show even with the bigger items they pay as little as they can get away with.

eBay link for PS2s is

16. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    I will not ever sell my games to GameStop, and in fact, I will check any other avenue before I use GameStop as a place to purchase anything game related. I've not liked them for a really long time.

17. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I've never tried selling my games at Gamestop. I know people that work there and they've always warned me against selling my games there because you'll get a really bad deal and there are even times when they won't even buy your game. Like some others mentioned, it's probably better to sell the game on ebay or even trade it on one of those swapping sites.

18. trident252

trident252Member

Threads:
    I sold some old games there a few years ago and I still feel like I got ripped off. It's not like I was expecting a lot but it seemed that they were looking to give me the lowest price imaginable. Since then I have learned that eBay is a better alternative.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always sold my games on Amazon or eBay. Sometimes I've traded them on swap sites for a game of equal value. Heck, I would rather give a game as a gift to a kid or donate it to Goodwill than trade it in at Gamestop for an insulting amount of money so they can charge $20-$40 for it. For example, Gamestop once offered me $4 for Red Dead Redemption for PS3. That is ridiculous for an award winning game that is still popular and desirable.

20. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I have also noticed that you get practically nothing for your used games there, even if they're in excellent condition. I've made much more by selling mine on Ebay. I've considered selling on Amazon before, but I'm not sure of the costs associated with it. If they're cheaper than selling on Ebay I may make the jump to Amazon since I do all my shopping on their site anyway!