GameStop - Don't sell your games!

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by toughtrasher • Jul 19, 2012.

1. hicksa94

hicksa94New Member

Threads:
    I think it all depends on the game your trying to sell. I personally have sold back a number of games, and got great prices on some of them! A few months ago, I sold back MW3 for my xbox, and they gave me about $30 for it, considering I payed $60, getting half back was a pretty good deal!

2. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    You really don't read and comprehend things do you? You pick out one line and then pounce it like you have an idea that you know what you are saying. They bought out all their competition...those other companies could and were competing with them. Major corporations don't go out and buy companies that don't pose a threat to them. You have zero business acumen so don't even play like you know a thing or two because you just make yourself look silly.

3. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Just like Microsoft bought up all of their competition. And Vince McMahon's WWE bought up all of their competition. Even this countries two party system operates the same way. People run third or fourth party. And when they continue to go unnoticed, they are eventually bought up to go out and promote the democratic or Republican causes. Depending on which side they lean towards most.

4. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    A man with some sense of how the world works; thanks for the back up but I am sure he/she will have something "smart" to come back with. So until then...

5. neovlad

neovladMember

Threads:
    Yeah but they are a business even though they are kind of ripping us off. It is the fastest way to sell your games and get cash what else can you do sell it on eBay and get a whole load of fees.

6. Snrm

SnrmActive Member

Threads:
    I have only traded in my games to gamestop once in my life and that was because I had very little money and I really wanted Assassin's Creed Brotherhood so I traded in all of my old PS2 games to get the $60. After just a week of playing Brotherhood I DEEPLY regretted giving all of my old favorites for such a measly price.

7. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    How many games did you trade in exactly? Do you remember the number? Not surprised you only got $60 bucks. I've traded in game consoles! Actual consoles and got small amounts of chump change. Again I wasn't expecting full retail but seriously, throw me a frikkin bone!

8. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    And I have never heard of Stubbs the Zombie - how many have? If you sold them a new, but fairly unpopular or generally low-profile game how do you expect them to move if even if it is "New"? Seriously, there may well have ended up taking a loss on that game considering you got it for free and still didn't want to play the stupid thing.

9. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    You're correct - a popular game sold back within a couple of months will generally net you a nice bit of change. A lot of the cries of rip-off come from folks trying to sell either less popular games or games that are so old there is very little customer base for them. I can't fault Gamestop for that because quite frankly I wouldn't be eager to payout big for what will surely be a small return.

10. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    The Exchange does the same thing. There were some games were only offered $1 for when they were selling it for $25.

I think if anyone wants to sell their used games and actually get a decent amount of money for it, ebay is the way to go.

11. Meow

MeowMember

Threads:
    To be fair it's more like weeks.

Also to the people saying it's easy to compete; I live in a city where there are NUMEROUS businesses that have tried. All of them either end up selling the shop or end up as small, elitist game shops with no chance at competing. Word of mouth is not always the best advertising method.

12. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen many businesses try and fail here as well. I think the problem is that they are a startup with no way to make themselves stand out. Whatever else you can say for Gamestop they generally have good customer service (if the store isn't packed) and the shelves are filled with many types of games - used or new. They have a website, they are linked to Game Informer and Kongregate, and they have two or three shops in my little town nevermind a big city. I mean how do you really fight that as a little newbie on the block?

13. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    The only way a new video game shop would be able to actually compete with Gamestop is if they're sponsored or backed by Sony, or Nintendo of America. Or Microsoft or something. Other than that, Gamestop will probably own the gamer store market for a long time. As for my "Stubbs The Zombie" game. Like I think I said in an earlier post, I have or had no idea whether the game was popular or not. All I knew was it was brand new in my hand thanks to a promotion. So, I just based what I should've gotten on the fact that it was a new "get".

14. mrpotatohead

mrpotatoheadNew Member

Threads:
    It's much better for people who would like to sell their old videogames to just sell them on eBay. You can sell them at the same or slightly lower price than Gamestop and people will buy it. It makes more sense for all involved to deal consumer to consumer rather than through the glorified middleman that GameStop is. Don't get me wrong, as a store for new videogames and accessories, GameStop are great and are a great looking store and generally have very helpful employees, as well. It's just that with the internet, they are just unnecessary when it comes to used games.

15. toughtrasher

toughtrasherNew Member

Threads:
    Sorry for not being here, guys. I was taking a break from the internet to cool off and here I am!
    Thanks for all the replies, I've read a lot of them and can completely agree.

Sell videogames on Amazon, eBay, or to your friends!

16. inb4

inb4Member

Threads:
    I read this method that you could try to apply on Reddit when you're at GameStop.

You know how GS buys back new games (on their release week) for maybe $30-40 dollars? You could try camping outside of GS's doors and buy the games for $5-10 dollars more from other people who were about to sell their game(s) to GS.

P.S.: Gamestop just sucks, I love Steam tho <3

17. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    Funny, my little brother just sold 15 games and only got $13. Then again he may have very well gotten ripped off since he went by himself and he is a teenager so I don't think this exchange was very valid but however it still seems like many people complain about the trade in value at Game Stop Stores.

18. melissa

melissaMember

Threads:
    EB Games here in Canada is the same. I tried to sell my old 3DS yesterday since I bought the new one and they were only going to offer me $30 for it...no scrathces since its always been in a case with a screen protector and I had the box. now thats a 2 year old system. I can only imagine what they give for games.

19. toughtrasher

toughtrasherNew Member

Threads:
    I love Steam too! Although I don't like that you can't return unused games that are already in your game library! Trading system is great too.

I don't think they rip people off based on who they are, but that's just my opinion. I went to Gamestop one time with my mom to sell some old PS2 games and I got like $15 for around 10 games that weren't even a year or so old.

20. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    I agree, you never get a decent amount back when selling games at Gamespot. The one exception may be if the game was just released and rarely or never played. But then you could just probably return it for your full refund anyway.