GameStop - Don't sell your games!

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by toughtrasher • Jul 19, 2012.

1. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    Just for the reocrd, I have heard of Stubbs the Zombie and I really enjoy it! Also, Gamestop is always going to give you a low price for your games but that's still better than what their "competitors" would give you or how much you'd make selling them at a flea market.

2. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I have also learned not to sell my games at gamestop. We just buy and trade among friends. The people I play with often usualy have games I want to play and I sell them mine at a discount. I still make more than I would at gamestop. I usualy just buy used games anyway. I am too cheap to buy games at new prices. I now have a large collection of used games. I find that when I get bored I go back and play the older ones.

3. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Flea markets aren't designed for people who wanna make money unless you're selling a ton of stuff. Stuff that people will pay over head for considering it's nostalgic or just odd and weird in a good kind of way. You'll never make a killing on most things at a flea market though. Especially video games. Maybe a Nintendo console that is in mint condition. You can always find a buyer for a classic, working Nintendo game system from the old days.

4. Meow

MeowMember

Threads:
    Pretty much.

I mean, despite the trade-in prices it's still an extremely professional and well run business. I love shopping there, just not trading. They're also - from what I've heard - pretty much a top notch job for students if you can land one: good hours, decent enough discounts, easy workload, etc.

They have a well deserved stranglehold on the market and "beating them out" isn't going to be a case of paying more for used games. In fact I'm honestly a little baffled anyone could think it would be that easy...

5. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    My son sells his games on Gamestop using his rewards card. He makes a little more money using this card than those that don't have a rewards card. I do have to agree with you though. You can make more money selling your games on ebay. My son does sell some of his games and game units on ebay too. He just got done selling his Kinect game unit on ebay and did pretty well with it.

6. Smokey

SmokeyNew Member

Threads:
    I sold about 150-200 games recently and only made about $350 in store credit. Plus I had 2 consoles thrown in there too. I mean it was enough for me since I needed to clear out space but I would've liked to have gotten more. Now I have roughly 10 games i'm looking to get rid of, I might put them up on ebay.

7. Mama2three

Mama2threeMember

Threads:
    My husband uses GameStop to buy and has sold to them in the past. I was shocked when he told me he had to sell 3 used games to them, and still had to pay a little extra to buy a new used on. Since then, we always try to sell used games on eBay or Amazon, and only use GS as a last resort.

8. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    That's because they're focus is on getting paid more for used games. So they focus on that aspect without taking into account all the other things that go into a successful business - like having a good staff that knows how to push games. Or having so many rewards for pre-ordering a game or being able to trade in to get something like a new tablet or whatever. Gamestop really does put a lot of effort into their business model, even if they will totally jack you on buying back used games.

9. kalasin

kalasinMember

Threads:
    I can't begrudge a business for wanting to make a profit. I also hate clutter and hanging on to things we don't use anymore. I have found that financially it works out best to donate our games to Goodwill and take the tax receipt. I'm hoping that my donations make for a nice Christmas/birthday for a family that couldn't otherwise do so (and hoping that it's NOT people who hunt and eBay, but I accept that you never know). It's just much less of a hassle and it works for us.

10. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Some games are too old to donate to good will though. No one will take them. Also there are those niche games. Games that 85% of gamers think suck or aren't worth playing. Or aren't entertaining enough, lame graphics, etc. But there's 10 to 15 percent of gamers who like said game. A game that contained within a niche or small cult following, will never really be adopted through a donations program.

11. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    My experience with selling games has been a positive one - although I am here in the UK, my sons sell their games to a store called GameStation. They always receive a fair price for good games and you also have the chance to earn points to spend in their store. We do (or did) have a shop called Game, which sounds very much like the Gamestop you are referring too, their buy/trade prices were ridiculous.

12. kalasin

kalasinMember

Threads:
    Maybe this depends on the Goodwill? My recently took a bunch of crappy NES games and a PS2 game with most of the label rubbed off.

13. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Not sure how much of a market there is for old Playstations. But for Nintendo there's a huge market. It depends on what games you have for the system also. If you have an old Nintendo console and some good games for it like "Super Mario Brothers" or "Zelda", you can make a pretty penny.

14. kalasin

kalasinMember

Threads:
    Has anyone sold games on Craigslist? I was listing some DVDs on there this morning and I started to wonder about games. Of course, Craigslist can be notoriously flaky (well the people anyway). Sometimes it is more of a hassle than you want to deal with.

15. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    As with any place that is going to turn around and re-sell your item, they are going to buy for cheap. I also find this when selling my kids clothes to consignment stores. They will take a huge bin and offer around $30.00 and then turn around and probably make a good $100.00 profit if not more. I don't bring my things to places like that anymore. Facebook actually has tons of local 'groups' you can use to sell things. I am an admin on one that is kid related and it is fantastic. I get way better prices for my own things and find some really great deals as well!

16. redskyez

redskyezNew Member

Threads:
    At EB Games (Canadian equivalent) I once tried to return various games that they had on the shelves for $20-$40. In some cases they offered me one dollar for a $30 game! I think it's a much better idea to sell them through online classifieds or eBay. You'll get much more fair deals

17. StevenGlansberg

StevenGlansbergNew Member

Threads:
    Yeah it would be a much smarter financially to sell your used games yourself. I remember i had bout a Ninja Turtles game for the Gamecube a long time ago. I Beat it within two days and asked to return it, they offered me $10 and it cost me $40 new, what a rip-off.

18. redskyez

redskyezNew Member

Threads:
    I agree their trade in is a rip off but it's the backbone of the companyy

19. kristyleann

kristyleannMember

Threads:
    I'm not a gamer but I've dated a lot of them and yeah, GameStop doesn't pay very well for games. In fact, if I remember correctly a while back there was a commercial making fun of that. I think it was a commercial for Game Fly (that service that's like Netflix for games) and they had people trying to sell games back and the store staff were like "We'll give you 9 bucks." or "We can give you a coupon." lol

20. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Meh, you also need to take into account how many copies they have. If they already have 50 used copies of Game X in the back, why would they pay you more, if they don't know whether or not they can even sell it?