Gamestop: Slowest Store in the World?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by MikeyPaine • Oct 4, 2013.

1. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know how many people here playing video games, or have children/grand children etc. that play video games, but the largest retailer in the US for games is easily Gamestop. A lot of gamers dislike Gamestop for various reasons, but I don't agree with most of their points.

I like Gamestop, however, it's biggest flaw is it antiquated check out system. First they have to find the game (the cases on the wall are empty), then ask if you want to pre order anything (bordering on pushy sometimes), then if you want to get insurance on the game and then you're done. They do this for each and every person, and it can slow down a line quite a bit.

Lord help you if you get stuck behind someone trading in games. The process takes forever, especially if there is only one employe on the registers (which seems to happen to me semi-frequently).

Am I the only one?

I realize there is another topic on Gamestop, but it hasn't been active for over a year and seems to be talking about a different aspect.

2. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I am a big fan of Gamestop. I don't think they move to slow, I just think they are slower than the average store. Although I enjoy purchasing with them, because of all they have to offer.

3. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Well, this is a tough one. I have found they are exceptionally slow but I can understand why that is. A lot of the interactions at the checkout seem to be concerning people and their problems with items purchased or trading in things. I would like it if they would have a separate area for those situations. That would help. I'm not sure they'll be doing anything about offering the insurance or attempting to up sell. That is something they seem to need to do as a business.

4. Exsheel

ExsheelNew Member

Threads:
    It's amazing how much money stores like Wal-mart and Best Buy lose every month solely from their video game section getting stolen from. It's incredibly smart for them to keep the games on display only. However, I don't feel that it moves "slow" and generally it's a very relaxed pace. Unless it's during a midnight launch or the day after a huge release, Gamestop is almost always kind of dead. It's not somewhere one goes for a super speedy trip. I actually enjoy the pace at which checkout takes because they are more customer friendly, actually asking you things and making sure you understand what you're buying/missing on promotions and things like that instead of just trying to get you out the door. As for trade-ins, unless the person has 20 or more items, it doesn't take long at all. I just feel you're a bit of an impatient person, really.

However, the getting stuck with one cashier at a time is very common. Gamestop only prioritizes based on releases and sales. So if there's nothing big happening that week, only one employee will usually be manning the cashier for most of the day.

5. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with exsheel. I also feel like the representatives at least try to be quick, as they know the process takes longer than most other stores. Again though, you cant keep games on the wall. people WILL steal. The upsellers are doing their jobs. If you like buying your games without being upsold or talked to, maybe you should start buying them online...

6. Lady350

Lady350Member

Threads:
    I love Game Stop and so do my boys, including my husband, LOL. I like the warranty they offer and honor. I also like the price of the items I purchase there. I like pre-ordering games so that I have a guaranteed item versus waiting until one is in stock. What I don't like is the trade in values of the items you want to trade. I paid $300 for my android tablet and they want to give me $30-$75 for it. I was offended because it was like a pawn shop price. I want to buy a newer one and this is not a good discount.

7. momma2_4bratz

momma2_4bratzNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with Lady350 my son loves gamestop and that is usually the store he wants to go to when he has earned his 20 dollar prize after he has filled up his school chart. I love the fact that you can buy used games that are guaranteed to work for a discounted price. Then there is the option of insuring your game for 12 months for a few dollars depending on the price of the game. I have 4 kids and two of them are toddlers and try as I might they have gotten a hold of those discs and dropped them on the hardwood floors and slide them around trying to pick them up, or dropping them behind the heater so I always pay the extra couple bucks for any game I buy there. I would rather spend the 2 or 3 dollars then lose a 50 dollar game that I could have gotten replaced. I will say though that I do understand that sometimes checkout can be a little slow when some one decides to do the reward card, or exchanging games but its not really that big of a deal. Still worth going there.

8. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    And this is one (out of many) of the reasons I just stick with Amazon when it comes to buying video games. I've had enough bad experiences with GameStop to just make me not want to buy from them anymore. Among the many reasons would be rude personnel and a couple of my pre-orders didn't make it through (even though I pad the down payment and all that).

9. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Going to GameStop to purchase a game is all great and dandy. Though, the number one rule is to never ever sell any game to them. I went to sell a old PS2 that I had and they offered me $5 for it. I could go on eBay and sell the console for a easy $50 at the time.

10. Uranus

UranusNew Member

Threads:
    I've never bought from Gamestop, but from looking at their website, and lack of local stores, I wouldn't want too. I prefer buying digitally or going to some sort of super-market such as Tesco.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You guys are kind of in a minority. Gamestop is a company that's mostly hated by gamers. When it was announced recently that they are closing 120 stores, a lot of people rejoiced.
    Someone on Facebook joked "120 stores? That'll be $7 in store credit, I won't give you more."
    Gamestop will offer you $3 store credit for a PS3 game like Red Dead Redemption, yet they sell dirty, scratched used games with no cover or manual for $26.
    Why would I pay $26 for a dirty game disc with no cover when I can get the same game complete and in mint condition on Amazon for $16?
    I used to love Gamestop in 2002-2003, before I knew better. Once I started buying games on Amazon, I haven't looked back.