Garage sales anyone?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Court_Dhey • May 11, 2012.

1. Court_Dhey

Court_DheyNew Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure how everyone feels about used clothing, but I've met people who think used things are gross as well as those who don't mind it. Personally, I don't mind used clothing because they're easily cleaned after a quick wash. Going to garage sales is one way that I save a vast amount of money each year. My entire families wardrobe consists of clothing that I found at garage sales for under $2 a piece, with my 1 year old sons clothing being around 50 cents a piece.

Besides the amount I save, buying clothes from sales allows me to use my creativity when putting an outfit together. If you haven't gone to one before and you don't mind used clothing, then definitely go sometime on the weekend. Many people post their impending sales on craigslist or have signs posted giving directions to their sale.

2. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I love buying on garage sale. You will actually be surprised on some items that you can find there that haven't been used by the owner. I bought this one top from a garage sale near our neighbor that even has a price tag on it. I think the key to find some treasures on garage sales is the keenness of your eyes!

3. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I have no problems with shopping at garage sales. I think that it is an excellent way to save money. I have bought all of my granddaughter's toys, her crib, as well as other infant/toddler items. I have also bought most of her clothes at garage sales. I usually have a garage sale every Memorial Day weekend. I sell quite a few clothes at my garage sales.

4. Court_Dhey

Court_DheyNew Member

Threads:
    I couldn't agree more, the keenness of your eyes are definitely a huge factor in finding treasures. Have you ever watched "Antiques Road Show"? There are always people on that show claiming that they bought a work of art for a few bucks, and they end up getting it appraised for thousands of dollars. Whenever I go to garage sales, I look for art and hope that I can recognize a valuable one.

5. Court_Dhey

Court_DheyNew Member

Threads:
    Definitely the best place to find children's clothes, especially for infants. At the rate that they grow, it would cost a fortune to buy all their clothes brand new. There were even a few new outfits, that were given as gifts, that my son didn't get a chance to wear.

Wow, having a garage sale on memorial day weekend is a good idea because everyone is off of work and you could even have one on Monday. I've had a few before but I've never thought to use a 3 day weekend as an advantage.

6. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    I love both going to and having garage sales. In fact I have been planning one for the last 3 weeks but weather and other events have prevented me from actually having it. Maybe I will wait a few more weeks until Memorial day weekend, that a great idea!

7. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I developed my love of yard/garage sales from my dad. Ever since I was a child he'd take me with him to go hunt for yard sales on the weekends. I don't get a chance to do it as much now but I still love going with him to yard/garage sales. You can find so many things for good deals (especially if you're good at haggling over prices). I don't mind buying used clothes because like mentioned, they can be washed and cleaned. And most of the time no one is going to know you got them from a garage sale anyway.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I'm a huge yard sale junkie. I absolutely love buying clothes from them. On the 'gross' side of things, I don't buy used underwear, but anything else is fair game. Once it's run through the washer and dryer, who cares? Most people make it a point to make their clothes look clean in the first place anyway, so I wouldn't buy anything with stains, etc. I can completely restock my wardrobe in the same amount of money I'd buy a new pair of jeans at full price at a store.

9. christina_5179

christina_5179New Member

Threads:
    I love garage sales! My mom has owned three thrift stores so I've always been involved in them. I think they're an awesome idea and don't know why anyone would pass up such great savings. Garage sales will save a ton of money on a new wardrobe or revamping a house. I recently bought a ton of decor from one and revamped them with spray paint. They came out awesome and looked brand new. There's tons of money to be saved when shopping thrifty!

10. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    Not sure if I would do it for clothes, but I have bought other stuff from garage sales.

You can always find good value for things, if you have a keen eye. Sometimes, even if you don't have a keen eye, the bargains are great and you find some real gems.

11. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    In the UK and Spain, we have car boot sales. It's rare to find sales in people's homes, although they do have them. When we were downsizing, I spent about 6 months selling at car boot sales, with the more valuable items going to an auction house or being sold on Ebay. We've had our home in Spain for 4 years now, so I'm starting to accumulate excess stuff. I've had 3 car boot sales so far, and will be doing another one on Sunday. It's a good way to get rid of your stuff, earn a few bucks and have a good time.

I also buy from car boot sales, and I have had some real bargains. Many of the clothes I've bought have come from boot sales, and when I'm fed up with something, I sell it on again.

12. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    How exactly does that work, Sandra? Are there designated areas for people to line up their cars then and it's more like a flea market....but out of trunks/boots? Its seems like that would be a really easy way to get a lot of traffic to your sale because it's all in one place, right?

13. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I love garage sales. As for the clothing, it just depends on the home and people I'm buying it from. That sounds kind of snotty, but if it's something that has been taken care of from a clean place, I will wear it. I have decorated my whole house in garage sale stuff, though, and I get comments that it looks like a Southern Living magazine spread, so I'm a believer! ;-)

14. zeus02

zeus02Member

Threads:

Here in the Philippines we have pretty much the same thing and call it Ukay,since you have to dig thru the bunch of clothes and items that are for sale on a relatively low price,you can actually find a branded or designer shirt for under $2.

I do love garage sales as well. But not really for clothes.

15. racechick79

racechick79Active Member

Threads:
    I use garage sales in person, and now, online. We have something called "Buy and Sell" on Facebook for our local area. You can post pictures of things you want to sell and then other people can buy it. Then you figure out a place to meet - like a grocery stores or something central for the two of you and "exchange the goods". It is nice because with two small kids it is not always convenient to take them out and about. I would recommend it for anybody that has one in their area - and if not - be the first one to start it! You won't be disappointed!

16. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind the clothes because most people have enough diginity and decency to do right with others about that. What I really love and care about is the old music and games (video) you can pick up for a great price. Another thing I love is going about trying to gather comics which can usually be gathered up by the bushel depending on if it's something the kids left at home when they moved out. Really I should go yard sales more often myself, but I find it easier to drop off all the gently used things at the Goodwill intake or the House of Mercy and drop the rest off at the tip.

17. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    I love hosting garage sales becouse it is so fun. The trick to them is that you always put a reasonably.The high price on the products (not the price you bought them for but like 1/2 of that) because people will go there and bargain for them. So If you put a low price on them you will probably sell it for even lower.

18. Jailynnsgrandma

JailynnsgrandmaMember

Threads:
    I like going to garage sales. I do not usually buy clothing but I have bought other items. I like having garage sales also. Except when it is time to clean up, I do not enjoy packing them up. I had one a couple of weeks ago and was surprised by how many people showed up. One problem that I have is pricing. I am not good at determining the prices.

19. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    I love going to garage sales. I don't mind used clothing but I won't buy used underwear from them. I love how you can find other neat items such as toys, purses, and little knick knacks.