Garden Solar Lamps

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Corzhens • May 18, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have seen so many models of garden solar lamps in the Home Depot here. The small ones to be planted in the garden (with a pointed bottom) costs less than $10. However, when I asked the store attendant of the warranty, they only give 1 month. She had admitted that they have been receiving so many complaints because the solar charger seems to fail and the battery goes dead.

The solar lamp is cute and economical if it is true to its claim. No electricity needed and you have an almost perpetual garden lights. Maybe in the years to come, that promise will come true.

2. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I've got some solar lights I got for about $1 each here and those were well worth it. One of them no longer works, but I put that down to my dog deciding it looked like a great new toy, rather than it being a dodgy light. They're useful if you have reason to be outside at night and need a little bit of light to see by. I use them to watch my dogs when they're outside at night since there have been some reports of dog-napping in my area lately. It's a deterrent for anyone wanting to try that if they can be seen too.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We bought some for around the same price and luckily ours hasn't broken yet even after a year of use. I find it was a good investment of money since they don't require much maintenance and they don't cost us anything in electricity. Also back when we didn't have garden lamps we just had to settle with darkness or just a tacky fluorescent light and now at least the light is more ambient which is a lot more pleasurable to look at. I'm planning on buying more but we don't have any more space to put them in.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe its different elsewhere - but having used outdoor solar lighting very successfully for well over twelve years now - which as I live in the middle of nowhere is a necessity - as without solar lighting I'd be in pitch black - I can't say that I've ever encountered or experienced any of the problems mentioned and definitely not the one regarding the warranty.

In fact as solar technology has come a long, long way over the past five to ten years - so much so - that not only is there now way more choice than there ever used to be - but as the new improved LED solar lighting works virtually anywhere ( including indoors ) and more importantly - is extremely effective, efficient and almost as good as mains power - that its now considered to be an excellent and very reliable alternative to electricity.

No doubt about it - if looking to cut costs its definitely the way to go - especially as - the overall savings in the long term are really quite substantial.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've bought some, but have never spent much money on them, and they have worked for a while, but then go dead. I think it's probably worth it to look around and read some reviews first, to make sure you're getting ones that will be as bright as you want, and last a good while, then spend a bit more to get some quality solar lights. I'd definitely consider LED solar lights if I knew they'd last for 5-10 years.

6. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Garden solar lamps are pretty convenient and worth the money spent. But you need to buy quality products and not ones with poor reputation. The photovoltaic cells should be top notch to provide high efficiency and of a good material. Of course most of them are based on silicon but there are another options out there,

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you are right. I suspect that there are good solar lamps for the garden depending on the quality. Or maybe the rechargeable batteries used were not that good. But nevertheless, my husband had already mentioned the planned renovation of our front yard garden and I was thinking of a good decoration. So I would have to include those cute garden solar lamps.

8. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Solar lamps come in all sizes and price ranges. You can get small ones at the dollar store for a dollar that are perfectly functional, or those from other stores that are a bit more elaborate and you pay more money for. It is up to you as to how much you want to pay, and how you want to use them. I have a couple that look like Japanese lanterns as well as some that light up at night just for general visual purposes. If you want a lot of them...getting the more economical ones is probably the way to go.

9. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I first bought garden solar lights at a flea market to see if I would like them. They were of good quality having a glass base. They worked well through the fall an died out. That's when I found out that the batteries were rechargeable not only by the sun but by a charger as well. Some would argue the expense of recharging the batteries probably wouldn't be worth it but I would beg to differ. I did recharge them again and again until the batteries no longer were charged by the sun or the charger. They are good investments to save in outdoor lighting for general visual purposes as @Ke Gordon@Ke Gordon mentioned.

10. Stacy Design

Stacy DesignNew Member

Threads:
    I am still not using solar lamp. But I am now using stage LED light in my Garden. Because I like that light with beautiful bump. That's really great. Last month, I buy this "TOMTOP 86 RGB LED Light US Plug AC 90-240V" for just $9 with coupon code. I think the price competitive and its light amazing me.