Gardeners : do you ever feel your vegetables are laughing at you?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by burdianex • May 23, 2013.

1. burdianex

burdianexNew Member

Threads:
    Recent research has shown that vegetables have a sense of humour - especially the horseradish.

2. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    LOL, never thought so. But, I would appreciate a link to what you are talking about here.. Veggies having a sense of humor.. I do know that they are pretty sensitive and do respond well to gentle music and loving words.

3. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    No, can't say I do, though I haven't really done much with vegetable growing, but I imagine that a lot of people feel that garden pests are laughing at them. My mom spends quite a bit of time every morning pulling those green tomato hornworms off her plants. We counted over one dozen the other day and that was just off of one container (they are in large tubs).

4. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    I think my vegetables plants might laugh at me when I do silly stuff.
    For example :
    Have you ever attempted to pull a fruit off your plant and accidentally pulled off the whole steam?
    Have you ever though your plant was dead and decided to planted a new plant in the pot? After the new plant spouts, the Ailing plant recovers and now one of the plants has to be removed?
    Have you ever been stabbed or pricked by a okra plant?

I guess that is veggie humor.

5. Katewon1

Katewon1Member

Threads:
    I don't think that the vegetables are laughing at me, but I do think all the rabbits and squirrels are! Without fail, something will finally start growing and just before it's ready to pick, it gets eaten by some little creature. Jerks!

6. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Time to take the schizophrenic pills if that ever happens. I never had that feeling, just the feel that i wasn't that good of a gardener and that i should quit, but plants laughing at me would be something entirely different.

7. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Had to laugh when I saw this thread...never thought that they were laughing at me, but yelling for attention, yes!
    I have heard of these studies and it is quite surprising that some of them have shown that plants do have emotions. This is one for the Mythbusters! I would love to have them look into this one and determine whether plants have feelings or not.

8. Tribie

TribieMember

Threads:
    Oh they laugh at me all the time because I am always so desperate to make them grow and sprout veggies but they never do. My grandfather had a green thumb and so does my mother. I think I don't because I do like plants but they don't like me. I have mostly veggies in my garden. I do have flowers too but they won't help me when there's nothing to cook :)

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Exactly. I think garden pests have a lot of fun at my expense because I get pretty angry when I find my plants chewed up.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Or maybe it's the water in them! I recently saw this doc on water and one of the studies they did showed water to have "feelings" or at least memory. They even showed different people, each saying something different to a drop of water; the scientist would flash freeze the water at the same time. The drops of water that "heard" encouraging or caring words, turn into these snowflake-like patterns. The ones that "heard" hateful words looked more splattered and chaotic. In the same movie, they saw better, healthier crops with water friendly methods (can't recall the methods) and they even used LESS water, the crops with regular methods were mediocre. It was very interesting. My first thought was how people have always believed speaking to their plants makes them grow healthier, but now I'm thinking, maybe it's the water running through them.

11. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I have never thought so or felt so. I do think plants might have feeling or emotions, and I do "talk" to them sometimes. I just feel they are smiling at me or greeting me, but never thought they would laugh at me. I always imagine we are "friends", and we stay under the same roof.

The research is quite interesting. I would like to find out more about it. :)

12. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    What is the link? I seriously doubt that. I do know they seem to "hear" us if we talk to them and they seem to understand what we are trying to say to them, like encouraging them to grow.

13. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think vegetables do laugh at us,but I really cannot understand what they are saying when they talk to us(haha)? I guess they do communicate with the funny ways that they look sometimes though-like when they become wilted from not enough water or they don't have enough nutrients in their soil. Ok here is a joke, knock,knock-who's there? lettuce- lettuce who? lettuce in and you'll find out !

#13Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  14. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I smile when I see the vegetables that are growing well and bearing the fruit. For instance, I smile when I see a red tomato haning from the stem. I smile because my labor has been paid, I smile because the wating has ended, however, my vegetables never smile back at me.