Gas Or Electric Burners?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Kaushik Angara • Dec 9, 2016.

1. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    Cooking has undergone a number of changes from the prehistoric age to the present modern age. In the olden times, people living in the wild used to eat raw meat. The idea of "cooking" food only began after the invention of fire. Now, a lot of innovations have been made in the food industry and also in the way food is cooked. People are switching to electric burners from gas burners to cook food. Here in India, there are a lot of power cuts so people prefer to use the gas burners all the time.

What is your preferred way of cooking food? Do you still use the gas burners or have you transitioned to the modern electric burners? I feel that food cooked on gas burners tastes better and is also more nutritious. I would want to know which one's cheaper as I still haven't used the electric burners. Let me know your opinions on using the gas and the electric burners.

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the olden days before the LPG, cooking at home is either by firewood or kerosene stove. But the rich families have their electric stove. But now you can ask any mother and the unanimous answer will always be LPG. Admittedly LPG çooking is the most economical although the rich are still using electric.

3. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    I use gas for cooking, I find it cheap and convenient. When gas is expensive because prices fluctuate, I use kerosene stove, firewood or charcoal. I wouldn't even mention electricity because the bills incurred by the appliances am currently using are big enough.

4. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Gas cooking for me too. I have transitioned from charcoal, kerosene, primuses to electric stoves. I still think gas cooking is the best provided you know exactly how to cook so that you save your gas supply.

5. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    We have a gas stove and an induction cooker. Even though we have another oven too we rarely use it. Most of the times we use gas to cook and as you said induction cooker is faster and more convenient. But there is a general perception that induction cooking is very costly than gas cooking. But when I made a comparison of both ways of cooking in fact there is no major difference. If we use electricity it will be reflected in the bi-monthly bills or if we use gas we have to pay more for gas. There is not a big difference in price.

But we use induction cooker only during non-peak hours (10pm to 6am) so that electricity bill is kept at the minimum. But I can't feel any difference in the food tastes though.

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I have noticed here that using an electric burner is cheaper than gas ones. I own a small electric burner and seems as if the bill cost did not increase too much so I find it fine. With gas burners on the other hand I would have to buy a gas tank every month that will cost three times the cost I pay for the electricity.

7. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I use solar energy so I had been using electric stoves and electric ovens for a long time. I also use other electric cookers like Slow cookers and George Foreman grills because I don't worry about electric bills. I remember the amount of money I use to pay with my gas bills. The only negative about electric stoves is the lack of flame. It is hard to control the heat because electric stoves don't have flames. It took me a while to get how to control the heat accordingly.

8. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Both of them, gas and electric burners have advantages and disadvantages. As to quality, they both cost much. As to service, they could be doing well in all cooking needs. The problem may be laid on the source of power. Anytime the gas may be running out and in electric burner the same when the power goes out unnoticed. Therefore, it depends on their usability. I have using the electric rice cooker but later changed it to a two-burner gas stove. As to efficiency of cooking, time is more saved than that of rice cooker run by an electricity.

9. efrain silva

efrain silvaMember

Threads:
    I prefer electric burners over gas burners any day! In fact, there are just way too many benefits which electric appliances, in general, have. First of all, there is little to no room for accidental risk and explosion. Electric burners take care of this. They are also cheaper as a whole.

10. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    We always use gas at home and electric stove never became an option since it's power hungry. When I was a kid, my mother normally used electric stove that's why our electric bills are too high. When she started using gas stove that was the time we have lower electric bills. She then only use our electric stove in emergency cases like when our gas ran out.

11. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to use LPG for cooking because it is way cheaper than using an electric stove. The cost of electricity has gone up considerably in my country in recent years. In the past, we used to be able to save on LPG by using the rice cooker to cook rice. The small rice cooker's wattage is only 500 watts and since we only use it for a half hour each day, it doesn't really incur that much electricity. However, its consumption adds up and causes our electricity usage to be charged the higher rate without the subsidy. Most electric gas stove uses at least 1000 watts so it was never my option for daily cooking.

12. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I use gas for cooking most of the time, it's quite easy for me to use and understand. The few times I tried electric burners it was like they take longer time to cook. I'm always careful not to get a shock when I use electric burners. I am more at rest with gas cookers and they cook my food faster.

13. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have both gas and electric ranges but I mostly use the gas burner because electricity is expensive here. Therefore, the electric stove is now parked like a car which is stored in a garage and it's now used only at intervals to keep it going in good order.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love electric stoves only. I grew up with gas stoves. We had also had a lunch wagon that had gas burners. It works fine, but I had experiences with gas that burnt my eye brows off, so I prefer electric stoves only. I turn off the breaker to save electricity so we save money. Just pull the breaker off, and we start saving money so electricity stoves only please.

15. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We use gas supplied by pipeline in both India and Australia but we have a good option of using electric for everything including cooking by electric cooker with induction, built in ovens, and dishwasher. However, what my wife feels that the Indian Chapati tastes better when cooked on a gas stove so we have opted for a gas fitted home..