Gearing Up For Black Friday?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by thisnthat • Nov 14, 2016.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Some sellers are announcing what they'll have featured during their Black Friday sales. Have you started making a list of things you want? Will you be attending these sales?

Do you prefer doing Black Friday deals in store or will you stick to the online options? I wonder if some stores will do both online BF and Cyber Monday.

I'm mostly going to be getting the online deals. The ones I want start earlier than the in store deals do anyway. I'll have a better chance of scoring the items that are listed as "while supplies last."

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I remember when I used to work on retail we sold our items from 20-70% off so it was always full and crazy during black friday. I have only attended one black friday my whole life but didn't really find anything worth losing sleep for. I think shopping online is a better option, no getting up early or dealing with rude people.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also have only attended one formal Black Friday event. My sister, mother and I used to do our shopping the day after Thanksgiving years ago, but I don't think it was called Black Friday then. We also would shop together the day after Christmas, and got some great deals.

I'm a bit put off after learning that manufacturers now make items specifically for Black Friday. They often use model numbers and names the same as or very close to their high end models, but these created for Black Friday are slightly inferior, with less bells and whistles or cheaper components, so they can sell them for lower prices. They might still be quality items, but the fact that they do this to trick customers puts me off. I don't care for manipulation, and would prefer they list them as specials for Black Friday with a few less features than the other models.

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I'm going to take advantage of many online sales. I don't usually take part in the in-store ones, but I guess I'm going to have to give in this year after all. This year, they have two really good offers, which I don't think I can pass up. We've been planning to buy a TV anyway, and the one we want is going to be about $200 off. That's a lot of money. The other is a reward for upgrading my phone, which I was going to do anyway. If I do it in store, I'll get a $250 gift card.

So, to save $450, I guess I'm going shopping.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm glad that companies are giving advance notice because people do need to budget and it means that people will choose to spend with them. There are a few companies I like and who do good deals, but stocks will be limited. Most are hourly deals so it can be stressful too, and I remember it was hard work to get some deals.

I also have a blog where I hope to list some offers, but if companies leave it too late, then it's hard to promote, so I think most would rather promote early than to announce the offers on the day.

6. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I am actually thinking about this Black Friday deals heard a lot of advert as never before on this particular occasion. I will be considering doing this deal in stores, better in a store that also promote the online deal. I hope to enjoy up to 70% off sales deal this Black Friday.

7. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have to agree with this thinking. It just makes sense to me to give people notice so they can plan ahead. I wouldn't have even bothered going to the stores if I hadn't been informed of certain opportunities in advance.

Good luck with your blog. It sounds like a helpful resource for holiday bargain shoppers. You might want to give Newegg a look as they tend to have some really good deals this time of year, and they usually post them in advance.

While some "surprise" sales will be okay (like special offers for Amazon Prime members that I can take advantage of from home), I still think it's better to announce their intentions. As you said, people have budgets.

8. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    The Black Friday sales are a relatively new phenomenon over here in the UK, but people have certainly been bitten by the bug. Recent reports suggest that around 2 million pound a minute is going to be spent but interestingly, research as showed from last year that half of the items bought on Black Friday, weren't actually any cheaper than they was priced at the day before so it looks like people are just jumping on the bandwagon so to speak.

I do have a look at the on-line sales on Black Friday but I don't go out of my way to save up and purchase specifically on that day. If I see an offer that's to good to be true then I will obviously buy it, but while some people just buy things for the sake of buying, I'm a bit more sensible when t comes to my bargain hunting.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've blown my budget between buying a new (to me) computer, the Kindle (used) and a few other things. I will have to wait until next month to shop the sales, unless I somehow come into a bit of money. My fingers are always crossed for that to happen.

I noticed that some stores are making it a point to say that they'll be closed for Thanksgiving, but Big Lots is one that will be open that day, as well as Dollar Tree. Big Lots is having a sale on furniture. In the past I wasn't sure how well put together their furniture would be, but a friend has some she bought there, and it's pretty comfortable and looks nice, so if you're on a budget and need furniture, check them out.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Black Friday week has started here in the UK and some sites and stores have offers all week, and some are keeping the same offers so no one misses out.

I haven't bought anything yet, because I know there will be some good offers on Thursday and Friday, so I will wait until then. Meanwhile, I am keeping an eye on emails, but also checking my favorite sites as often they add things and don't email you too, or late in the day.

11. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the Big Lots tip Diane Lane. I have decided I want to get a smaller wooden file cabinet and get rid of the black metal filing cabinet I have. It is taking up too much space, and the drawers are not well used. I don't have that much to file!