Gelato, Frozen Yogurt or Ice Cream for dessert?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by justusforus • Nov 19, 2013.

1. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    If you could only choose one of these, what would be your choice and please say why? I tried frozen yogurt for a while but the creaminess of ice cream and gelato brought me back.

2. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I'm an ice cream kind of guy. Chocolate fudge brownie always hits the spot!

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd probably always choose ice cream, but yogurt is pretty good too, especially after a very full meal. I think it helps with digestion, at least I feel like it does, or maybe it's just because it's a light dessert.

4. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I used to love ice cream, but now I love Gelato! It's my boyfriend and my favourite dessert to eat when we're out. I have a personal connection with it because we had it on our first unofficial "date" (I tricked him into meeting me at the mall). It's sweet and healthy at the same time and there are so many different flavours that can be made! I usually go for the super chocolaty ones because I'm a chocolate addict. :D

5. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    In my country there isn't a difference between ice cream and gelato, but I understand that the second option is much more creamy. If that's the main difference, I choose the artisanal gelato, this is one of my favorite desserts. Is there a special flavor? Of course: the dulce de leche gelato. Dulce de leche is a simple combination between milk and sugar, which after a long cooking time becomes a magical substance to our palate. I think it's too early in the morning to tempt me with these delicacies ... Summer is approaching and the gelato is in the order of the day.:p

6. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always loved ice cream. Frozen yogurt is ok but not the best. I loved the berry gelato but the company discontinued it. I've tried chocolate gelato at Olive Garden but it's not even close to as good as their meals.

7. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Love Gelato but in a world with no calories, I would have Haagen Dasz and Ben/Jerry's stocked in my freezer. The best gelato is the kind sold at specialty stores.

Obviously, I have a calorie consumption problem so I do yogurt when cutting back but I have to tell you, PinkBerry is worth every penny on a warm day and it sits for a few minutes.

8. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely choose ice cream for dessert because it's been my favorite ever since I was a child. I enjoy a wide variety of flavors but it can be hard for me to pick the one I like the best. I do really love chocolate chip cookie dough but I'm also into cookies and cream, vanilla, chocolate, strawberry cheesecake, and other flavors.

9. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Gelato is a really tasty and healthy alternative to ice cream, in my opinion the difference is minimal! I always opt for gelato now over ice cream where possible. I'm not a fan of frozen yoghurt though since it still retains some of that sour tang.

10. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I'm very health conscious, so I'd definitely choose frozen yogurt as my dessert option. It has a good amount of protein and less fat compared to ice cream. A much better option is Greek yogurt, which I'm obsessed with. It has higher protein and lower carbohydrates compared to regular yogurt.

It's delicious with honey, muesli, and other dried nuts and fruits.

11. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I am lactose intolerant so don't eat a lot of dairy. Don't get me wrong, I do like ice cream but it doesn't like me, so I usually stick to sherbert !

12. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I think I would go with ice cream. Although I have had some gelato that was so good I would be very tempted to say gelato. I know I do not even like frozen yogurt most of the time though. I like premium ice creams if I'm going to have a treat.

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't seem to choose. To be honest, I'm fine with whichever one. On a more practical note, gelato is more expensive and you can't just buy them in pints or plastic containers when you're in the third world. The more accessible desserts are ice cream and frozen yogurt. So when my means permit me to, I'm more apt to buy either of the two regardless of the weather.

14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hang on, I've always thought gelato was Italian for ice-cream?! I honestly thought the two were one and the same, the only difference being the Italians make the best ice-cream LOL? Oh well, I feel like saying all of the above, to answer your question. But if you held a gun to my head, then I'd have to go with gelato :) As you can tell, I really like them all though.

15. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    If I have the option of true Italian gelato made from pure ingredients and its house made, then Gelato all the way. However, that is not easy to find. I know of only one such place close to where I live and it is not easy to get out there always. So, good quality ice cream is my pick. I love my frozen deserts to be rich and creamy. Frozen yogurt does not fit that requirement.

16. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I am a huge fan of quality ice cream. However when you get real Italian gelato that is quite a refreshing dessert. I'm not a huge fan of frozen yogurt, not rich enough on the palette. I find if we are out I'll treat myself to good quality ice cream or gelator. At home I buy the good Hagen Daaz ice cream when it's on sale. I'll also look for ice cream made with real cream on sale as well. My kids love ice cream so it doesn't last long in the freezer.