Gender-based Toys

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Cilivren • May 29, 2015.

1. Cilivren

CilivrenMember

Threads:
    Most of toy stores have different sections for boys and girls. Toys for girls usually include dolls, cooking sets, doll houses. For boys there are cars, robots, superhero action figures. However, many children like to play with the toys that are generally considered for the opposite gender.
    My question is, what toys do your children prefer to play with and how do you choose toys for your children? Do you follow these stereotypes or do you just buy what your child asks for?

2. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I have a one year old son so he had never really asked me for a toy he likes. I just buy them for him.

When it comes to gender based toys, I think I bought one for him, the grocery cart and some cooking toys, lol! I just think cooking and grocery is not for girls anymore. And he is a kid, what does he know about gender stereotypes? Alll he wants is to play all day!

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think many kids can play with anything they can lay their hands on but there are some kids who'll not play with anything other than that which strikes their fancy. My niece for example wouldn't play with dolls or cars but she loved stuffed animals — they are unisex, right? Get her an action figure and she'd try to take it apart. But a stuffed teddy, she'd play with it all day long.

All kids are different, find out what they like and get them that or else you'll waste money on toys which the kids will never play with.