Generic Brand Vs The Popular One

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Jason76 • Nov 11, 2016.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Does anyone think generic brands are a rip-off. Well, for one thing, I heard a story where a friend of mine visited a potato chip factory. He noted the same chips were going into the generic brands as were going into the popular ones.

Nonetheless, I don't think that situation always is the case. In fact, sometimes I have seen that popular brands are better.

2. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I think it happens a lot more than people realize. It's even true of other stuff, like appliances. Some (lesser) companies have bought out others. They build the item but sell it under the more popular name.

Also, sometimes when the same company is making something like potato chips for different brands, they will use the best quality ones for the national brand and use the imperfect items for the generic (more broken chips or dark ones in the generic bag, etc).

I know someone who worked at a chicken plant. The best chicken went to recognized brands and the stuff that was mis-cut or slightly overcooked or even just didn't look as nice went to store brands and other lesser brands. So, it's often the same food, but maybe not the very best of the lot.

3. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I too agree with OP that popular brands are safe to use. Take the case of generic medicines for example. We have paracetamol tablets available in all medical stores but there is a huge price difference among various brands. Local manufacturers never give any importance to hygiene factors which can influence of the effectiveness of the medicine even though they are pretty cheap.

Branded companies are afraid of their image getting spoiled in case of a faulty product. They may lose their brand image which is the result of the long time reputation built in the market. So I think whenever possible it is better to go with popular brands at least in case of necessary items like medicine.

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    As noted, it may be the same product in a different package. It may be the "bottom of the barrel" so to speak, but it's still the same stuff. I don't think there is any such things with meds. They wouldn't be allowed to sell them like that.

More expensive or brand name doesn't always mean better. I've taken some generic meds that actually worked better. You should be able to tell by the ingredients. Check the active ingredients but also the inactive ones. The latter is where you will usually find the difference, if any.

5. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to like generic brand Cheetos than the popular one. One good example are the Granny Goose Blazin' Hot Cheese Nibbles. I find those to be twice as good as the popular brand. Some store-brand puffs or Cheeto-type snack taste a lot better than the popular brands. I've never had a generic brand snack taste the exact same as the popular brand.

6. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Now that you mention it, I think that this may be true of the Frito Lay products in general. I haven't had any off brands that taste just like the Doritos, Fritos, or Cheetos. Those particular snacks come to mind as being a one of a kind taste. Even the texture varies with other brands. I guess they don't participate in this kind of thing (I'm sure many brands don't, but I think more do than what most people are aware of).

7. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    With foodstuff, we always prefer the branded regardless if its expensive than generic. Branded foods are guaranteed in quality because they have a name to protect. With the generic, you have no idea how they are prepared and cooked. The local media have been making expose of dirty factories and unsanitary cooking of generic foodstuff.

8. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    The products, the produce that is sold in the market may be the same quality, the same ingredients, the same usefulness or utility. They only differ from the company that process them. Thus, we may have the generic product and the branded one. The branded one is said to be effective for it has fully advertised than that of the generic one. People are actually being conditioned to believe that the branded commodities are not only good but the better one. Nowadays, I settle for the generics even my family doctor is prescribing me meds in generic name.

9. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I like the puffs especially because the generic store brand is usually puffier and softer than the Cheeto brand. Some even taste cheesier and stick to your fingers more and it's good if you like that. Not to mention the huge difference in price and bag sizes.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I almost always buy the generic brand because it is cheaper. In the case of items like medicines, I compare the ingredients. If the generic has the same chemical make up, I buy it. There is a big savings in buying generic medicines typically. Some generic brands do not work as well as name brands,,,but I think I know the generic brands to stay away from.

11. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I think that's what it boils down to. You try various brands and generics to see which ones provide the best value for you. If they aren't good, don't buy them again. If they are, bonus. You have a new, cheaper, brand to use that saves you money while still meeting your needs.

Ha ha, I don't really need it to stick to my fingers. That will just reinforce the stereotype of people who like video games having Cheeto stained fingers. :p

The name brand cheese puffs aren't really as good or as cheesy as they used to be, so I can see how the generics could give them some competition.

12. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I like licking my fingers after a salty Cheeto snack. My fingers don't stay stained because I still wash my hands after licking them. I actually heard one that some Cheetos or Doritos were crafted so the cheese can stick to your fingers more.

13. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I am selective. I go for generic brands in stuffs like salt or sugar. I try out new things in small quantities and see which suits me best.

I plan my next purchase depending on that.

I find generic items at my end as good as the branded ones Moreover, they are cheaper.

14. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I always purchase store/generic- brand sugar and salt. I even notice that some store-brand sugar is natural which they extract from sugar cane. Same goes for the salt which they claim it's ''ocean salt'' while branded items don't claim this. So they seem to be healthier as well.

15. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    Unless the name brand is on sale cheaper then the generic, I buy generic. I have never had a problem with quality, even medicine I read some where by law the ingredients of medication has to be the same no matter the brand (excluding vitamins and other meds that are not approved), I do not know how true that is though. I also shop at aldi a lot so there are not really many name brands there, but aldi's canned veggies are the same as del monte they are just the ones that the cuts may be messed up on. I know my whole chickens at our store are same as tyson but they may have a few feathers stuck to them still. I really have not ever had a problem with generic foods, I think the name brands are a rip off, it is just important with any food no matter what the brand is to check the ingredients and see how much junk is actually in it.